Man of tanith and Dave Bromleys fifteen or less challenge (/hopefully pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great post as usual Stuart, an inspiration whilst at the same time an honest one. Its a good reference for someone with the idea of wahting to "live off the land" without prior preperation.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i enjoyed both posts,it made me realise i wouldn't have a clue what i could eat in Britain.

best thing i learnt was putting the sleep mat inside the bivi,i cant believe i didn't think of that.
how many times i have slid of.........

thanks for posting

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Great post stuart , i loved the way u used the things u found , a car mirror casing for a bowl , the old pan u found u cooked with it , and the way u streilised the water in the the old bottles on the fire ... brilliant mate

Might give this a try.

I'm from Foreignia, hope that doesn't matter. I'm not really doing it for the prize, just realized I'm turning lazy so jumping at any incentive I can find.

Current gear list sketch, I'll refine it when I know when I head out (and the forecast):
1 a leuku knife
2 ferrocerium rod
3 heavy coat (heavier than stated)
4 canteen + cup, food (trail mix, oats, couscous, soy granules, salami, tea, bit of chocolate, 1l of water (going to be surrounded by snow and ice)
5 hammock
6 blanket (or sleeping bag)
7 underquilt
8 paracord (for the hammock, doesn't know if it counts)
9 sketch pad (A5) & pencil
10 hygiene kit (toothbrush, tooth paste, soap, possibly deodorant for the homecoming. Or rough it and use baking powder from cooking kit)

freebies:
a) small first aid kit (includes a space blanket but I promise not to use it unless I have to)
b) cellphone
c) camera
d) clothes (it's there's still lots of snow here, so I might be bit excessive by your silly English standards - two pairs of wool socks, pants, undies, long sleeved t-shirt, wool shirt, hat, gloves, scarf and gore-tex hiking sneakers. Although it wound depend on the weather, next weekend it'll be about -5°C at night, last weekend it was -13. I'll do this within a couple of weeks, have to try to hit a couple of nice days). I did count the coat as one item, to compensate for increased clothing, and there's still a few unassigned numbers.
e) moneys

Everything fits in coat and/or pant pockets (they are mighty big pockets, made a test and managed squeeze the blanket into the largest one), so no need for packs or stuff.

-jh

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Anyone do the challenge last weekend?

I'm on the countdown ~ mine starts on Sunday.

Mine will be a bit different* as it's connected to a scouting event raising funds for Shelter Box ~ Shelter Box and Scouting have had an official partnership since 2009:cool: .

* The difference is that I will be instructing as well as doing. I will endeavour to keep the number of items as low as I am able to ~ but instructing scouts in different techniques means I might be slightly higher than the fifteen :eek: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm on the countdown ~ mine starts on Sunday.
<<<
>>> I will endeavour to keep the number of items as low as I am able to ~ but instructing scouts in different techniques means I might be slightly higher than the fifteen :eek: .

I think that I have managed to finalise my kit list ~ please note that both my choices and the number of items has been affected by the instructing part of the challenge.

Personal Kit:

• Bedroll
  • Blanket coat
  • Food and water
  • Wash kit
  • IPK
  • Tarp
  • Ferro rod
  • Tinder box

The idea is to make two set ups, one with the tarp, IPK and bed roll ~ and one with natures alternatives. The tinder box is more for instruction ~ most its contents are available on site.

Tools:

• Tin snips
  • Auger
  • Ball pein hammer
  • File
  • Knife
  • Saw

Mmm, tools
    images

No cup, no plate, no problem ;) .

Luxuries:

• Stove
  • Lamp

I've put the stove and lamp under the term 'luxuries' because I haven't gone for the fastest and lightest combination ~ instead I've chosen them for aesthetics and the feel good factor.

Freebies:
  • Pack
  • FAK
  • Fone
  • Clothes I travel in ~ plus hat, mitts, scarf, waterproof

Yup, I know, that makes sixteen items ~ but it does include items for 'Show and Tell'.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Doing it tommorow my list
1-Bivi bag
2-roll mat
3-water bottle+2 (crusader)
4-Hip flask of jagermeister
5-Brew Kit
6-Spoon
7-Crusader cup
8-Torch
9-zippo lighter
10-Knife
11-Hobo stove (contains a billy can and meths stove)
12-Dog biscuits (for the Dog)
13-sleeping bag
14-Food
15-

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I will be doing one night with Lab72 and I will take the following kit.

1. Knife
2. Ferro
3. Tinder (but will try to get on site)
4. Tarp
5. Bivi
6. Doss bag
7. Roll mat
8. Pillow
9. SAT
10. Spork
11. Cup
12. Brew kit
13. Head torch
14. Cordage
15. Food and water

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE