Man of tanith and Dave Bromleys fifteen or less challenge (/hopefully pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> interesting that you chose to take tools to make life comfortable rather than comfortable bits. <<<

:lmao: Cheers Sam, the basic presumption (in line with the scouts 'Disaster Camp') was 'What would I want for the long term?'. Had I been able to have a ground fire, I would have swapped out the stove for a pair of (decent) pliers ~ and had I not been working with the scouts, the lamp would have been replaced with a copper (plus kit).

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Very nice post decorum:) food looks lovely!

It was :approve: . Only the one meal was cooked in/on the gas stove ~ everything else was done on a wood fire.

Wow I wish we had done that when I was in Scouts. Most of what we did was in the Scout hut and wide games.

Good work, looks like a lt of fun and learning was had!

You still can. I'm not a Leader in scouting, but I'm CRB'd so that I can help occasionally ~ is there anything stopping you from passing on the skills? Plus, I've got to practice so that I can show the scouts is a very useful excuse :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: .

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, this afternoon I'll be off doing my bit. I'll post a report, with pics and kitlist on my return. Will try and do a 3-nighter :p

Utter failure overhere: went away on Thursday afternoon, returned on Friday just before dinner :(

Arrived on location Thursday afternoon (6-ish), walked 2 km to location in the woods to find myself covered with mozzies all the way. Covered up completely (gloves, smock hood). Hide my kit on location and did a quick recce on the plots surrounding my area. No joy, mozzies galore. Spend the night on my intended location: just used the Jerven bag on a big layer of dead grass, as I planned to do so anyway. There wouldn't be enough daylight to construct a debris shelter (as that was my main thing to do the next day).

This time last year I was at the same location (which in summer is invested with mozzies), but accept 2 ticks nothing to worry about, hence in my preparations I didn't take any DEET with me.
This time the situation was quite different and approached summerlike conditions. I noticed the ditches in the woods were filled with (stagnant) water (mozzie playground). Remainings from heavy snowfall last winter?

Next day (Friday) I spend most of the day looking for a suitable place for the night. To no avail. Had to decide what to do: if I'd stay I had to hurry and built a shelter and prepare myself to be eaten alive during the night. An open fire isn't allowed (fire ban; if cought you'de be facing a heavy fine), so smoke to keep them at bay wasn't available. I could cover up in my Jerven bag, as I did the night before - though that didn't appeal to me that much, as I had to keep it closed as much as possible to prevent anything hungry flying in - and would be deprived of fresh air ...

As it's only a hobby, and it should be fun going out, I called it a day ... :(

Mozzies 1 - Johan 0

My kitlist:

Clothing on:
Boxershort, 1 pair long socks (ticks), cargo trousers, Brynje thermo shirt, norgie shirt, Brynje Antarctica vest, Arktis windsmock, Hanwag boots, thin gloves.

Free items:
  • Rucksack (Lowe Alpine Sting)
  • Camera
  • Phone
  • Bin liner (black, plastic)
  • FAK (homemade): plasters, large wound dressing, non-latex gloves, painkillers, immodium, tick removal thingie, sterigel, contactlens container, tissues.

Max. 15 items list:
  • Jerven Fjellduken Exclusive (200 gr./m2 liner)
  • Crusader mug
  • Esbit / hexi & stove
  • Zippo lighter
  • Fallkniven F1 knife (not used) :yikes:
  • Water & Food:

Water (10 ltr)
  • USAF pilot flask (0.5 ltr) x2, carried in Smock
  • Crusader canteen (1 ltr)
  • Foldable jerry can (ca. 8 ltr)

Food
1x MRE, 3x breakfast, 3x lunch, 2x diner, snacks (chewing gum [instead of toothbrush & -paste], chocolate peanuts [sweet], salami [salt]) & drinks (tea, sugar, Vitamin C tabs).

EDIT: Added pics

Kit lay out

CIMG0441.jpg

CIMG0442.jpg

Not to bad, weather is good, plenty of building materials ...

CIMG0443.jpg

Time for tea

CIMG0447.jpg

Water, source of all life - including creatures from hell

CIMG0455.jpg

Don't know if I can find the time for another outing before the deadline, and I also have to find a new location :( But will do my best :D

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'm out from tonight! yay.

I will have to join you in a lack of achievement Ahjno, wifely is on call so had planned to stay local and do a walk through my local wood land for two nights, scuppered by wifely being called in while I was throwing some bits in a pack, so now just going tonight, taking the pup so should be interesting for her first camp out!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I thought that it was about time that we had an updated list.

southey ~ (attempt 1, victim of real life)
man_of_tanith ~ done ~ pics #78
DaveBromley ~
stuart f ~ done ~ pics #175
CBJ ~
Woodcutter ~ done ~ pics #162
Ahjno ~ (attempt 1, fell foul of mozzie horde)
Tank ~ done ~ pics #205
lab72 ~ done ~ pics #201
Shewie ~
Raikey ~
Highbinder ~
Biker ~
decorum ~ done ~ pics #217
nova and pinky ~
Davey569 ~

I thought that it was about time that we had an updated list.

southey ~ (attempt 1, victim of real life)
man_of_tanith ~ done ~ pics #78
DaveBromley ~
stuart f ~ done ~ pics #175
CBJ ~
Woodcutter ~ done ~ pics #162
Ahjno ~ (attempt 1, fell foul of mozzie horde)
Tank ~ done ~ pics #205
lab72 ~ done ~ pics #201
Shewie ~
Raikey ~
Highbinder ~
Biker ~
decorum ~ done ~ pics #217
nova and pinky ~
Davey569 ~

Nice one
Saves me having to scroll through loads of banter later on.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Arrgh! I am so frustrated! Even got to my little patch of local woodland this evening, then one of wifely's subordinates decided to get them selves nicked for drunk and stupid behaviour. Now sat here looking for more kit to sell so as to buy a cool(could be silly) knife! Silly kids these days! At least she isn't on call next weekend. Yay.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
[1] Note book
[2] Plant I'd book
[3] Billy can
[4] Amadu
[5] sizel rope
[6] Steel striker
[7] spoon knife
[8] Bag of oats and milk powder mix
[9] Binoculars
[10] Hootchie
[11] Wool blanket
[12] Axe
[13] Folding saw
[14] Hellion 2020
[15] Woody = swapped for mora

FAK,bin bag,mobile, camera and wash kit. no pack, Wifey not on duty, dropped off tomorrow afternoon. at this point it's a GO!

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Maybe I should enter this but my gears all camping related ,
Berghaus Cyclops roc,
Trangia burner ,
Jervens thermo XL,
poncho liners x 2
lighter
candles
Helsport lavvulight
.7 litre eagle kettle
kuksa
spoon
orblieb water bladder .
Passport,

Two nights Oslo last week ,

P3290040.jpg

P3300153.jpg

P3300163.jpg

Twodogs

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ahh very good point matey,

[1] wash kit
[2] Plant I'd book
[3] Billy can
[4] Amadu
[5] sizel rope
[6] Steel striker
[7] spoon knife
[8] food and water
[9] Binoculars
[10] Hootchie
[11] Wool blanket
[12] Axe
[13] Folding saw = swapped for buck saw
[14] Hellion 2020(Mykle Hawke's take on a SURVIVAL knife)
[15] knife

first aid kit,bin bag,mobile, camera and no pack

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Why carry a first aid kit when I didnt carry a knife being a adult I concidered the risk ? :cool:

Berghaus Cyclops roc, Free
Trangia burner ,
Jervens thermo XL,
poncho liners x 2
lighter
candles
Helsport lavvulight
.7 litre eagle kettle
kuksa
spoon
orblieb water bladder .
Passport,
wash kit Free

no knife
Twodogs

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE