Man of tanith and Dave Bromleys fifteen or less challenge (/hopefully pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
This sounds rather interesting, are the results based on skills or pure survivability as such?

I'd like to be included in this if possible, we did our first overnighter last night, realising that half the kit i took was a waste of space ( had the Landy so felt i cheated abit ;) ) and it turned into a camping trip on dartmoor more than anything else ( although i did put fire starting lessons and cooking to good use )

Would love to give this a go though, found a few spots on Dartmoor which are possible natural areas for a shelter set up to save on items taken.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Well, back from 2 great nights in the woods. A bit of a wet start, but after about 6pm Friday night rain stopped, chilly damp night, set up in the rain, got the fire going in the rain, still we had a great nights kip, checked my watch which I hung in a tree away from fire and at 3am (when I got up to answer the call of nature) it was -1.9 (have a casio Protrek with all the gubins on it).

Anyway, onto to some pics, this was Saturday morning, lovely bit of woodland, all the new growth just starting to show.

IMG_0902.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0901.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0895.jpg
[/IMG]

Home for the night. Auditors amongst you will notice a billy on the fire, which wasn't on my list. I changed my 15 items a little, full list at the end.
IMG_0900.jpg

As it was Super Moon night we decided to move to the other side of the woods (south edge) to get a better view later, turned out to be a lovely sunny spot too, breeze a little chilly but still bright and warmish. Lovely great fallen tree to sit on, whittling, eating, brew drinking, etc etc.

IMG_0944.jpg
[/IMG]

We're ground dwellers, so here is our accommodation set up for the night, no rain so no tarp, can't beat sleeping under the stars, especially when the moon was so huge and bright, (like leaving the landing light on)

Simple proven set up, sleep mat (inside bivy bag) army issue arctic sleeping bags, army issue gortex bivy bags. Not the lightest kit, but guaranteed a good nights sleep. Also a ground sheet in this case which was in the bottom of my bergan, but still within our 15.

IMG_0957.jpg
[/IMG]

The sharps shot. GB small forest, Guycep Woodie, my boys Shing baby bushy (scales by me)

IMG_0942.jpg
[/IMG]

A couple more of my new favourite, got this thursday so first run out. It performed impeccably, everything from battening, whittling, even spreading butter! sharpened over a dozen sticks, split wrist thick logs etc. Just give it clean before I put it away for a week or two and it still takes hairs of my arm, a very impressive tool.

IMG_0937.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0939.jpg
[/IMG]

Some whittling.
IMG_0972.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0971.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0975.jpg
[/IMG]

My boy, ghillie suit top and hat on, ready for hide and seek!
IMG_0948.jpg
[/IMG]

He is in this picture!
IMG_0953.jpg
[/IMG]

A swing we made with parcord, well actually my brother in law made who came to see us for best part of the day.
IMG_0982.jpg
[/IMG]

Credit where credit due, here he is on the way up the tree, and he calls me a northern monkey!
IMG_0978.jpg
[/IMG]

The start of the evening fire (saturday)
IMG_0988.jpg
[/IMG]

In full swing after dark.
IMG_0990.jpg
[/IMG]

Me sunday morning just debating getting out of my scratcher.
IMG_1005.jpg
[/IMG]

Hope you liked the pictures, had a great time as always. My 15 were as follows.

Tarp, Bivy bag, Sleeping bag, roll mat, groundsheet, Mug, Billy can, crusader mess tin, spork, knife, axe, food & water, Hip flask, head torch, sit mat.

My son had the same except no axe, no hip flask, no sit mat. He had ghillie suit, night vision goggles and itouch instead.

In the interests of honesty I must admit I had not included para cord as an item on my list as it was already attached to my tarp as usual, we did however go tarp free on the second night and used the cord for a swing in penance!

We of course had the free items.

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
good entry guys

I would say that a bible counts as 1 of your items actually, otherwise everyione gets to take a book and eventually you can have a landy full of free stuff and then only take 2 items lol

Dave

Nirgal

Mar 17, 2011
London
I thought this looked really good when you described it to us in the other place MoT. Are you planning on going again soon? Your gaff isn't too far from me, it could be a bit of fun...

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Going to do a one nighter this week just to see how I get on. A little practice I guess. Heres what I have so far;

Free items - Phone, FAK, Housekeys, rucksack (snugpak rocketpak)

1. Knife
2. Firesteel
3. Waterbottle
4. Crusader mug
5. Paracord
6. Emergency food

I think thats all I need really. :)

I thought this looked really good when you described it to us in the other place MoT. Are you planning on going again soon? Your gaff isn't too far from me, it could be a bit of fun...

at the moment it depends if i can get another pass to go out as Lisa's due date is rapidly approaching and i only have so many brownie points to cash as it were ;)
i'll let you knoiw if you like?

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Itching to see more pics... I'll be out again in a few weeks but only for one night. Motivated by this thread to take less from now on. Its nice to take stuff I own sometimes to use, which I'm sure we all do, why else do we buy these bits and bobs, but also nice to take less. Have two aims this year, one is to reduce my long back bergan (100 odd litres) to my Maxp Vulcan (about 40) also me and my brother in law are intending to do a whatever we can fit in our pockets night too. Granted I will have my SAS smock, so have a fare bit of pocket capacity, but still looking forward to it, will wait for warmer months though, want to enjoy it as well. Planning on a knife, steel mug, millbank bag, poncho (depending on weather) water bottle, ration pack, and my hip flask of course!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,well have just completed the 2 night challenge,and a long review.
Well i went with just 4 items.
Kit list.
1-wool blanket
2-knife
3-ferro rod
4-jogging pants.
Plus freebies,FAK, Mobile phone,camera and rucksack.
Anyway I headed out Monday morning, I walked to my intended site for the 2 nights.
It was a fine sunny day and as I walked I picked up possibles that were free for the picking.
I started with some of last years nettles,stripping off the fibre.
Fibres stripped
2nightchallenge27800x600.jpg

As I strolled,I made the fibre up into cordage,whilst scanning around for anything that caught my eye.
Cordage
2nightchallenge35800x600.jpg

Well would you believe it,I came upon some easily gathered cordage,some kids must have been playing with under a Holly bush.
Free cord
2nightchallenge41800x600.jpg

Farther on I went into the woods where I started to gather up some edibles for my evening meal.
After that ,you know its strange how some peoples discards,are another mans treasure.
I found a frying pan and a car wing mirror casing,I had intended to cook my meals in the embers in the fire,but just could’nt leave these things lying.
2nightchallenge30800x600.jpg

The handle on the pan fell off when I picked it up,but that was no hardship.
So I finally made it too my campsite.
First on the agenda was a fire and to fetch some water,but I needed containers to collect it,looking around I found various discarded bottles,plastic and glass.
2nightchallenge18800x600.jpg

I took these and filled them from the small burn near camp,next it was tinder I had to find.
Dry dead Goose grass,Bracken,Cherry bark as well as Birch. Using my knife I shaved the birch bark to get a fine tinder,then I struck sparks from the ferro rod.With the fire going and the glass bottles in to purify my water.
2nightchallenge26800x600-1.jpg

Water nearly boiling
2nightchallenge22800x600.jpg

My mind now turned to shelter.
I chose the solo kennel,first I laid down logs for a raised bed then constructed the shelter around it.
Bed and frame
2nightchallenge23800x600.jpg

2nightchallenge44800x600.jpg

Next it was a light covering of fine twigs and then leaf litter
2nightchallenge12800x600.jpg

2nightchallenge20800x600.jpg

I also needed a door so that got constructed next
Finished shelter and door
2nightchallenge39800x600.jpg

Inside
2nightchallenge28800x600.jpg

As time was slipping by,it was time for my meal.
Ingredients
Sweet cicely
2nightchallenge40800x600.jpg

Ramsons
2nightchallenge43800x600.jpg

Pignuts
2nightchallenge31800x600.jpg

Plus Jelly/Jews ear fungi and Nettle tops.
So soup it was
Cooking
2nightchallenge6800x600.jpg

Whilst it was cooking,I knocked up a rough spoon from Willow which was my fire wood.
2nightchallenge45800x600.jpg

Ready for eating
2nightchallenge21800x600.jpg

After my meal the rest of the night was spent in front of the fire
As I watched the flames,i got to thinking about protein,so i took one of the plastic bottles and made it into a Minnow trap
2nightchallenge25800x600.jpg

By this time I was well and truly knackered,so I put 3 big stones in the fire to heat,these would be my hot water bottles,and turned in.
Well the night was not the best sleep I,ve had outdoors as the cold woke me several times,I don’t know what the temp was,but when I crawled out the shelter there had been a frost overnight.
In the morning it was time to set the trap,which I baited with worms that were a by catch whilst digging Pignuts,I also up turned fallen logs to get a few more. A short stroll down to the river,and I baited and weighted the trap,next into the river it went,to be left until the next morning.
In the river
2nightchallenge13800x600.jpg

By now I could feel my energy waining,I had no food stocks left,so I resorted to eating Hawthorn buds that were just emerging,and small Ramson leaves which are not as strong tasting as the big leaves.This I did while I climbed back up to my shelter.
Back in front of the fire,which needed re-lighting,I was really feeling the effects of blood sugar loss.I really had to force myself to get up and go. I re-lit the fire by showering the old fire dogs with sparks from the ferro,then blowing them back to flame.Next it was time to try and replace some of the calories I’d used up, fortunately I came upon more Pignuts which I hadn’t seen before closeby,so I munched away merrily,savouring there taste,though I did’nt plunder the area,I collected more Nettles and Ramsons with some young Goose grass growth.Back at the fire I dry stir fryed them for lunch.
The car wing mirror casing came in handy as a collecting container
2nightchallenge33800x600.jpg

Stir fried greens
2nightchallenge800x600.jpg

After that most of the rest of the day was spent infront of the fire trying to conserve calories,I fell asleep a couple of times,only to be awoken by Roe deer walking through camp.Sorry no photos though as I was just to tired.I also tried Knapping one of the glass bottle bottoms.I’m still practicing so no fine arrow heads were made,just lots of shards,oh well more practice me thinks.
I headed to the shelter for the night whilst it was still light,and turned in,again not the best nights sleep,I was cold which woke me again even though it was raining outside and mild,I think the lack of calories played a big part though.
Well so today I got up at first light,tidied up camp,and got ready for the head home.
I left the shelter up for future use.
One last look before setting off,and saying my thanks to the wood.
2nightchallenge17800x600.jpg

On the way back down i stopped off to check my Minnow trap, and it worked, for inside were 2 Salmon Parr
Sorry about the pic as I was in need of some nourishment back home
2nightchallenge32800x600.jpg

The fish were returned back to the river safe and well,as I had no need to eat them,anyway I was having a big fried breakfast when I eventually shuffled home.
And that was my 2 night 15items or less challenge.
Oh dear,sorry for the long post.
Thanks for looking
Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE