Man of tanith and Dave Bromleys fifteen or less challenge (/hopefully pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
So based on my decide my kit thread and daves fifteen or less thread we have come up with a comp for those of you who fancy a challenge

A prize of a hand made tinder pouch by me and possibly some more bits to sweeten the deal is available for the winner

Basically take fifteen or less items out for two nights and the best entry wins! simple eh :)

However we have been discussing this and have come up with some rules/saftey ideas and so on as to how we will choose the winner

1) First Aid Kit and mobile phone are free bleeding out or being desperately in need of rescue isnt good and to do so for bragging rights and a prize is silly.

2) As for clothing imagine what you would wear on a cold day going on a 1-2 hour walk so hat gloves good base mid and waterproof layers pants and boots/socks anything over and above is included in the 15

3) The best 5 entrants will be picked by Myself and Dave and then put up in a poll, the winner will get the prize.

4) Entrants would be picked on the basis of most done with least kit, ingenuity and sense of adventure.

5) The time limit will be 2 months to allow everyone time to get out and give it a go

6) Once the entrants have been picked the vote will go on for a week

7) Proof WE need a picture of all kit laid out and a write up of the load out. extra pictures of items in use will earn extra points camera is also a free item based on this rule

8) If you carry the kit for a walk first that gains extra points

9) Entrants need to stay out for 2 nights at least longer trips with minimal kit could gain extra points

10) Anyone using natural shelters and generally sourcing materials i.e cordage etc would get more points

11) If you're a smoker you are allowed smokes and so on for free if you use lighter for stove firelighting it becomes one of the fifteen

12) Food and water are one item

13)multiple entries are permitted

14) Have Fun!

please post interest in this thread and also your trip photo's and write ups in here too
this will make it easier for myself and dave to find it all when it is decision time.

hopefully you will all embrace this as the bit of a laugh it is intended to be

looking forward to seeing submissions

Sam

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
YEAH! I'm up for this for the Dartmoor meet beginning of April, cool,great idea chaps, it's good to pair down the kit every once in a while to remind you what you don't need.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'm hoping that EVERYONE will at least give this a bash, 2 months should allow even the busiest amongst us the time to take 2 nights out. Good luck chaps

Dave

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Count me in, out for two nights next week. As above what are rules for more than one person, my son will be with me for the second night.

Personally i think if there is two of you then you get 15 each wait and see what dave says
As for rucksack well i am hoping that it will be a free one although i was also debating some sort of blanket roll to avoid this issue
Woodcutter if your son brings his own stuff and you dont use any of them then thats cool i am doing a one nighter this weekend but a mate is coming who isnt doing the challenge so although he will have more kit i do not plan to use any of it so i am still in the rules such as they are.
glad folk are game for it wouldnt want to be giving southey the prize without him putting any effort in :lmao:

So thr list as i read it
Me although i am only doing a one nighter at moment depending if i can get permission to go out again from lisa
Southey
Stuart F
CBJ
Woodcutter
Ahjno

hopefully nova and pinky too

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
yeah
do you still have all your fingers after playing with the last prize?
and are the letters b o r i s slightly deeper in your keyboard than the rest?

Hahaha, I've been taking pics of my latest carvings, using your very generous prize for the write I promised! and it will feature heavily in my 15 items. I now have a new keyboard!

good work southey
this weekend i am doing my challenge as it was suggested prior to this thread but only for one night
with sufficient whinging/begging i might be allowed two nights but as i am offering the prize tis really just for my pride than anything else.

dont forget you get points for ingenuity/bushcrafty skills displayed, plus anything you find on route and use doesnt count but could be very helpful.
note that if you ''find'' a fully loaded bergen with all comforts in it i will personally be a little dubious

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As I get to do something very similar in April anyway, I might as well stick my name down.

man_of_tanith
Southey
Stuart F
CBJ
Woodcutter
Ahjno
nova and pinky - to confirm
decorum
Tank

Personally i think if there is two of you then you get 15 each wait and see what dave says

My thought is that it depends on whether items are shared. If shared items count only on only one persons list, surely it gives groups a huge advantage over individuals ~ a shared tarp could mean an extra cutting tool, a shared stove might mean you can choose to take your strop and so on. Hopefully that makes sense.

I would ask that, as mentioned in the RC March Meet thread, if ground fires are not permitted* / suitable* / safe* then a raised and contained fire (firebox, jerry can etc) is not counted in your items. Same proviso ~ no use of grills, unless not using it/them would lead to injury or damage. But bringing in processed fuel would obviously count as an item.

* our pitch at RC is leaf mold ~ and it can smoulder away merrily :yikes: .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE