Made a silly, amateur mistake today.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Put pressure on the spine of a folding knife, edge side up, mechanism failed and cut in to the tip of my thumb.

What a fool I feel. Got it elevated and dressed for now as it was fairly deep but not deep enough for stitches.

I'd have liked to share a victory but I figured part of any woodsman, aspiring or otherwise, should be honest especially to themselves about their failings.

Stay safe :)

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
i made one today as well , i asked a young man to remove his mutt from pulling a limb off a tree and when it released i got whiplashed from a branch in the goolies.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
You know the rules......pictures or it didn't happen !

Put pressure on the spine of a folding knife, edge side up, mechanism failed and cut in to the tip of my thumb.

What a fool I feel. Got it elevated and dressed for now as it was fairly deep but not deep enough for stitches.

I'd have liked to share a victory but I figured part of any woodsman, aspiring or otherwise, should be honest especially to themselves about their failings.

Stay safe :)

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Thinking of going to see the Doc in the morning just in case. Haven't had a tetanus jab in, well, ever that I know of... and I can't tell if there's a tiny bit of rust at the base of the blade or if it's dry blood. I suppose it's better safe than sorry even if it's only a surface cut.

If you use knives long enough you will surely cut yourself - probably sooner than later. I'm pretty sure it's a mathematical law, but I'm not sure which. It may be a corollary of "live by the sword..." It works for bouncing checks too. Just try to do better next time.

It's why I carry a tiny little pocket fixed blade.

What did you say?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
We all make mistakes, you have just proved your human! Hope it heels quick.

If you don't think or can remember if you've had a tetanus jab it's probably best to see the doc.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hope you heal fast. You like got a tet shot while you were in secondry school. Supposed to get a booster every decade though my doc said it lasts longer than that. Though if you work/play outdoors or with soil it's best to keep them up to date.
One of the most stupid ones I did was drilling a piece of wood on much lap. Drill went through and into my thigh, just missing the femoral artery. Luckily it caught/twisted in my jeans slowing down the drill so it didn't go as deep as it could've.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Ouch. I learnt my lesson when I was about 6. Had an opinel no 7 from the kitchen and thought i'd see what happened when i stabbed it into a big ball of string. The inch long scar is as fresh now as it ever was. Had a babysitter around at the time so was too scared to say anything so just locked myself in the bathroom and cried :) Lock or no lock i learnt not to use folders for anything but slicing.

Thinking of going to see the Doc in the morning just in case. Haven't had a tetanus jab in, well, ever that I know of... and I can't tell if there's a tiny bit of rust at the base of the blade or if it's dry blood. I suppose it's better safe than sorry even if it's only a surface cut.

i hope you get better soon.:eek: rust on a blade does not neccesarily mean infection/tetanus - it*s dirt which is the problem. [ i once impaled my right index finger on a piece of rusty wire climbing over a 2m high fence and tried for several minutes to figure out which way to pull it out [as i could not see that]- despite having no valid tetanus shot i had no problems afterwards]

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
i just recieved my new Mora 106 in the post, for whittling. I was giving it a quick test and thought to myself the blades a little long for what i like, could cut myself with that.

Genuinely 1 minute or so later, and i had a pretty nice gash in my left index finger. Still bleeding as i type.. :lmao:

Im just glad i never bought the axe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE