Luxury camp cookery workshop?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Eric_Methven said:
OK then, if someone wants to bring along a haunch of venison we can do a ground oven as well. If it's possible to make it a four day event (Friday to Monday inclusive) we can do loads of different stuff each day.

Eric

Now that is a good idea! I've never cooked in an earth oven, and I'd love to learn how it's done. :)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
OK then, I've been thinking about doing this properly. I'd like to do a different cooking method each main mealtime. A ground oven for one main meat course and a cauldron over the fire for another. Each meal will be suplemented with a large pot of vegetable stew known as pottage. It's basically vegetables and pulse such as barley and rice done up like a very thick scotch broth - lovely, nutritious and filling.

I'm prepared to dedicate myself to the entire weekend with short breaks to have the odd paddle. We can make a bread oven first thing and bake fresh bread early each morning for everyone. If enough people are interested we'll take it in turns making bread and rolls.

We'll also have a soakaway pit dug well away from the water for dirty water from cooking and washing up so it doesn't contaminate the loch.

So, how does that sound. Fresh warm bread and rolls for breakfast, a communal group meal at lunch time and fend for yourself at supper time. There will be a kettle on the go all the time for brew ups (as there would be in any normal base camp). I'll need a list of volunteers for each part of the process you are interested in learning about, and I'd expect you to stick to it all the way through the session. I want to avoid people starting then finding something more interesting and sloping off. It's happened before where I've ended up doing the whole meal by myself so I think I need to be up front about it and ask for committment from participants once the meal session has started.

Of course anyone who wants to just do their own thing the whole weekend is fine as well. And in that case you'd be welcome to observe the processes and ask questions, but if you're part of the team, I'd like you to see it through to the end of the meal. Participants will also be expected to lend a hand clearing up after the meals.

Think about it then, there's lots to learn and experience. I'll make a proviso menu and you can let me know what parts you want to join in on. I can then make up a list of volunteers so we can all do a shift and enjoy the rest of the time paddling or whatever.

Eric

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
i'm definetly up for this too!! if needs be, i can probably get my hands on different meats come this autumn ( mostly wood pigeon, rabbit, venison etc) as the old man starts to stock up the chest freezer in his garage with an assortment of game.

regards
james

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Stuart, don't know when for sure exactly. Probably sometime in September. Location will most likely be Loch Achray (or somewhere nearby). I'm sure there will be a new thread in the meetup section soon.

Eric

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Mate are you sure - ex andy clydes commandos and you didnt even put salmon fishcakes on the menu - youre having us on.
Seriously ive had some fantastic grub in the field by army chefs, at all hours as well. Loch Thingy is an awful long way from sunny kent - id love to join you but i fear that SWMBO will veto it on desil costs alone.

Nick

But i am jealous though

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
If young Cameron had caught a salmon (or a decent trout even) I might have done fishcakes, but alas he caught nowt! He had a great time trying though.

41small.jpg

Eric

strollon

Mar 4, 2005
suffolk
eric, great idea please put me in as a provisional, i would love to cook like a professional or at least enjoy what i had cooked.

regards strollon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE