Lowest Form

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have no doubt at all that this is the one of most interesting and informative internet forums that I have ever participated in, but i have seen a new trend creeping in lately that concerns me.

Increasingly threads and suggestions are being answered with sarcasm and in some cases outright aggresive disagreement.

Perhaps the sarcasm is meant as wit but very often there seems to be a nasty edge to it that causes threads to spiral out of control and get shut down.

I have seen new members subjected to tirades that hardly encourage them to stay and I have seen some older members leaving the forum for similar reasons.

So can I just call for a little bit of restraint. I'm not saying don't make jokes, I'm just saying that before you hit the submit button think twice.

Think, could this offend someone I have never met that does not understand my particular sense of humour.

Then think, does this add anything useful to this discussion in a way that doesn't sound aggressive or patronising.

I have met many members from this forum around a mixture of events and camp fires and I'm quite sure that the majority here have nothing but good intentions.

Unfortunately there seem to be one or two about lately that think the way to good discussion is through provoking argument at any cost. :(

Let's try and keep it friendly..... :grouphug:

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Aye, this is what happens when a forum "matures" oft times it results in clannish behaviour and cliques. I find this place refreshingly different from some of the other (Larger) forums that I used to frequent. The people here seem incredibly down to earth and very helpful.

Lets see if we cant keep it this way and as mum used to say 'If you dont have something nice to say, then dont say anything"

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
One of the reason's why I don't bother posting on the river cottage forum anymore.
It got to the point where one person was saying I was `a 4 foot 6 st computer 4-eyed geek who wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life, and would get a real smack if I was ever seen`

Didn't seem much point after this. I still had the last laugh - I'm 6ft1 and overweight :)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I couldn't agree with you more, but its hard not to get a lil angry with other people sometimes. I cant say Iv never had a rant or been rude, sarcastic or ignorent though.

I think we all have to respect each others ways and methods of doing things and respond politely if they are perhaps way off. I beleive this is the greater way of learning and understanding. I think sometimes we forget that were on a forum here.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
sharp88 said:
I couldn't agree with you more, but its hard not to get a lil angry with other people sometimes. I cant say Iv never had a rant or been rude, sarcastic or ignorent though.

I think we all have to respect each others ways and methods of doing things and respond politely if they are perhaps way off. I beleive this is the greater way of learning and understanding. I think sometimes we forget that were on a forum here.

Good points.It feels like a chat with mates most of the time.

Wayland's point about the sense of humour is spot on;I tend to forget that I'm communicating with strangers,who don't know how strange I am. :rolleyes: :)

Apologies if I have upset anyone. :( No malicious intent,honest.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Very well said.

Members (and we are members, this is not a free site!) need to remember and respect that other points of view may not be a their own.
If that is the case then so be it, but try to see the world from their side side of the fence, do not assume that "This is my opinion...i am right and you are wrong"

I have worked with people like this before who had 'strong' views on gun ownership, i was subjected to a 3 year tirade of abuse about how a 'civilised' society had no need for guns etc etc. I weathered the storm by ignoring them or good natured banter.

Words do not always adequatly describe our feelings at the time (copiuous use of smillies can help) but perhaps members should seek to clarify anothers members point of view before launching into them using the PM system, keep it off the forum. It may be unfortunate wording has mis-interpreted their feelings.

I agree wholeheartedly with Wayland post:

"Think twice before you hit the 'submit' button" ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I try very hard to restrain my fascetious sense of humour :rolleyes: , I know it offends and can appear very cutting so I make a strenuous effort on-line *not* to indulge. However, if I fail, it's *my* fault, not someone else's because *they* didn't understand what I really meant.

This is a British site, restrained icy politeness works every bit as well as ranting and raving when trying to get a point across. Succinct statements are more effective, and more likely to be read and understood, than long rambling discourses.

I like this site, I really like the vast majority of the people who post and contribute so much to the breadth and depth of the conversations. I very much don't want to see the atmosphere spoiled for us all.

Thanks for the thread Wayland et al :You_Rock_

atb,
mary

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Guilty I guess but this does rather beg the question if we want the ‘real’ (less than perfect) person or some airbrushed approximation of what constitutes the ideal bushcraft contributor. For what it’s worth I confess to often cringing at the lengths some contributors will go in saying something that is, for want of a more earthy description, no more than an attempt to ingratiate themselves within the so-called bushcraft community – almost as if they await, by return post, a note of acknowledgement for their wise words and from no less than the “great man” himself.

Just a thought and for the record I really don’t mind how you choose to catch your fish providing such is sustainable and you’re wearing tweed!

Cheers

Klench
Ps: Without sarcasm humour, at least throughout this wee Isle, would be very dead.

Reactions: drstrange

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Wayland said:
Unfortunately there seem to be one or two about lately that think the way to good discussion is through provoking argument at any cost.

There's another one?? But I'm the only gay in the Village!! :D

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wayland said:
I have no doubt at all that this is the one of most interesting and informative internet forums that I have ever participated in, but i have seen a new trend creeping in lately that concerns me.

Increasingly threads and suggestions are being answered with sarcasm and in some cases outright aggresive disagreement.

Perhaps the sarcasm is meant as wit but very often there seems to be a nasty edge to it that causes threads to spiral out of control and get shut down.

I have seen new members subjected to tirades that hardly encourage them to stay and I have seen some older members leaving the forum for similar reasons.

So can I just call for a little bit of restraint. I'm not saying don't make jokes, I'm just saying that before you hit the submit button think twice.

Think, could this offend someone I have never met that does not understand my particular sense of humour.

Then think, does this add anything useful to this discussion in a way that doesn't sound aggressive or patronising.

I have met many members from this forum around a mixture of events and camp fires and I'm quite sure that the majority here have nothing but good intentions.

Unfortunately there seem to be one or two about lately that think the way to good discussion is through provoking argument at any cost. :(

Let's try and keep it friendly..... :grouphug:

I suspect that one at least one count I am guilty as charged yer onor.

I would however like to point out that its never meant to be nasty.

Also I work on a building site where we all rip the P*** out of each other constantly and at the end of the day say "have a good night" and the morning we ask about each others previous night before getting back into ripping the P*** again.
I work with some quite resiliant people and sometimes I expect all people to be a bit sharp also.

Its just a laugh and never meant to really offend anyone.
Rattle their cage slightly? Perhaps, but not to really offend.

Regards Scott.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
well said mr wayland.

i posted a thread yesterday that i thought would be humerous and chucklesome, but the thread was beautifully intercepted by leon-1 after identification as inciteful and potentially troublesome (big ups to leon).

i'd just had me morning coffee and was slighlty excitable. sarcasm and fascetiousness don't seem to translate to well in text.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE