Look what I found!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
griddle.jpg

Made from genuine mithril(TM)

I havent tried it yet, half inclined to keep it.

or I may pass it on.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's a good find indeed :D

If you ever come across a totally flat, smallish (about 25cms) girdle with a folding handle, would you let me know ?
The fitted in hob in the kitchen in this house just doesn't fit either my traditional cast iron one or the square one meant for gas cookers.

cheers,
M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, you could of course use it as one...

No, the seller told me most people didnt know what it was.

I did, as my welsh uncle has one, and of course Ive seen Toddys.

(Ive seen cast iron ones at car boots...£25...)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, thats what my welsh uncle tells me.

GRIDDLE, not GIRDLE....

And hes welsh, so he must be right.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You've seen Toddy's girdle?:confused: :cool:

Yep, and it's cast iron :lmao:

:lmao: Seriously, it's called a girdle in some parts of the north of England ( I have a genuine, cast aluminium Made in England "The Original Girdle". It's the square one meant for the gas cooker. ) and in Scotland.

Up here a girdle is something you cook on, not step into, that was called a belt.

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its a lot better than this flat frying pan.

it contracts with a worrying clunk! in the heat and has hot spots

But it looks good, and was no doubt cheap, so thats why the flats have them.

Lucky I brought my jam pan for chutneying. (last night it was used to boil pasta.)

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Envy, envy.... I've been after a cast iron one for ages, what a good find.

That said, I do have various kinds of toasting & waffle irons all gleaned from charity shops where no-one seems to understand quite what they're for either. They've proved to be very useful when bunged on the embers of a campfire.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yep, and it's cast iron :lmao:

:lmao: Seriously, it's called a girdle in some parts of the north of England ( I have a genuine, cast aluminium Made in England "The Original Girdle". It's the square one meant for the gas cooker. ) and in Scotland.

Up here a girdle is something you cook on, not step into, that was called a belt.

cheers,
Toddy

I wouldn't have expected anything else other than you having a cast iron girdle Mary :D..............Girdle, griddle...................lets call the whole thing off. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

Thankfully I'm young enough to have missed the whole thirties to the seventies essential wrap around rubberised tummy tucker inners :rolleyes: I don't know *how* women ever got used to wearing those things. I have enough bother wearing period corsetry for a day or two never mind a lifetime :eek:
I tried on one of those lycra all in one thingies that GokWan advocates...........nearest thing to being inside a boa constrictor I could ever imagine. :D Never again in this lifetime.

Girdles are the original bakestones, from breads to scones, pancakes to oatcakes, they make a good job of toasting the acorns for coffee, the oats for cranachan and hazelnuts for biscuits. They are ideal for crumpets and for soda scones. If you pop a deep pot lid over the top it even makes a great pizza :cool: It cooks chapattis and tortillas and nachos too :)
And the two I have don't fit this cooker I'm using nowadays :(

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Thankfully I'm young enough to have missed the whole thirties to the seventies essential wrap around rubberised tummy tucker inners :rolleyes: I don't know *how* women ever got used to wearing those things. I have enough bother wearing period corsetry for a day or two never mind a lifetime :eek:
I tried on one of those lycra all in one thingies that GokWan advocates...........nearest thing to being inside a boa constrictor I could ever imagine. :D Never again in this lifetime.

Girdles are the original bakestones, from breads to scones, pancakes to oatcakes, they make a good job of toasting the acorns for coffee, the oats for cranachan and hazelnuts for biscuits. They are ideal for crumpets and for soda scones. If you pop a deep pot lid over the top it even makes a great pizza :cool: It cooks chapattis and tortillas and nachos too :)
And the two I have don't fit this cooker I'm using nowadays :(

atb,
M

So you want an iron gypsy one (the sort with the pouring lip). I have come across a couple lately (smallish 9" size). Didn't bother as I have a monster one in the same pattern

If you want me to keep an eye out, nothing easier

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, no, I think you are describing the frying pans, yes ? I have a set of two of those, we keep the smaller one for Veggie food and the other for Meat.

If you are finding them though, there's more than a few folks would be interested. They are seriously good things.

The girdle I'm looking for it is a smaller version of the one I take for a settled camp. It's cast iron, flat without any edge or rim, and has a fold down handle that has a ring fitted in the top of the arc so it could be swung on an arm over the fire. It's just too big for the cooker otherwise it'd be in constant use.

Thank you kindly for the offer though :)

cheers,
M

pwb

Nice find Tengu :) .

It's cast iron, flat without any edge or rim, and has a fold down handle that has a ring fitted in the top of the arc so it could be swung on an arm over the fire.

That sound like the one my dad makes his scones on :D . Cast iron with a folding handle, minus the ring on the handle though.

He had a problem with it having an uneven base so he took it to the local engineering works to see if it could be ground flat.

They actually took off the handle skimmed the base in a lathe and refitted the handle , all for a charge of some scones and a jar of home made marmalade :cool: .

Cheers,
Pete.

Just thought....My dads got a girdle :eek: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE