Withdrawn POST OFFICE DESTROYING KNIFE - THE END !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mervg

Dec 7, 2014
uk
I would like to thank you all for your helpful comments. It would appear that this is an isolated incident rather than a common occurrence. Andy and myself have just been unlucky. I don’t want to scaremonger the buying & selling of bladed items.
I have sent a complaint to the post office but not had a response as yet but I will update when I hear anything.
I have now marked this post as withdrawn and it maybe an idea for the powers that be to move the post to another location ???
Cheers Merv

Ianlc

Jul 20, 2022
Plymouth
I had the same thing a few weeks ago.
Bark river JX5.
Got confiscated and destroyed :(.
It was sent first class without age verification so nothing to be done.

Reactions: Mervg

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
That is far more worrying given it doesn't appear to be related to posting it without age verification. Not good.

The fact that there is no appeals process is appalling; I suspect only a court case or sufficient negative publicity will make them introduce such a process though.

Stlh374

Jul 12, 2022
Shropshire
This isn't the end this is what I got thos is where if you want them back you have to fight your corner you have to email the dangerous goods department with the reference number on the letter the problem is the more people that just forget about it the more they will do it and the more knives will be lost it took me 2 and a bit weeks folsom getting the letter to getting my knives back and they won't be destroyed they carnt destroy them for 30 days from sending the letter as they have to give you chance to contact them

Reactions: rowen

Stlh374

Jul 12, 2022
Shropshire
That is far more worrying given it doesn't appear to be related to posting it without age verification. Not good.

The fact that there is no appeals process is appalling; I suspect only a court case or sufficient negative publicity will make them introduce such a process though.
The problem is there is an appeals people just give up I work for the police even we carnt destroy stuff straight away we have to give the person chance to appeal the royal mail will also need permission to destroy goods that don't belong to them as its theft if they don't follow the rules

Reactions: Mervg

Mervg

Dec 7, 2014
uk
That’s interesting. Thanks. I will definitely follow up again. I did email them last week sometime but didn’t get a response. Cheers Merv

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
So is the lesson to learn here to use an age verified delivery service - then you will have no problems? I presume using another delivery provider will be less troublesome too?

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Had a look at the various couriers - and all of them seem to have restrictions/bans on sending knives. How does one actually send a knife safely these days if you are not a business?

Stlh374

Jul 12, 2022
Shropshire
A couple of couriers will
That’s interesting. Thanks. I will definitely follow up again. I did email them last week sometime but didn’t get a response. Cheers Merv
Your argument needs to be there not a hunting combat knife there a traditional Scandinavian bushcraft set

Stlh374

Jul 12, 2022
Shropshire
Had a look at the various couriers - and all of them seem to have restrictions/bans on sending knives. How does one actually send a knife safely these days if you are not a business?
Couriers will send knives but you need a business account otherwise its royal mail but there's always a risk now, mine were sent age verification and they were still stopped I think it's been ready to argue with them now I've started adding a load of paperwork in with my knives now I put a description from the manufacturer or stockist which ever points it to being a bushcraft knife or a camp knife I also put in the royal mails own rules about dangerous goods which I highlite the parts that I need like I highlite the prohibited goods part and the age verification part then I'll highlite the bushcraft part or lock knife which ever matches the knife I'm sending the problem is the people opening these parcels don't know the difference between a butter knife and a combat knife but there own rules don't help that bushcraft knives are allowed and survival knives arnt, hunting knives arnt allowed but knives for hobbies are last time I checked hunting is a hobby

Reactions: rowen

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Couriers will send knives but you need a business account otherwise its royal mail but there's always a risk now, mine were sent age verification and they were still stopped I think it's been ready to argue with them now I've started adding a load of paperwork in with my knives now I put a description from the manufacturer or stockist which ever points it to being a bushcraft knife or a camp knife I also put in the royal mails own rules about dangerous goods which I highlite the parts that I need like I highlite the prohibited goods part and the age verification part then I'll highlite the bushcraft part or lock knife which ever matches the knife I'm sending the problem is the people opening these parcels don't know the difference between a butter knife and a combat knife but there own rules don't help that bushcraft knives are allowed and survival knives arnt, hunting knives arnt allowed but knives for hobbies are last time I checked hunting is a hobby

This is what RM say. Hunting knives prohibited, but knives commonly used for "sporting activities" knives allowed. Hunting is a sport - even in law "sporting rights" refers to hunting on land. Bushcrafting can also be seen as a sporting activity - and one of the tenets of bushcrafting is survival, though "survival knives" are restricted?

Prohibited Bladed Items
Hunting/combat/survival type knives, daggers, movie knives that promote violence (such as Rambo or Crocodile Dundee style knives), replica fighting knives, throwing knives, machetes, swords, fantasy knives, knives with images or words that suggest use for violence, stiletto knives, battle axes, open razors/folding razors and any similar items are prohibited and cannot be sent . Also see Weapons

The following are not prohibited and will instead be treated as Restricted Bladed Items, provided the only intended use is one of the permitted uses listed below:

Bladed items that are: commonly used for sporting activities; commonly used for religious or ceremonial purposes (must be blunted); sgian dubhs (must be blunted and for ornamental purposes); being sent to a recognised museum; commonly used in historical re-enactment (must be blunted); commonly used in theatrical productions (must be blunted); and antiques. Note: in order to avoid your item being treated as prohibited, in the event of any checks it would be helpful to include supporting documentation to enable us to verify the relevant permitted use listed above.

Important: Items intended by the person sending or receiving it to cause injury to a person are always prohibited and will be treated/handled as such regardless of whether or not they fall into one of the permitted uses above. In addition, see Weapons which are also prohibited regardless of whether or not they fall into one of the permitted uses above.

Restricted Bladed Items
Prohibited Bladed Items cannot be sent. However, other Knives or Blades as defined by s141A Criminal Justice Act 1988 or ‘Bladed Products’ as defined by s41 of the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 can be sent, provided certain conditions are met. These include but are not limited to any knife or knife blade, including cutlery knives, bread knives, knives that can be used for hobbies and trades (for instance, utility knives and snap-off cutters, gardening, camping, lock knives, bushcraft and farming tools with a blade or any other trade tool that could commonly be described as a knife), butcher knives (including meat cleavers), felling axes and razor blades.

• These items may only be sent using the Royal Mail Tracked Age Verification service; this service is only available through Royal Mail Click & Drop
  • Items must be packaged appropriately so items present no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.
  • Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging.
  • Wrap each item with cushioning material and place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope.
  • The sender's name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
  • The outer packaging must be clearly marked to indicate a bladed item is enclosed and that it must not be handed to someone aged under 18.

Note: this excludes folding pocket knives where the cutting edge of its blade does not exceed 3 inches (7.62cm) or razor blades permanently enclosed in a cartridge or housing where less than 2mm is exposed which can be sent without using Age verification service.

Please Note: It is the senders’ responsibility to ensure compliance with the law.
The following links to the legislation and guidance may assist but Royal Mail prohibitions and restrictions regarding the sending of bladed items must also be followed:
Criminal Justice Act 1988 Opens in new window
Offensive Weapons Act 2019 Opens in new window
Statutory guidance: Offensive Weapons Act 2019 Opens in new window

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Note: this excludes folding pocket knives where the cutting edge of its blade does not exceed 3 inches (7.62cm) or razor blades permanently enclosed in a cartridge or housing where less than 2mm is exposed which can be sent without using Age verification service.

Also - it seems that UK legal folders don't require age verification - even though it is a legal requirement to only sell these items to over 18's.

RM really didn't think this knee-jerk policy through.

Stlh374

Jul 12, 2022
Shropshire
Also - it seems that UK legal folders don't require age verification - even though it is a legal requirement to only sell these items to over 18's.

No they didn't and this is part of there problem is alot of there rules don't make any sence which is why we need to start fighting back when knives get stopped and hope they review and change the rules to make them abit clearer

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Have been buying long billhook, and grass sickles from eBay and Amazon this year. No problems with ageVerification or anything at all. RM delivered them with super reliability and no problems.

I am still not understanding what they are trying to do. Why try to ban work tools? The whole issue is to do with the people misusing them, not the tools.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France

It's because when they say 'excludes folding pocket knives' they mean non-lockers. They are correct in that non-locking knives with a cutting edge of 3 inches or less can be sold to people under the age of 18. They, rather like the legislation, don't see locking knives as folding knives. They could definitely word it more clearly for the casual observer!

That being said, I have zero faith in them actually evaluating any form of knife given the OP's experience.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Have been buying long billhook, and grass sickles from eBay and Amazon this year. No problems with ageVerification or anything at all. RM delivered them with super reliability and no problems.

I am still not understanding what they are trying to do. Why try to ban work tools? The whole issue is to do with the people misusing them, not the tools.
Retail sellers do not seem to be subject to the same terms as private individuals using these services.

Reactions: spader

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
It's because when they say 'excludes folding pocket knives' they mean non-lockers. They are correct in that non-locking knives with a cutting edge of 3 inches or less can be sold to people under the age of 18. They, rather like the legislation, don't see locking knives as folding knives. They could definitely word it more clearly for the casual observer!
This is 100% incorrect. You can’t even sell scissors to someone under 18 let alone a uk legal carry non locking sub 3” pocket knife.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
This is 100% incorrect. You can’t even sell scissors to someone under 18 let alone a uk legal carry non locking sub 3” pocket knife.

Aris, I'm not incorrect. However, why you're conflating scissors with non-locking folding knives is beyond me.

I am only talking about non-locking folding knives with cutting edges of 3 inches or less.

Check the legislation for yourself:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/3064/article/2/made

Heck you can even Google it, it's really not hard to find. Even the .gov.uk site makes it abundantly clear:

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Aris, I'm not incorrect. However, why you're conflating scissors with non-locking folding knives is beyond me.

I am only talking about non-locking folding knives with cutting edges of 3 inches or less.

Check the legislation for yourself:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/3064/article/2/made

Heck you can even Google it, it's really not hard to find. Even the .gov.uk site makes it abundantly clear:

Well I learned something today. There is a little known exception to knife sale law which no knife retailer seems to adhere to. 100% I've come across want you to be 18.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE