Withdrawn POST OFFICE DESTROYING KNIFE - THE END !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
I suspect that the carriage of items requiring "18 or over" confirmation has been tightened up across the board in RM.

If you purchase a box of wine/beer or a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, it's the same routine, always has been- just that these usually come via courier as they are bigger parcels, or are classified as Dangerous Goods which require an ADR carrier (which RM is not).

Hopefully @Mervg can get his knive set back- and perhaps there needs to be a requirement on the "edged tools classified" that the sender used age verified service?

GC

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Hopefully @Mervg can get his knive set back- and perhaps there needs to be a requirement on the "edged tools classified" that the sender used age verified service?

My concern is that even if Mervg had used the age verified service, they would have still seized and apparently destroyed the knives, given their letter makes no mention of the lack of age verification being the issue.

The ones I've sent using age verification were far less traditional knives than Mervg's, but reached their recipients. So it may be possible that age verification parcels are not scanned like the rest of the mail, but I'd be very surprised. I imagine it's more likely to be inconsistent and incorrect interpretation by the staff working that particular day of what is and isn't prohibited. Much like the border/customs staff.

Not a good situation.

Stlh374

Jul 12, 2022
Shropshire
My concern is that even if Mervg had used the age verified service, they would have still seized and apparently destroyed the knives, given their letter makes no mention of the lack of age verification being the issue.

The ones I've sent using age verification were far less traditional knives than Mervg's, but reached their recipients. So it may be possible that age verification parcels are not scanned like the rest of the mail, but I'd be very surprised. I imagine it's more likely to be inconsistent and incorrect interpretation by the staff working that particular day of what is and isn't prohibited. Much like the border/customs staff.

Not a good situation.
My age verification sent knives got stopped which is why I now know quite alot about this after 3 weeks of emails back and forth the problem is the staff arnt trained and don't know the difference between the banned knives and restricted knives they tried everything with me started by saying my knives were illegal and they were contacting the police they soon backed down when I said I worked for the police and if they would like my collar number and at that point it hit them with the fact they had now stolen my knives they would be getting investigated and that was the point they became very nice my destroyed knives were magically found and a few days later I got an apology and my knives got returned but I had to fight for them

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
My age verification sent knives got stopped which is why I now know quite alot about this after 3 weeks of emails back and forth the problem is the staff arnt trained and don't know the difference between the banned knives and restricted knives they tried everything with me started by saying my knives were illegal and they were contacting the police they soon backed down when I said I worked for the police and if they would like my collar number and at that point it hit them with the fact they had now stolen my knives they would be getting investigated and that was the point they became very nice my destroyed knives were magically found and a few days later I got an apology and my knives got returned but I had to fight for them
That is appalling. Excellent result but appalling from them. Very useful to know about the age verification not offering protection from this kind of overreach.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Retail sellers do not seem to be subject to the same terms as private individuals using these services.

Or maybe there are a lot more complicated situation with the issue. I was not aware of them. I read more about the situation, and realise that there could be mammoth amount of uncertainties, grey areas and red tapes and grape vine stories.

I think I have been lucky with my purchases so far. Good to be in a position that I don't need another edge tool now after the last purchase. :)

Reactions: GreyCat

Mervg

Dec 7, 2014
uk
@Mervg May I ask where you were sending the package from and to? Just counties/nearby cities will do, just trying to work out how far it had to travel.
Hey, it was going from stourport on severn Worcestershire to Shetland - a long way !!!
As an update, I did complain to the post office and had the expected reply. I then upgraded the complaint and had pretty much the same reply. Knives were destroyed !!!
Nothing else can be done !!!!!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Hey, it was going from stourport on severn Worcestershire to Shetland - a long way !!!
As an update, I did complain to the post office and had the expected reply. I then upgraded the complaint and had pretty much the same reply. Knives were destroyed !!!
Nothing else can be done !!!!!
Again, I'm really sorry to hear this.
It's possible therefore that what @mikehill said elsewhere on the forum then (https://bushcraftuk.com/community/t...-after-22nd-april.165249/page-12#post-2072605), that the risk is when the parcels fly and are thus scanned, otherwise they aren't routinely scanned.
I really hope. I have a good few knives to sell but am really very wary of RM acting with extreme prejudice, given your experience.

mimozine

Jan 26, 2021
north yorkshire
the must a recourse from a legal point of view. i believe there is a lawyer or two on edgematters who could advise you of legal rights. a private company destroying property sounds dodgy to say the least.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE