WANTED Dumb Phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am getting more agile by the day and am planning trips.

But, having had a nasty shock; I think its time I got some communication device.

Alarmed by folk talking about smart phones, "Well, Maybe not choose something but see what I can find?"

So have you anything? (plus charger and other needful bits)

I havent much to swap, I must say; I have an old style Petzl torch or maybe some leather pouches?

Anything to keep folk from worrying about me. (and it says something that I `do` have a lot of those these days...)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So do you just want a phone ? or specifically a phone thats more 80's/90's (Nokia house brick sort of thing) ?? I may have a phone I can dig out I don't use but its more modern and of course will require a SIM - charging cable I should be able to sort out also.

Don't want anything in exchange.

Reactions: Megatramp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nothing yet. I will need one before I take any walks.

Wil be in the post tomorrow Tengu. The Old school Nokia brick I had I am unable to find the charger for. So I'm sending an older smart phone - you'll need to get a SIM card to work it however.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You need a SIM card to allow you to access , connect and utilise communications - SIM cards are cheap and can be picked up at most supermarket tills.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The SIM card is also what gives you your phone number. Ask people around you which network they are on as coverage can vary between networks.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Are you aware that you can buy a brand new 'pay as you go' handset for £8 plus a £10 top up on Vodafone from Argos?

(other outlets and service providers available)
Good call on this Broch - Thank you for suggesting it, I've sent Tengu one of these.

( Always a little wary of shady characters that know the best source of cheap burner phones however. )

Reactions: Wildgoose

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thank you TeeDee.

Part of this exercise is that I really dont know what phone I want; (Certain parties are dead set on a smart phone, which I do not see the point of...yet).

So I am waiting on what turns up. Its really for emergencies only.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thank you TeeDee.

Part of this exercise is that I really dont know what phone I want; (Certain parties are dead set on a smart phone, which I do not see the point of...yet).

So I am waiting on what turns up. Its really for emergencies only.

It should be basic enough to get you out of the brown sticky stuff if needed and hopefully the battery life will reflect that its not a power hungry smart phone.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thank you; am shopping for a SIM card today.

I have also obtained a smart phone, but in spite of advice, probably wont use it, as I just want a phone for emergencies

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was sorting out a couple of drawers earlier and found my dear departed mums first ever mobile phone.

53784575929_4082a91bd1_z.jpg

Not getting rid of it, just offering it up as the simplest of phones, im half tempted to get a sim card and see if it still works, mind you, i need to find the charger for it first.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I was sorting out a couple of drawers earlier and found my dear departed mums first ever mobile phone.

53784575929_4082a91bd1_z.jpg

Not getting rid of it, just offering it up as the simplest of phones, im half tempted to get a sim card and see if it still works, mind you, i need to find the charger for it first.

I dont think they will work anymore- cellnet merged with bt to make bt cellnet and then changed to 02 I think so it might be locked to the original network.

Most of the networks don't use 2g/3g anymore and use 4g/5g

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I wish it could work for you but I doubt it. I found my old “Matrix” slide front phone a while back but all I could get up on the screen was No Service

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE