Log shed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm impressed by the building the skills and the area. Looks like a place that most of us here in the UK could only ever dream of. Cracking job.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Cool project, at first i thought you meant a regular shed to keep logs in, i could live in that beast you've made

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great work. I would have never thought of using the stockade walls but I certainly like the idea. Did you chink them?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
a grass sod roof would set that off real nice, and as you've added a central support beam it should take the weight.

No grass to speak of here, nor any soil. Moss, lichen, sand and rock:).

Did you chink them?

Not yet, and I probably won't either because it's a cold storage utility shed for things that don't need much protection from the elements. The logs are actually fit fairly well. Some light shows through in places but in others the fit is tight enough that light doesn't show. From past experience the entry of rain or snow won't be a problem as it is now.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
To rip logs in half I simply did it by eye, which really was quite easy. Ripping boards is a completely different thing however.
I first flattened the top of the log a bit and then snapped a line for the first cut and also snapped lines for the other cuts.

It is very difficult to keep the saw perfectly straight. The slightest deviation from vertical results in a board thinner or thicker on one side. I struggled with trying to get the boards the same thickness when I first started, but did get better as time went on, but never perfect of course. Every board varied a bit.
I have used a ripping chain in the past but for this job I used a conventional chain for everything. Although slower, I did feel as if I had more control over the cut, as well as being able to crosscut the pieces to length as well as other cuts without needing to have two saws on the go.

I really didn't use any special technique in ripping. It just takes time to get a feel for it to end up with something usable versus firewood.:lmao:
I took my time and concentrated on keeping the saw bar as vertical as possible. Not perfect by any means

A mate of mine has one of these and I've seen the planking he can produce on site and it's very very good (he uses a stihl ms880 with a rip chain but you can use smaller saws and for the odd time use a normal chain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granberg-...arden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item4ad6a12930

Anyway, might be useful for you :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Mate, stop, I love all this stuff, the furniture i cold make, at the moment i'm cladding a wood shed with pallet wood but i'd rather be ripping down planks to go on it :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Best not watch this then :)

[video=youtube;KigIN8BpXk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KigIN8BpXk8&list=PLu9l 40IymKw-vvGMrd5U-fcimrVjv-9c6[/video]

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
A mate of mine has one of these and I've seen the planking he can produce on site and it's very very good (he uses a stihl ms880 with a rip chain but you can use smaller saws and for the odd time use a normal chain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granberg-...arden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item4ad6a12930

Anyway, might be useful for you :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

It would be very useful. An 880 should work quite nicely I think:D

(I really want an Alaskan mill....)

Me too!!

Yeah, if my big chainsaw hadn't seen it's last days i'd be very tempted to get a mill...

There's your reason to get a new saw;)

0433_zps1d967fbb.jpg

how did you attach the logs to the bottom?! i cannot figure it out...

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have seen photographs of log houses with the logs set vertically. But I've never seen any in person. The photos did not show enough detail to see how things may have been put together, nor what the insides looked like. However, I think the logs were all smaller in the photos, more like poles rather than logs.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE