Log shed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've had the urge for some time to build a shed with logs and finally had a go at it. A tremendous amount of work compared to buying lumber and constructing a frame building, but very satisfying. I made a lot of mistakes but also learned a lot in the process.
A forest fire a couple years ago has left me with an unlimited supply of trees. Many thousands of acres burned, so rather than see it all rot or be used strictly for firewood, why not make more use of it?

A look at the type of area that I'm getting my materials from
0633_zps0d82a393.jpg

Starting out. Flattening the tops of the logs and getting it all together in preparation to start the walls
0283_zps4b3a92b8.jpg

The first wall going up. I wanted the door offset rather than in the centre
0433_zps1d967fbb.jpg

Along with the side walls
0483_zpsed89a60f.jpg

The walls are up. The sides need to be cut to the roof slope yet, but the back wall is having a half log top plate put on first, as well as the wall where the door is.
026_zps5d8994ad.jpg

And now the side walls are cut and the half log plates are on
A centre log has been added for additional support but really wasn't necessary on a building as small as this. I just wanted to:)

Here I'm using a straight 2x4 to make the two walls and centre log to the same slope
001_zpsb0cee723.jpg

A supply of logs that I've ripped in half for the roof
0533_zpsfc93e123.jpg

And up where they belong
0042_zpsbc2f0bce.jpg

I ran them long and cut them to length afterwards
016_zps790f80d8.jpg

I wasn't sure if I would have time to do the floor before winter so I left it till last, and concentrated on the walls and roof first, just in case. Fortunately I was able to carry on, so it was off to the bush to rip more logs for the floor.
After dropping a suitable tree I simply ripped it in place. No problems with trying to hold the pieces from moving about when leaving them attached to the tree until finished
0244_zps304ff05a.jpg

0222_zps4a2dbac3.jpg

This is where they're going
0102_zpsae7c9e2c.jpg

And now for the door. More ripping leaves me with some rough boards
0272_zps90938c77.jpg

Snapping chalk lines to straighten them out produces these
029_zps810afef8.jpg

And the finished door. As you can see, the roof logs have gaps between but I simply didn't think it necessary to fit them as tightly as the floor or walls because the roofing material will span such small gaps easily
0342_zps68fcc757.jpg

0362_zpsc76572d4.jpg

This is quite a crude little building but very functional. And the price is right. It cost practically nothing but my labour. Actual costs so far have been nails and chainsaw fuel and oil, as well as quad fuel to haul everything out of the bush, but was minimal as the distance to haul was within shouting distance of the building.
Even the hinges are salvaged from an old cabin that burned. The only extravagance is the new door handle;)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome project - did you use a chainsaw mill or rip freehand? If thats freehand its impressively straight!

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Awesome project - did you use a chainsaw mill or rip freehand? If thats freehand its impressively straight!

Freehand I'm afraid. I would love to have a chainsaw mill though. When I first started I botched a few pieces but got progressively better.:)
The reason I'm using the adze is to make the edges of the boards fit better as the thicknesses varied because of doing it freehand.

Marvelous job.. You say 'many thousands of acres' how much land do you own ? :eek:

It's Crown land. I can cut all I want at no cost. Every tree will eventually fall and simply rot away. The trees have zero commercial value, and wouldn't be harvested if they did since the area is extremely remote.
Huge areas burn here every year. This is just a tiny amount.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Freehand I'm afraid. I would love to have a chainsaw mill though. When I first started I botched a few pieces but got progressively better.:)
The reason I'm using the adze is to make the edges of the boards fit better as the thicknesses varied because of doing it freehand.

I'm hugely impressed - thats very neat - amazing for freehand work - would love to see your technique. Do you mark a line with a chalk line? Or just by eye?

I assume you are using a conventional chain not a ripping chain?

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Great job, hugely satisfying, and I'm impressed with your freehanding with the chainsaw too !

Cheers, Paul

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Lovely job, well done and thanks for posting it on here!

I'm curious as to why you chose vertical rather than horizontal orientation for the logs in the walls? Was it not a huge weight to try to keep in place before the proper support was in place?

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Yes, the freehand ripping is very impressive. Tried ripping planks and end up with rustic looking boards (3d wave!)

Would love to see how you did it. Well done.:)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Lovely job, well done and thanks for posting it on here!

I'm curious as to why you chose vertical rather than horizontal orientation for the logs in the walls? Was it not a huge weight to try to keep in place before the proper support was in place?
I'm curious about this as well.

What will you use for the roof material?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Do you mark a line with a chalk line? Or just by eye?
I assume you are using a conventional chain not a ripping chain?

To rip logs in half I simply did it by eye, which really was quite easy. Ripping boards is a completely different thing however.
I first flattened the top of the log a bit and then snapped a line for the first cut and also snapped lines for the other cuts.

It is very difficult to keep the saw perfectly straight. The slightest deviation from vertical results in a board thinner or thicker on one side. I struggled with trying to get the boards the same thickness when I first started, but did get better as time went on, but never perfect of course. Every board varied a bit.
I have used a ripping chain in the past but for this job I used a conventional chain for everything. Although slower, I did feel as if I had more control over the cut, as well as being able to crosscut the pieces to length as well as other cuts without needing to have two saws on the go.

At first I did consider going horizontal but decided on vertical because of the logs being very crooked. These are jack pines, which are seldom even remotely straight, and in fact are often as crooked as a dogs hind leg. So, going vertical allowed me to use shorter logs, making things fit much easier.
The front wall logs are 7' and the back ones are 6'. Much nicer than working with a log almost twice as long like horizontal ones would have been. My theory anyway:).
Keeping them in place was not difficult. I had the first corner log solidly braced to start, and then securely nailed each succeeding log to the previous one. The walls were not shaky at all.

What will you use for the roof material?

It has a tarp at the moment until spring;). I'll probably keep it simple and use rolled roofing. Cheap and easy.

I really didn't use any special technique in ripping. It just takes time to get a feel for it to end up with something usable versus firewood.:lmao:
I took my time and concentrated on keeping the saw bar as vertical as possible. Not perfect by any means, but from this:
019_zpsa18dc3c6.jpg

To this:
021_zpsebd4b6fb.jpg

023_zps6ca34063.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing my little project. The hardest part of all was trying to make something straight from something crooked;).
For a first time, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
a grass sod roof would set that off real nice, and as you've added a central support beam it should take the weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE