list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
my dads mate has just given my dad a pheasant so we can have a go at preparing it, we are going to do it after dinner i will tell you how i get on, i am going to pinch the skin just under the breast bone and make a slit the pull the skin away from the breast meat and make a cut either side of the breast bone then i will follow the rib cage and hopefully i will have two pieces of meat
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my dads mate also said that when he has got a rabbit he will let us have it so i can have a go at preparing one of them, he also lent me a book its called FM 21-76 department of the army field manual SURVIVAL on the front it says 1970 but inside it says 1957 and apparently it id not in print anymore
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my dad has just gave me 7 cartridges that he got me now i can make some more spamel you are next on the list and there are two other people that i go shooting with who want one
fenlander dont worry i havent missed you out you are getting one for all of the info and time you have spent with me teaching me new skills
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just made 3 cartridge match cases they just need sealing with wax, spamel could you please pm me your address
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cheers Leon!! I will try and get your watch strap in the post tomorrow, I spent the day teaching people the laying of aluminium trackway that is used for tanks to travel over, and then gave my troop members a hand to get ready for a plant concentration exercise. They are going out on the area to dig in the mud with their JCBs and I'm sure they will have fun. I can't make that one though!!

Have you got your watch yet?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
no the watch hasnt arrived yet but they said that it was posted by
registered airmail from St. Petersburg, Russia 04.11.2006
look forward to receiving the watch strap
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Mine took about two weeks from them telling me that it was sent from russia. It's pretty cool to think of how far the watch travelled to get to me, especially as I have read two books about escape from russia in the last couple of months.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Thats "breasting" that you are describing. (Reoing the breast meat). Its okay but you won't learn too much about game prep that way. Look in your Bushcraft magazine (one of the later ones) and there is a good description of preparing a quartered carcas (using all the bird)

Or I'll talk you through rpeparing a whole prepped carcas (like a chicken) if you like?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i have finished preparing the pheasant and it was suprisingly easy well enough talk heres the photos

me holding the pheasant
pheasantrv1.jpg

me plucking the pheasant
pluckingapheasantkm5.jpg

the pheasants breast meat
pheasantbreastmeatpj0.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
red i would love you to talk me through how to prepare a quartered carcass then when i have another pheasant i will do it that way next timei cant wait untill i have a rabbit
how would i prepare a rabbit ?
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well done Leon - good job! Nice looking hen pheasant there too!

Couple of tips mate...

1) If you are going to breast, you don't have to pluck - just pinch the skin away from the flesh, make a slit and pull the skin (complete with feathers) away from the breast

2) Once you have removed the breast meat, check for shot where those two marks are along the breast bone (they often hit the breast bone and stop - you can bite on one later when cooked which isn't great).

Nice looking hen pheasant there - one of this years I'd say from her size

How are you planning to cook her?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Think we were both writing at the same time there Leon. :D

How would you like your finished bun? Pieces or whole?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok i will not bother plucking it next time i breast it, i would like to know how to prepare it so that i have the whole thing not pieces
i am probably going to roast it as a small snack as there is no way near enough for a meal
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
spamel i am finding it hard to cut the grooves in the end so would you mind if i stuck a piece of wet and dry on the end instead
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
leon-b said:
spamel i am finding it hard to cut the grooves in the end so would you mind if i stuck a piece of wet and dry on the end instead
leon

No problems! I am back at home at the moment, I will be back to work soon though and I will take the watchstrap in and send it off. Hopefully it will be with you by the end of this week, maybe next Monday.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
look forward to recieving the watch strap you have rep for the offer
i am just waiting for some glue as i used the other load and then i will get it sent off to you
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE