Lightweight pack grill advice,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Hi all, do any of you know of a decent lightweight pack grill? I like the look of Grill Put that Dave Canterbury shows you in the basic overnighter video #2.
[video=youtube;vInrIpb6G9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vInrIpb6G9Q[/video]

They never got round to selling it though and can't find anything online all i can find online are this sort,
pack_grill_adjusted__41099_zoom.jpg

Any of you got any suggestions or even experience with the type above. Do you recommend them?

Cheers.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I like the look of the grill put but if you loose one little bar it would be useless :(. I would just by a stand steel BBQ grill and cut it to the size you want with a hacksaw. Should be quite cheap and effective.

Hope this helps.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You can get the grilliput on ebay (probably other places too).

I've used a cake cooling rack and a couple of green logs to similar effect, but a lot cheaper :)

Cool gadget though...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a Grilliput for a while but didn't really get on with it, too much faffing about for my liking. I know folk who do use them regularly though.

A baking cooling tray works okay, try and get a fairy sturdy one rather than too flimsy. Ikea do a pan trivet made from stainless tube which is very light and packs easily enough. Oven shelves or the wire tray out of a grill pan also work well.

A couple of lengths of angle iron or just straight rods are easy to adapt, add a rock or log each side of the fire and away you go.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
To be honest if you look at it how easy it would be to make, most things bushy sold can be simplified and made easily with very basic tools, a for instance is the wood gasifiction stove can be made from two cans and a church key. alternative £50+

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I have the grilliput grill but not really keen on it because of its weight. It packs down really good though so nice in the pack but its weight is a big disappointment for me.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I said it before, but the only reason to take a grlliput to the woods, is to stun a buffalo by hitting it with it, or to throw it in to the darkest corner of the wood so it my rust in peace. I had one, used it once then gave it away.

That one in the picture looks good. Wilko's/ikea some times have similar things in for putting plates in to dry, but a cheap cake tray is good, as is the bottom cut out of a supermarket trolley, so i'm told anyway....& they are stainless...

Rob

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have a Grilliput but seldom use it. Main problem is the weight, but it's also fiddly to put together. Once assembled it's pretty sturdy and works well, although it's quite small.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Make one, I did a while back, it's on here somewhere, hopefully. Looked like the grill-i-put, but used two pieces of copper tube, an old oven shelf and some M6 threaded bar and nuts, plus a couple of cap ends to keep it all together.

Cost next to nothing.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Video came across recently, of a guy making camp grils with stainless steel welding rods.

[video=youtube;eZDLafTacxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZDLafTacxM[/video]

Quite good if you have welding kit and skills, but still quite amusing to watch. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE