Lightweight pack grill advice,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Cheers for all the feedback. I think i'll hit the pound shops tomorrow and see what I can pick up cheap. i suppose you don't really need the legs either, just looking for something i can pit a couple of cooking pots on at the same time.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers for all the feedback. I think i'll hit the pound shops tomorrow and see what I can pick up cheap. i suppose you don't really need the legs either, just looking for something i can pit a couple of cooking pots on at the same time.

If its just for billy's, you could make a pot hanger. Loads of different styles out there but I like this one for 2 or more pots :)

036.jpg

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I got a folding cutlery drainer from wilcos some time ago... no pic I'm afraid but have a look in there think it was about 3 quid

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
I've found those cheaper folding grills, like the one in the original post, can tend to warp when you use them on a fire, so I'm inclined to agree with the advice others have given about using a cheap cooling rack over a couple off green logs. Although, that said the Purcell grill I saw in this thread look pretty durable ..but being titanium will have that titanium price too! The old adage is true: Cheap, Durable, Light ...Choose Any Two.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Says 8 available. They look identical to the Wilkinson's plate racks which they sold until about a year ago for £2.45 IIRC. I've got one on top of a chest and using it as a TV stand.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've got the grilliput and agree with what's been said before nice and sturdy but heavy, I also have the one OP posted below it I think it's the backpackinglight one I got it in a trade in here and it's been by far the easiest and lightest to use and carry and it will take a couple of zebra billy type pots. Great bit of kit. Just my two pennith worth..

Podcast Bob

As it happens we are looking at producing a handful of these smaller grills around the 40cm x 13cm and 47cm x 16cm mark to see if they are popular with the Bushcraft chefs.

British made from 306 Stainless Steel. Just waiting for the costing.

In the meantime this new folding grill is proving popular and we of course are still waiting for the smaller folding one discussed by TOP to become available.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Go to local recycling site and whip a few out of the cookers they're scrapping

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Podcast Bob

Well I've had the costing back and I wonder what the response here will be to the estimated prices?

Not cheap I'm afraid. British made of course rather than the Chinese option but you are looking at approx £20 for the smallest size up to £40 for the larger and that is purely for the grill itself and no bag or packaging.

However comparing it to the Purcell Trench Grills as a reference, the price is pretty similar and there's no shipping costs or delay of course. So maybe it isn't too bad?

Before we commission some we would appreciate the feedback here if that size and price would be acceptable? I accept many people prefer to recycle (above) or use grills that will have a shorter lifespan, but be cheaper.

I'm trying to design and produce more gear here in the UK if we can for outdoor enthusiasts. Especially stove related :) It does give us more control and QC, but hourly rates are slightly more. That said it is cheaper than flying to China and ordering a container full of the stuff as their minimums are in the 1000's!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE