leuku in antler and birch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
this is a leuku i made for a Customer to match a puukko i made for him some time ago.
as usual its made using a high carbon lauri blade, but i have added reindeer antler to the curly birch handle.
the tang is seccured on to the butt of the knife to add extra strength.

i hope you guys like it

0034.jpg

0044.jpg

0056.jpg

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Cracking stuff Josh, very nicely proportioned & stylish too. Looks like a very capable work horse.

I've not tried the Lauri 'hiking' blades before (I assume that's what it is?), you've inspired me to get one sometime.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks a cracker!
When you say the tang is secured at the butt do you mean peened back over a washer to rivet it on or something else?
What drill bit do you use to make the hole for the tang - I have yet to find a drillbit thin and long enough for easy use - or do you burn out the hole?
I bet your client is well pleased with both knives :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very nice, the sheath is great too.
Another question for you, are the bigger Leuku a different temper from the smaller blades? The reason i ask is with such a high grind, big blade and heavy work does the edge not need constant attention and sharpening?

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi Josh,
I really like the look of the antler and birch :)!

However, I've noticed that you fitted your last knives with a leather bolster.

To me, a bolster has the function of protecting and stabilising/fixing the handle. It's also easier to keep the knife clean/hygienic when used for food prep. Therefore, they are normally made from tough material such as metal or sometimes antler or horn.

So - what's the rationale behind the having a bolster made of leather :confused:.

Cheers
Jörg

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Hi Josh,
I really like the look of the antler and birch :)!

However, I've noticed that you fitted your last knives with a leather bolster.

To me, a bolster has the function of protecting and stabilising/fixing the handle. It's also easier to keep the knife clean/hygienic when used for food prep. Therefore, they are normally made from tough material such as metal or sometimes antler or horn.

So - what's the rationale behind the having a bolster made of leather :confused:.

Cheers
Jörg

essentially the leather bolster is there to absorb shock and lengthen the life of the antler which has the same purpose as the birch, also looks a bit tidyer

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Thanks for the reply Josh :)!
I understand that the leather helps protecting the antler but I'm not quite sure how it could effecively absorb shock:confused:?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your work.

Cheers
Jörg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE