Lets get some pictures up

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
It's sharp too ...

(that's Adi's arm btw!)

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Those are some cracking images Adi! I like the look of a kukri.

Are those mini DMT sharpeners worth it? Does flint light fires with a woodlore???

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
Are those mini DMT sharpeners worth it?

For field sharpening, yes, I think they are super. Also, I use them on the GrannyB and they do a wonderful job on it. I think I paid about £6 - £8 each.

Does flint light fires with a woodlore???

Yep, I can cast sparks off the Woodlore using flint that will light charcloth. It does take it out of the spine though!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Great i need a good field sharpener. Woodlore sent me an email saying that they have new stock of filed waterstones, so i'll see what they're like.

Cheers,

Jake

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Adi

I think I recognize that Busse :-D, did you pick it up from Waldorf over on BB? If you did then its the one I traded with a guy from the US and then moved it on to Waldorf when I fancied a change... I still miss it :cry: but I'm gettin one of Toras SF Mk3 Khukris in the next few days (fingers crossed order going in the post tomorrow) I'll try and get some piccies up.

Cheers

Shaun

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
gurushaun said:
Adi

I think I recognize that Busse :-D, did you pick it up from Waldorf over on BB?

No, mine came straight from Jerry's hands to mine! :-D Good tool though, just not a bushcraft knife!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
Next we have the original Wilkinson Sword Survival Knife, as designed by Mr Mears:

Was it really designed by Ray Mears?
According to the info that came with the knife and the intro to the "Outdoor Survival Handbook", yes.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I have seen it in a book called `Survival` by Len Cacutt. It shows it being used to butcher a deer.
Made by Wilkinson Sword, designed by Ray.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
It doesnt look like the kind of knife that he would design. Where did you get it?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
It doesnt look like the kind of knife that he would design. Where did you get it?

Time change Jake ... it was designed in the 80s ...

All I can say on that is that it came into my possession via a military contact ... :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
It seems like the kind of knife he wouldnt recomend, what is it like?

Cheers,

Jake

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you have to remeber the woodlore is a bushcraft knife not a survival knife. the woodlore is designed to cut wood mostly such as spoons and traps i doubt the MOD have this as a requirement of their knives

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Andy said:
you have to remeber the woodlore is a bushcraft knife not a survival knife. the woodlore is designed to cut wood mostly such as spoons and traps i doubt the MOD have this as a requirement of their knives

Any knife that list "felling" as a task it can undertake isn't going to be something that you can do delicate work with!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi's spot on Jake, look at the current issue MOD survival knife.

Survival means different things to different people in different sircumstances, that affects the knife's design. Also, there's an element of evolution involved too. You also have to remember, that any old bit of sharpened and tempered steel will do just fine if it's all you've got. For a lot of people, a knife, is a knife is a knife - and they're not completely wrong.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice pics Hoodoo.

I thought that the woodlore could be termed as a "survival" knife as well. But i can see how the two differ in purposes.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Well, to begin with the WS Survival Knife has a hollow handle (or at least a slot in the full tang that houses a survival kit. The kit is ok (lower case deliberate) and has a brass button compass, flint, fishing kit, sewing kit and snare wire. A lot of kit in a small space.

The knife is no bushcraft knife - it's a a robust, push come to shove, survival knife. It'll take a LOT of hammering without any damage and you can chop, pry, saw, strip thorns, open bottles, cut Urukai toenails with it ... only the fires of Mount Doom would damage it.

Forget any delicate work though ... this is a plough shear!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE