Legalities of using a hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
if any fire is contained in anything then, by deffinition, it aint open, is it? BBQ's start by lighting wood / charcoal, initially with fire. Only after 20 min or so can you begin to BBQ food, on the embers. I have done many times, rekindle the bbq after the food was cooked and had a small "contained" fire in the tray, just enough to keep warm on those cooler nights. Never had anyone ever whinge about it. Then again, maybe Iv'e just been lucky?

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I often camp with the family in the New Forest, barbeques are permitted as long as you use charcoal but you are prohibited from burning wood not just by the campsite but by the Forest Wardens/rangers who can impose a hefty fine (£5000?) . I generally use timber to get the barby going and then a few sticks afterwards while we sit around bellying up to the trough but have been warned (threatened) more than once so now I don't bother.

ps. are pine cones and polypore timber or not.

Cheers

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

I use tent stoves and hobo stoves almost exclusively, and have never been questioned by anyone who mattered. If I ever am, I'll say, "Oh, sorry, I thought it was as contained as any other stove. I'll put it out."

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I often camp with the family in the New Forest, barbeques are permitted as long as you use charcoal but you are prohibited from burning wood not just by the campsite but by the Forest Wardens/rangers who can impose a hefty fine (£5000?) . I generally use timber to get the barby going and then a few sticks afterwards while we sit around bellying up to the trough but have been warned (threatened) more than once so now I don't bother.

ps. are pine cones and polypore timber or not.

Cheers
Cannock chase often has a no naked flame restriction during the summer, as the enviroment turns into a massive tinder box when dry. There is also coal close to the surface. Even smoking fags is forbidden. Hobo stoves, BBQs, and pocket stoves are just too dangerous to use, it is not the authorities been over cautious it is basically reducing a very real risk of heath fires. Burning wood makes embers that can fall out. Knowing when it is unsafe to start a fire is basic common sense. Having wardens harassing campers for starting a well supervised BBQ with wood, when the alternatives such as using liquid accelerant or newspaper are hardly safer seems a like over kill to me.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
On the West Coast of the US we have significant issues with wildfires and as a result, open fires (i.e. in a ring on the ground) are banned all over.

However, even in restrictive areas, hobos are almost always considered legitimate "backpacking stoves" -- a critical distinction on national land and with rangers -- and are allowed.

I use mine almost everywhere without incident and have done so for years.

The issue might be reviewed in the future because, unlike meth stoves, cannister stoves, etc hobos have the issue of ash disposal (and the risk of a stray live coal being left behind) that troubles some officials.

So far, the sheer efficiency of the hobo at burning everything to cold ash has won the day. But we'll see what tomorrow brings -- particularly if it's a bad wildfire season.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I've had police officers and rangers come and sit with me and have a chat or a cuppa with me when using barbacues, trangias and various types of gas cookers and never had a problem.

As long as they can see the flame is safe and under control they are happy.

I think the guy that got into an argument over a hobo stove initially was just jealous that someone had more imagination than he did and the guy with the hobo didn't walk down the local shop and pick up a cooker off the shelf, so he is trying to justify spending the money when someone else can make a stove for free.

The green eyed monster strikes again.

Phill

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
I myself use hobos frequently and have never encountered any problems with anyone questioning their use. In fact the normal reaction is interest rather than antagonism. However (theres always a however) If I can just play devils advocate for a minute.....

The only difference between the Hobos and the other stoves mentioned is that with the hobo we generally gather the fuel as we need it, and this is where it would be possible - if someone wished to be really really pedantic - to fall foul of the law.

It is illegal to gather or remove firewood without the landowners permission.

But given the quantities we are talking about to run a Hobo it would have to be a really grumpy landowner to try and push it.

ATB
Stewart

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I myself use hobos frequently and have never encountered any problems with anyone questioning their use. In fact the normal reaction is interest rather than antagonism. However (theres always a however) If I can just play devils advocate for a minute.....

The only difference between the Hobos and the other stoves mentioned is that with the hobo we generally gather the fuel as we need it, and this is where it would be possible - if someone wished to be really really pedantic - to fall foul of the law.

It is illegal to gather or remove firewood without the landowners permission.

But given the quantities we are talking about to run a Hobo it would have to be a really grumpy landowner to try and push it.

ATB
Stewart

I sometimes use a Hoblow stove myself, and I've got a couple of other portable woodburning stove.

I don't see it so much as playing Devils Advocate as pointing out things that we should be aware of and responsible about.

Toddy pointed out on another thread ( with links, I think it was a merged survival tins one ) it's not illegal to gather wood for burning non commercially in Scotland.

What I think may be the aurgument about hobo stoves using wood, is wood burning can give off flying sparks and hot windborn embers, in a tinder dry area that is a risk that we need to be aware off and avoid, in a tent stove that's probably going to be having good spark arresters in the chimney. I've been looking at setting up a metal gause to effectively seal the top of my Hoblow, from flying embers, for situations that are slightly more risky than normal.

Think off it this way, if your aproached and have a very small fire in your hobo stove your less likely to be told to put it out than if you have a roaring fire with flames licking well over the top of your pot.

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
hi mate, this bloke on the other forum sounds like a bit of a jobs worth, for gods sake you are a grown man with a lot of bush know how, i am sure you can contain a poxy hobo stove. Honestly some people take themselves far to seriously its camping at the end of the day.:lmao: :lmao:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
hi mate, this bloke on the other forum sounds like a bit of a jobs worth, for gods sake you are a grown man with a lot of bush know how, i am sure you can contain a poxy hobo stove. Honestly some people take themselves far to seriously its camping at the end of the day.:lmao: :lmao:

Aye your not wrong there Moose, i think Wild Thing got it one, he was quite simply jealous that a perfectly usable stove could be made from next to nothing at very little if no cost, whereas he was using the latest and greatest stove gadetry from the shop which cost a fortune, oh btw, i ended up calling him something a tad stronger than a Jobs Worth :lmao:

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
:lmao: :lmao: Classic, he deserved it no doubt. Its a funny old world this bushcraft, when i talk to my cousin about it (he is fin) he cant get his head around it, to all my Fin side of the family its just camping. I guess we see it a different way but i cant really put my finger on it. I guess when you are out so much of the time it becomes more than camping its a way of life. what do you think mate? are we all just a little mad or what?:confused:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think being a little bit mad helps Moose, my parents and sister just cannot understand why i would want to be out sleeping in the woods at this time of year, but yep, i dont see it as a hobby, i see it as a lifestyle choice.

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
Well that clears that one up. The wife is an area manager for Katmandu and with me being in the service its like we live the outdoors, to our close friends its all good as alot of them are BF but to other folks we must look like nutters.:lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think part of the problem is that in this country at least, camping, walking and climbing have become a technological battle with nature.

We are told that we have to have new materials and the latest, most efficient equipment before we can even step out of doors because the old stuff will not keep you bone dry and weighs slightly more than a feather.

The idea that we can thrive in the wilderness using old school methods and ideas, flies in the face of the whole outdoor industry and marketing machine.

It's bound to upset a few folks.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
A little different perspective here. I camp and hunt a lot in the Black Hills NF. 4 out of 5 years there is an open fire ban due to dry conditions and the hills are mostly covered in Pines.
Last time out I ran into a park ranger and asked about what they considered an open fire.
Heres what he told me. "Any fire on or near the ground that uses solid fuel that is liable to produce sparks or embers". So I asked how about people with BBQs? . Charcoal or briquet's can only be used in designated camping spots. They have to be used in the provided grills. These things are cast iron totally enclosed and about 3 feet off the ground. All embers must be wetted down,cold to the touch and disposed of in the fireproof container s set up around the camp ground.
Now how this pertains to Hobo stoves I don't know. But I would not use one if that guy was around:cop:
Jon R.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
As far as im concerned, the UK has gone mad! Too many people having too much say so in other peoples interest. Its all anti this, anti that, can this, cant that...

No matter what your interest, people who dont understand what you do form their own conclusions which are generally wrong. ie, if you like football then your a hooligan, if your in to off roading (more precisely "green laning") then you a lout tearing up the countryside, if you like bushcraft / wild camping then your a weirdo...the list goes on I guess.

I think someone summed it up perfectly in a previous thread, if its a family with a BBQ or even a Hobo then nobody takes any notice, however, a bloke on his own has got to be dodgy.

Rant over ;)

ATB, Jon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE