Legalities of using a hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
There's been a lot of threads about hobo stoves recently, so i though i would ask a question about the legalities of using them when out and about, this stems from quite a while back when i had, lets say "a difference of opinion", with a guy on another forum about hobo's, my view point is you can use it as you would a regular stove as the fire is contained within the base unit and therefore cannot spread, although you do have to be careful where you site the hobo stove, i do add that common sense prevails and i wouldnt use one in areas of a high fire risk, whereas the otherside of the opinion is that it's still a fire and unless you have the landowners permission you cannot have a fire, regardless if it's contained or not.

The guy in question then stated that he wouldn't use a hobo as it's a fire and it's not legal blah blah blah, but does use a gas burner/alcohol stove/hexi, to me these are still open flames, but apart from the hexi are more controlled than a hobo, but it's still a flame - yes?, to me a hobo is more, how can i put it "homely" than gas or meths, personally ive never had anyone question me about the use of a hobo stove when ive been out, even if im up on the top of the Downs, where there are normally loads of people wandering around with kids & dogs.

Lets have yer thoughts chaps and chapesses.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Can't see the difference at all between hobo and gas / meths burners. All produce open flame to cook with. Imo, it's a contained method of using a flame to cook on. I suppose if you plonk a hobo direct onto the ground it could scorch / burn. However, whenever I use on I always find a smooth flat rock, or groupd of rocks to stand it on, so no damage.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's the way i see it, it's an open flame at the end of the day just like all other cooking units for use outdoors.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can't see the differance between say pocket cooker with blocks, and a hobo stove. It is just fuel and shape. I wouldn't use either on a heath in summer unless I could be really sure it was way off the ground. Some people worry too much about what they should and shouldn't do. A small cooker for walker's brew is not in the same catorgry as a bonfire with a party around it.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
For me the deffinition of a fire (the type you're not allowed to use!) is one that leaves a mess, ash etc.....A hobo if fine and I totally agree that it is more homely and fun to use!!!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
When I use my stoves hobo or other type i always take care where I place it and if a member of the public showed concern I try to reassure them of it's safety and my care for the outdoors too. If I didn't care for the woods/countryside then I would start a big log fire and leave it messy afterward. Of course I woulnd not really because that gives us a bad name.

xylaria

Cannock chase bans ciggerettes when it is too dry!!

Some people pick arguement becuase they need to justify buying a piece kit, rather than accepting that some kit can be cobbled up with knowledge. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot right with trangia type stoves, but some individuals can get a bit funny when something that is made out of scrap does the same job as a piece of labaled pricey kit.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...I wonder if there is a bit of grey to this. Wonder if it's all about context.
You see, my personal feelings are that it's no different to a barbecue. And no one raises questions about a family day out in the local park with a disposable barbecue. And that's because it is within a very conformist context.
Now, your average bushcrafter is going to be dolled up in camouflage greens, deep in the woods, probably alone and, therefore, to the casual observer looking quite subversive and dubious. With a fire going. Most people can't get their heads around that scenario and think something suspicious is happening.
I would think that if you were in the park, or on the beach, with your family, and had a hobo stove going no one would bat an eyelid.
It's another one of those fuzzy legal areas, and is all about interpretation. If something looks suspicious, no matter how 'legal' or not, it will draw attention and allegations.
But if it's in a context that the public at large understand and don't feel is odd or suspicious then all will be fine.
I'm not sure that 'legality' is as pertinent as 'perception'. But then, that's just about always been the case.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think we need to clear up the definition of an open fire and a fire.

To me an open fire is one that's placed directly on the ground, a small twig/pine cone fire in the base of a hobo is a contained fire, much the same way as a block of hexi is a stove is a contained fire, but it's still a fire/flame

Additional: a gas flame or trangia flame is still a flame, albeit more controlled/controllable

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
There's been a lot of threads about hobo stoves recently, so i though i would ask a question about the legalities of using them when out and about, this stems from quite a while back when i had, lets say "a difference of opinion", with a guy on another forum about hobo's, my view point is you can use it as you would a regular stove as the fire is contained within the base unit and therefore cannot spread, although you do have to be careful where you site the hobo stove, i do add that common sense prevails and i wouldnt use one in areas of a high fire risk, whereas the otherside of the opinion is that it's still a fire and unless you have the landowners permission you cannot have a fire, regardless if it's contained or not.

The guy in question then stated that he wouldn't use a hobo as it's a fire and it's not legal blah blah blah, but does use a gas burner/alcohol stove/hexi, to me these are still open flames, but apart from the hexi are more controlled than a hobo, but it's still a flame - yes?, to me a hobo is more, how can i put it "homely" than gas or meths, personally ive never had anyone question me about the use of a hobo stove when ive been out, even if im up on the top of the Downs, where there are normally loads of people wandering around with kids & dogs.

Lets have yer thoughts chaps and chapesses.

I agree with you on this one.
Here in NL an 'open fire' (the one you light on the ground, without any stoves etc.) isn't allowed anywhere. Unless you are on private land / got permission etc. And then still there can be a full fire ban if the situation dictates (for example your land lays on the border of a nationl park, it's summer and it hasn't rained for over 8 weeks, so everything is bone dry).

Though if you are camping a trangia stove, multi-fuel stove, esbit, etc is all perfectly acceptable.

Yes, with a hobo you make a fire. But so do you with a normal conventional stove ... Difference with these to to hobe normally burns on wood (found at the spot), where conventional stoves use fuel that's carried in.

I'll drop a line to the inlaws (police officer :cop: :eek: ;))

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Mmm...I wonder if there is a bit of grey to this. Wonder if it's all about context.
You see, my personal feelings are that it's no different to a barbecue. And no one raises questions about a family day out in the local park with a disposable barbecue. And that's because it is within a very conformist context.
Now, your average bushcrafter is going to be dolled up in camouflage greens, deep in the woods, probably alone and, therefore, to the casual observer looking quite subversive and dubious. With a fire going. Most people can't get their heads around that scenario and think something suspicious is happening.
I would think that if you were in the park, or on the beach, with your family, and had a hobo stove going no one would bat an eyelid.
It's another one of those fuzzy legal areas, and is all about interpretation. If something looks suspicious, no matter how 'legal' or not, it will draw attention and allegations.
But if it's in a context that the public at large understand and don't feel is odd or suspicious then all will be fine.
I'm not sure that 'legality' is as pertinent as 'perception'. But then, that's just about always been the case.

Think that is the nail on the head, it's all about perception, as you rightly say, nobody would bat an eyelid if you were using one of those horrid disposable barbeques, but a hobo stove being "out of the norm" in circles other than our own is viewed as something suspect

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So if bbqs are ok in most places, because its contained in its own tray. Whats to stop us from adding a few sticks after the bbq?or even lighting a small fire thats contained in a similar tray? That wouldn't be an 'open' fire then would it?

Are tent stoves allowed on sites with the 'no open fires' rule?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
The other side of it is if it's possible to spread sparks, wood fires ( albeit much less so in a hobo stove ) are more of a risk than gas or alcohol in that respect.

Although I've never used a hobo stove, I know what one is and I can't wait to make one. I've used Trangias (which I love), Coleman Alpine stove (my favourite at the moment) and a selection of rocket fuel powered Msr Stoves (Try taking one of them on a bushcraft trip and staying anon!)

It seems ridiculous that a hobo stove could be seen as anything other than a stove with a controlled flame, when you look at some of the stoves out there that no one would bat an eyelid at! Petrol powered stoves that require logical handling!??!! I'd be worrying about some people using them in our woods!

I'm sure some of you have used msr stoves before and know what happens when you light it just after priming, now that is a fire hazard! However as soon as the flames die down and go blue it's just a normal, noisy, stove and nobody minds it. Perhaps it simply comes down to the colour of the flame and the perception of what a contolled, cooking flame should look like.

A hobo stove is about the most natural stove you can get, anyone who reckons it's dodgy can't have used one. Mind you, I've never used one and here I am gibbering on like I know it all... ho hum... :theyareon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE