Legalities of using a hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Here in the U.S. I have seen a few places (because of extremely dry conditions) that specifically outlawed the use of "hobo" type stoves. Otherwise, they never receive a second glance from anyone. I use them and love them, but in all fairness to the powers-that-be, there is the issue, pointed out by "dogwood," of ash disposal. I feel most people would was their stove out with water, or bury the ashes -- but there is always that odd numbskull that will just dump his on the ground and walk off. These are people that the rangers, etc. have to think about. By the way, anyone wanting to make one couldn't go wrong making the Nimblewill stove found on "zen stoves.com" just google it and you will find at that website templates that can be downloaded for free. I built one and love it.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I think part of the problem is that in this country at least, camping, walking and climbing have become a technological battle with nature.

We are told that we have to have new materials and the latest, most efficient equipment before we can even step out of doors because the old stuff will not keep you bone dry and weighs slightly more than a feather.

The idea that we can thrive in the wilderness using old school methods and ideas, flies in the face of the whole outdoor industry and marketing machine.

It's bound to upset a few folks.

And THAT is the reason why I love bushcraft, most people who are in to bushcraft have realised that it is the art of using and respecting nature.............not a battle against it! It's not about your kit..............today I managed to get 15 minutes free time and with a firesteel started a fire with charcloth and birch poylpore and a dry grass tinder nest........net cost £3 and that was just for the firesteel, If I had used flint it would have been free!! It was immensly satisfying!!! We are all prone to living the material lifestyle---I pleed guilty to this without a second breath! But it's true, the best things in life are free!! For everything else there's master card---just kidding!

exped.equip.

Sep 30, 2007
Glos.
I think the problem is more the smoke that comes from any form of hobo type stove when first lit.To most of the general public you are distroying the ozone and poluting the air that they are breathing---smell/smoke from bbq is different the `smoke` is caused by burnt food or fat and certainly has a smell of its own and that to them is ok.Where people live in the uk is also a major factor in complaints regarding hobo stoves.People that live in a smokless zone are more likely to complain about smoke/smell than people in a non smokeless zone-----same sort of moans that one gets when you`ve instaled a log burner in your house!!!!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
And the simple answer is;

For
Ur
Consumer
Kind
Everything's
Material

(read vertically)

Ignore them, get further away from them, enjoy your passtime in peace.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE