Leather tankard...........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
After seeing a few of these in the Jovik Viking Centre the other week i set about making one, I searched the net and found loads for sale but no drawings or templates. So after looking a a pewter tankard I have came up with this.......

DSCF2464.jpg

DSCF2466.jpg

DSCF2467.jpg

I sealed it with hot Bee's wax inside and out it's now watertight and as you can see it was christened with my name's sake:D

Only problem is SWMBO has banned me from melting any more wax in the house due to the mess I made :eek:

Richard

P.S. the day after I finished it I found a template for one.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's very tidy indeed :approve:
Looks really good......did the beer taste better from a tankard you made yourself ?:)
There's always a satisfaction of making something good that you can use well.

atb,
Toddy

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Very impressive. So where did you find the template ?

Richard

It's one by Eric Methven;) Link here.......

http://www.primway.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tankard2.pdf

Wish I'd found this first.

I made mine by wrapping the paper around a Pint glass to get the shape the tweaking it to the dimensions of my pewter tankard. The leather one holds just short of a pint (not bad for a guess:D)

And in answer to Toddy's question, Yes there was a strange feeling of satisfaction drinking out of something I'd made:)

Just in case you all wondered it's in use again tonight:beerchug:

Cheers

Richard

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Nice work mate, Very nice chestnut colour to the leather. Neat stitching around the base as well.

When I'm waxing tankards I have a set of pans and things that ive put to one side, only used for waxing. Cover the kitchen in Newspaper and most importantly, tin foil on the bottom of the oven. Wax is a pain in the **** to get off the bottom of an oven!

I make my tankards to 1 1/4 pints. I've found when pouring beer into beeswax lined tankard, it froths up a bit. (coupled with bad pouring) hence that extra bit of space makes things easier!

I recently designed a leather chalise/goblet, for the drinking of much mead and wine!

2s1k9z5.jpg

t5n4ol.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nice work BS, glad to see it holds your namesake :D
SWMBO has been hankering at me to make her one for her ale, but finding a pattern is difficult!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE