Collapsible Dragon Carry Cauldron

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Traditional these baby dragon rescue aids are made from the finest flayed troll hide. Lightweight, folds flat for easy cleaning and storage yet sturdy enough to contain the energy of boiling chicken balti should the need arise. Sadly since most of the Welsh mines were sealed up trolls have become a bit thin on the ground so in order to make this replica I used an oven protector sheet and a few bits & pieces lurking in the workshop.

I didn't have any snap fastners the right size or hole punches big enough so the fit and finish is a tad wonky. It also came out a bit bigger than I thought it would with a 40x50cm sheet giving about two liters capacity with no lid. So some math and back to the cutting board for the next one I think. The metal base proved the most troublesome piece to figure out with so few examples of the original in use. Troll skin as you know is extremely difficult to glue requiring an evil witches brew of noxious chemicals and invocations of strange processes. If you're lucky you may find a troll but a chemical witch willing to mess around with Flourine, not a chance. Eventually after much thought and three bottles of beer later I arrived at the secret of construction, a false bottom & rivets! Absolute genius as this creates a small insulating air gap that stops the troll skin from melting when heated over open flame. The downside is a lower thermal transfer rate so it does take a little longer to boil, but hey who's in a hurry when camping? Again had to make do with what was available and in the absence of aluminum sheet & pop-rivets fudged on regardless with a thick foil pie dish and some bootlace eyelets.

Decided not to tempt fate for the first hot run on the bench so only boiled up half a litre of water, seemed like an age and a lid is definitely going to be part of the next one. It got there eventually to a full rolling boil but it was a big ask for the little meths burner and it only just made it before sputtering out of fuel. Overall pleasantly chuffed with result. The bench is still dry, the oven sheet did not melt or show signs of scorching and there's no hint of a plastic taste in the water. Even the foil heatshield came through in pretty good shape.

Disclaimer:
Any resemblance to a certain Kickstarter project is purely coincidental.
No dragons or trolls were harmed in the making of this prototype.

Attachments

• DSCN2463.JPG
    DSCN2463.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN2433.JPG
    DSCN2433.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2440.JPG
    DSCN2440.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2451.JPG
    DSCN2451.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2454.JPG
    DSCN2454.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2455.JPG
    DSCN2455.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2458.JPG
    DSCN2458.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: oldtimer and Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
:eek: I think I understand every single word in the previous post but I haven't got the foggiest idea what it is telling me. Would some please decrypt that a bit?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
These collapsible cooking pots cost about £35 IF you can find somebody in the UK who has one.
bb1.jpg

or you can make something very similiar for around £5 with a non stick oven liner sheet and some fastners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE