Leather Patch Designs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
hi....maybe we can get a bit of organisation going....if there are enough contributions maybe a poll could be run to decide the fave motto.

i'll read through all the threads so far and start doing a list....lets keep mottos short and ones we've thought of ourselves for now...so...am i correct in saying sams is his own?....please add to list and re-post...get brainstorming....bushcrafter....bushcraft forever...never alone in the trees...forest friend...walking and at peace...the woods are my home....damn these midges...how the hell do i get a tick out....be of the ray, not of the bear....bow drill warrior...who's hidden the dock leaves....

not at my most eloquent, i've had a beating today and i'm actually going to bed this side of midnight for the first time in a couple of years lol!

1...i'd rather be in the wilds

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ps....up till recently my signature was always 'nature will regulate us' by werner herzog....might do meself a bespoke one with that on....

+1 for the Herzoq quote.

Best.

da C.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....ok...dont go judging me on these i made them as quickly as possible while angela was out taking oliver swimming and i was meant to be
packing for the show up north....its Sir Taniths fault lol! theyre just to give a quick idea....the largest is 6.5cm...others 4.5....and theyre still
soaking wet from the dye lol!

i did them on pieces of 2.6mm columbo side to test whereas i'll use shoulder in future as it gives a better emboss and is thicker, better quality etc. dyed
brown with darker edges....burnished....holes marked etc etc.

i've no idea what to charge if anyone wants one but it'll be about 6-50 and that will include postage and cover paypal fees....is that ok?

dont quote me on this but if we do get a plate made up with a quote etc the finished patches will be under a tenner i would think.

anyway....i'll be back sunday night and i hope theres been some staggering brainstorming before then!!!! and i'll make a few of these up with nice shoulder too..

regards

a

Last edited:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I tell you there some staggeringly talented folks on this forum, never fails to impress! I keep hoping some of it will rub off :lmao:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
2 quotes to cover the tastes of the whole forum...

I love Ray, and I'm BCUK.

I love Bear, ' cause I'm not so damn square.

Sonni will happily produce the first. ;)

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
hi...well said swallow m8...

and its not about copyright...to me its about morals.

and using a line in a signature to say something important is not the same as pressing out someones quote 1000 times and cashing in on it.

And I'd take it beyond morals. The biggest wilderness to explore is the depths of our creativity. It lies in us all regardless of what we think.

There's a difference between using a quote because it encapsulates something damn near perfectly and deifying those quotes to the point where we can't be the author of own story.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I tried looking at the copyright thing, it's a bit of a nightmare to navigate, and most of the stuff on it is geared around reproducing in the same medium.

So I banged "Not all those who wander are lost" into google shopping and got various things including, notably, hand carved leather luggage tags. Google was a bit confused i.e. it mentioned 615 results but showed 92. Different searches gave different results. So there's at least 120 things findable by google for sale with that quote on it including posters, jewelry and luggage tags.

[h=3]Uses That Are Generally Fair Uses[/h] Subject to some general limitations discussed later in this article, the following types of uses are usually deemed fair uses:

• Criticism and comment -- for example, quoting or excerpting a work in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment.
  • News reporting -- for example, summarizing an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report.
  • Research and scholarship -- for example, quoting a short passage in a scholarly, scientific, or technical work for illustration or clarification of the author's observations.
  • Nonprofit educational uses -- for example, photocopying of limited portions of written works by teachers for classroom use.
  • Parody -- that is, a work that ridicules another, usually well-known, work by imitating it in a comic way.
In most other situations, copying is not legally a fair use. Without an author's permission, such a use violates the author's copyright.

Non-commercial use is often fair use.
Violations often occur when the use is motivated primarily by a desire for commercial gain. The fact that a work is published primarily for private commercial gain weighs against a finding of fair use. For example, using the Bob Dylan line "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" in a poem published in a small literary journal would probably be a fair use; using the same line in an advertisement for raincoats probably would not be.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo....just got back...shattered but just unpacked car and sitting in me den with a brew and smiling in a complimentary way....swallow m8 you really are quite special! theres definitely a book in you dude and i want a signed first edition!

but we might be electing you to do both the artwork and the words if you carry on lol!

thanks georann, belzeebob...

1...i'd rather be in the wilds
2...rediscovering old skills
3...bowdrill warrior
4...(and i'm entering this one on behalf of swallow and though its a little long, i like it and might have an idea for it alone) The biggest wilderness to explore is the depth of our creativity

(and have a lil' look in here....)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112143&p=1379945&posted=1#post1379945

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Oh dear. I've haven't explored that wilderness to the point where I have a graceful response for compliments. Therefore I'll have to resort to the British default of quiet embarrassment.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I think if we keep this standard of submissions on forum submitted quotes we are going to need a tutorial on how to make a jacket out of leather patches. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE