Leather Patch Designs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I really like the Kephart quote about the school of the woods. But is that one ruled out because it has already been used in skognivs design ?

No. Good idea. Add that one as well.
In the school of the woods there is no graduation day. Horace Kephart
Any others you like by Kephart?

The mountains are calling and I must go. John Muir

Is another excellent one. [Try telling a Scot he cant use that...:eek: ;) :BlueTeamE]

Angst, Could a maker emboss an image, then add the text later?

So you could mix and match quotes with designs and images which took your fancy?

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I really like this one:

It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy.
- Horace Kephart.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thats wonderful work Hibrion. Plus, sounds like you have an interesting niche in mind. Tooled Leather book covers. Great idea. I might have one of those off you.:)

Tis a free market [ar so they say :rolleyes:], so I imagine the first maker to pick up some inspiration from this thread, and the other threads listed here, who comes up with a nice looking prototype, will get the trade.

So far it looks like angst is going to go for it. He sent me a PM saying he was going to do it. Hopefully he'll post some more info or questions on here, about the design and font to be used.

Thanks. Looks like it's Angst's project so. I'll be doing some stuff at a later date anyway that might appeal to some. But when I'm up and running, I can help if required.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There's some great quotes coming but one thing to remember is it's a patch so space is limited.

You're probably looking at maybe 7 or 8 words max before it starts becoming cramped and unreadable, that or having to enlarge the patch to fit everything in.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
There's some great quotes coming but one thing to remember is it's a patch so space is limited.

You're probably looking at maybe 7 or 8 words max before it starts becoming cramped and unreadable, that or having to enlarge the patch to fit everything in.

That is a very good point and one that never crossed my mind. As you say we could make the patches bigger but they could work for backpacks etc and the smaller ones could work for shirts etc.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya....i'm 90% happy to do this or similar...but i'm not comfortable using other peoples words, art etc however ''inspiring'' they may be.

also....from experience of being involved in a few i have feelings concerning running a group buy. i work no less than 100 hours a week as it is and after seeing poor spandit almost top himself before.....well....

and anyway....anyone who's dealt with me before knows i'm more than fair when it comes to money....and added to that i always go a step further when it comes to 'family'....i would imagine i could do something like this at an agreeable price.

also....you lot on here are a brainy lot so how about we all start inspiring each other and come up with words of our own....there must be a poet amongst you?

a

ps....several times in the last few months i've had people suggest getting my logo done as patches and so i've been toying with for a while

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Goalposts being moved a bit now.

I had not really considered the copywrite issue.

I dont know if using a signature under your username is copywrite infringement, or if anyone could be bothered to try and enforce it.
Maybe it would be viewed differently if you were selling the patches? Anyone else know?
Think I heard once that every time you sing happy birthday, you are supposed to pay someone.

Frankly for a patch, Im not gonna start researching legal statutes.

Im guessing quotes by Kephart and Walden would be in the public domain and ok to use? Not sure about Tolkein though.

Is the Quote in the Public Domain?

Crappy little world at times isnt it?

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Can you contribute 1 or 2 quotes from anyone you like, Nessmuk, Kephart etc & a Symbol/Image for a leather patch or two? Ta.

So we're creative enough that we are above plagiarising the picture and the layout of the words because we can create our own original one,

but we have to plagiarise the words of famous authors because 29,257 of us can't come up with an original set of words, even though our number includes authors

:confused:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So we're creative enough that we are above plagiarising the picture and the layout of the words because we can create our own original one,

but we have to plagiarise the words of famous authors because 29,257 of us can't come up with an original set of words, even though our number includes authors

:confused:

If its over 70 yrs old its out of copywrite.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ok so it looks like every quote suggested so far is ok, except Tolkien then.

Bit of a let down, but if Angst can come up with something a bit flash, then it should still be worth doing.

Angst, Would you emboss an image, then add the text later? I dont know the process you would use?

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...well said swallow m8...

and its not about copyright...to me its about morals.

and using a line in a signature to say something important is not the same as pressing out someones quote 1000 times and cashing in on it.

dave....that could be done if someone wanted a personalised patch but would increase cost.

also....i'm a lover of mountains and all things mountainy....and i'm not a fan of deep water....however to me its trees that sum up bushcraft (whoever said it...mors or ray....) the most/best.

i fell in love with two roads diverged and l.o.t.r. when i was very young and its precisely the reason i wont put a dollar sign on them.

a

ps....so far i'm thinking three....

1...general one to appeal to 'crafters
2...one designed by us lot on bcuk, just as we are now....for the family.
3...my logo just because everyone keeps telling me to

Last edited:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I think using some of the older quotes should be fine. Failing that I'm sure someone can come up with something good. Hey even my measley signature line was just something I came up with, but I'm sure someone can do better.

Perhaps if embossing plates are being made, more than one phrase and more than image could be made as half stamps that can be mix-and-matched to make a patch to the persons liking?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'd still like a Tolkien patch, but a community designed patch would be cool too.

I like Sam's 'I'd rather be in the wilds', simple and accurate :). Image should include the BCUK logo (If Tony's ok with that of course).

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....maybe we can get a bit of organisation going....if there are enough contributions maybe a poll could be run to decide the fave motto.

i'll read through all the threads so far and start doing a list....lets keep mottos short and ones we've thought of ourselves for now...so...am i correct in saying sams is his own?....please add to list and re-post...get brainstorming....bushcrafter....bushcraft forever...never alone in the trees...forest friend...walking and at peace...the woods are my home....damn these midges...how the hell do i get a tick out....be of the ray, not of the bear....bow drill warrior...who's hidden the dock leaves....

not at my most eloquent, i've had a beating today and i'm actually going to bed this side of midnight for the first time in a couple of years lol!

1...i'd rather be in the wilds

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ps....up till recently my signature was always 'nature will regulate us' by werner herzog....might do meself a bespoke one with that on....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE