Leather Patch Designs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Following on from this thread, Tolkein and Kephart Inspired Leather Patches by Skogkniv BCUSA

and another good one one here http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/96035-New-Hobbyist-John-Muir-Mountain-Patches

Can you contribute 1 or 2 quotes from anyone you like, Nessmuk, Kephart etc & a Symbol/Image for a leather patch or two? Ta.

"The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began" Tolkien

With an image of a Winding road leading to a mountain maybe?

Im sure we'll all have different ideas, about what quote or image is best.
[But ultimately its probably a good idea to let the maker choose, and trust in their artistic interpretation. See what they come up with]

Makers:

Hopefully one or two makers who can either emboss free hand, or create an embossing plate will advertise their interest in this and take ownership of this project leading to a high quality design, and a group buy?

There certainly seemed to be enough interest to make it worth your while. :)

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Would the style of the original covers from George Allen and Unwin bookcovers, lend themselves well as a suitable template for leather embossing?

[For a tolkein quote anyway]

HobbitDJ.jpg

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I know nothing about leather working but something along those lines would be excellent. I don't see why we can't still use 'Not all those who wander are lost...' as part of the image. Fair point to what Skogniv said, but that is a pretty famous and well known quote.

How about a Robert Frost quote...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Not sure about the image exactly but a forked path would be good :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yep. I agree, I like that tolkien quote better than the one I posted.
Nice call on Robert Frost. I think it sounds better without the last line though.

Two roads diverged in a wood, I took the one less travelled by"

hopefully we can encourage a bit of a brainstorm, then let one of our good makers, see if they can come up with something as impressive as the ones on BCUSA.

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...i might!! be able to help....i'll keep an eye on the thread....gotta admit i think it would be better if we came up with totally our own design and words....but thats just me...

a

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I'm going to follow this closely, there's some good ideas already. Not interested in participating now though.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
i'm interested in helping not only in the design but also in the production....and i can get plate done too....but it wont be tomorrow and i need to make a coupla calls too....pm me if you'd like me to dedicate to this....

Great. Youre the first maker that's shown an interest Angst. And Ive bought stuff your ebay shop, so know the quality is fantastic. :)

How about keeping us informed on this thread?

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm hopefully going to be in the position to pay up as a maker on the site soon, and I was considering making up some patches anyway. I've only posted some of my leather work, and I am more into free hand tooling as opposed to embossing.
But I'd be willing to help when it comes to it and I have paid my subs.

As you can see from my sig, I'm a Tolkien fan too!

Dave, the original cover could be used as inspiration as it is the type of design that translates well onto leather. When I have the time I am doing a leather cover for my own copy of the Hobbit, since it's my favourite book.

To give you an idea of what can be done on a small area, here is a belt buckle I did for a guy in a motorcycle club, with their patch. This is done free hand with a swivel knife and tools. It isa little over 3 inches x 4 inches :

*** Please take note that since I'm not registered as a maker, I can't help yet. But in the next few weeks I will probably have the money together. ***

Last edited:

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I would interested to see what people come up with.
I do like the Tolkien quote , but it is my strap line.
What about a design with of a figure kneeling using a bow drill to make fire?
I have no idea if this would be achievable, but something along those lines might be nice.
Bob

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'm hopefully going to be in the position to pay up as a maker on the site soon, and I was considering making up some patches anyway.
But I'd be willing to help when it comes to it and I have paid my subs.
Please take note that since I'm not registered as a maker, I can't help yet. But in the next few weeks I will probably have the money together.

Thats wonderful work Hibrion. Plus, sounds like you have an interesting niche in mind. Tooled Leather book covers. Great idea. I might have one of those off you.:)

Tis a free market [ar so they say :rolleyes:], so I imagine the first maker to pick up some inspiration from this thread, and the other threads listed here, who comes up with a nice looking prototype, will get the trade.

So far it looks like angst is going to go for it. He sent me a PM saying he was going to do it. Hopefully he'll post some more info or questions on here, about the design and font to be used.

Think I fixed that link mate.

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Potential quotes?

“I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it.” - William Shakespeare

“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

And maybe a bit long - but I like them:

Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.” - John Lubbock

“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more”
- George Gordon Byron

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
More Potential quotes

He who a great good thing would know, must to the silent places go, there the good lord grant that he, has ears to hear and eyes to see.
Jeffrey Farnol.

[No I'd never heard of him either! The quote is off the cover of an old Woodlore catalogue]

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that i had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I really like the Kephart quote about the school of the woods. But is that one ruled out because it has already been used in skognivs design ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE