Lancashire - Radioactive Material Stolen From Van.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
"Iridium 192 is a radioactive isotope of Iridium with a half-life of 73 days.

It emits beta and gamma radiation and as a result has the potential to cause damage to human cells if they come into contact with it or are exposed to it for prolonged period of time."

So Police are seeking a large green man with torn shirt and trews :D

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Even the container (storage pig) will be pretty heavy as it will be made from depleted uranium so it absorbs the radiation from the Ir-192.
It won't emit beta radiation (beta doesn't penetrate far) or much gamma for that matter unless they get the isotope source out of it, that usually requires a wind out camera.

I know of someone who lost one in Hong Kong harbour after they dropped it off the gangplank of a ship there.
There's a hell of a lot of mud in the bottom there and they didn't find it either.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Whats a wind out camera?

The source is contained within the storage pig and in order to get it out to the place where it can expose the film (which is usually stuck to the outside diameter of a pipe weld) it has to be pushed out to where it's needed. Also it has to be in place exposing the film for a certain length of time (exposure).

The bit that does the puching out and you set the exposure on is the wind out camera.

This diagram sort of shows it in the out position, the gamma source is on the right, the storage pig is the bit in the middle and the wind out camera is on the left.
ir-194.gif

I have used one but its honestly so long ago I can't remember much about it, used an X ray machine more but they don't contain an isotope source and only emit X Rays whilst the machine has power.

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Even the container (storage pig) will be pretty heavy as it will be made from depleted uranium so it absorbs the radiation from the Ir-192.
It won't emit beta radiation (beta doesn't penetrate far) or much gamma for that matter unless they get the isotope source out of it.

I'm guessing you only read the thread and not the article lol. The two paragraphs above the two quoted by BareThrills say that the chap from the Health Protection Agency advises no danger while item is in its case....he also mentions a lead case but this might just be dumbing down for public's sake.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I'm guessing you only read the thread and not the article lol. The two paragraphs above the two quoted by BareThrills say that the chap from the Health Protection Agency advises no danger while item is in its case....he also mentions a lead case but this might just be dumbing down for public's sake.

Cheers,

If I am recalling my Geography / Geology right isn't lead ore a form of decayed uranium ore?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Cheers,

That one might be lead, we were told the one we used was depleted uranium covered with something else and that's also what our literature on the subject said.
No mention of how many Curies the source is currently (it decays to having less Curies) either.

It was 20 or so years ago I trained so much of its gone from my memory now but was an interesting subject.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It was 20 or so years ago I trained so much of its gone from my memory now but was an interesting subject.

Lol 20 years ago or not it sounds like your knowledge is still much higher than mine, I'm only going on what was written in the article, the very limited amount we were told for NBC drills in the ta and my cynicism on how public bodies appraise the intelligence levels of joe public lol :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Lol 20 years ago or not it sounds like your knowledge is still much higher than mine, I'm only going on what was written in the article, the very limited amount we were told for NBC drills in the ta and my cynicism on how public bodies appraise the intelligence levels of joe public lol :)

Used to be a weld inspector and industrial radiographer. My qualifications have long since run out.

I knock nails in now.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Just got back from a Police station tour with the Explorer Scouts...there are pictures of the missing item on every notice board.

i guess they are taking it quite seriously:rolleyes:.

Simon

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
That kind of muppets are either a) the driver and/or b) the courier company to a) leave the item in the van and/or b) leave the item unattended? Anything radioactive should be given the same transport security as money (armoured van, 2+ people etc) if it's so dangerous......stupidity isn't even the word...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Scaremongering at its best.

If it was dangerous it would be better looked after

Im sure I can find something better (ie hotter) on a cornish spoil heap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE