Banned dogs - thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Collie here, too. She's much more readily controlled off-leash. But obviously, there are circs where off-leash just isn't sensible. We hike the ravines a lot, where she is in her element, cyclists and coyotes or not. But, if she sees a white SUV she will try to chase and eat it. So, it's on-leash near traffic and, as a result, we avoid traffic.

Motorbikes for ours. What is it about collies and wheels?! :lmao:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Our terrier is such a softie with people* and generally much more enjoyable to deal with when off lead than on lead, possibly because her pace varies depending on what she comes across, whereas my pace will be constant, so likely more a case that I'm worse on the lead :lmao:

*She currently has a nail bed infection which is particularly nasty. The other day, the vet she's never seen before wanted to inspect the claw (which is damaged) and asked me whether she needed a muzzle, I said she is very gentle and I'll hold her, but if he wanted to then that's fine, he went ahead without it, on inspection she let out an almightly screech, but there was no sign of her wanting to put teeth on this 'random' man. Quite honestly, I'm actually amazed at how gentle she is to people. We trained her on biting inhibition, but when we trained her, I never expected someone to be able to cause her such pain without receiving something in return... Would have likely lost a couple fingers with our older one!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Our last ESP growled at the vet when she hurt her when giving an injection - she didn't snap or bite, just growled. The vet recorded it on her record. After a claim from our pet insurance company they removed all third party liability cover because our dog was aggressive - the vet had submitted the full report including the growling :(

• Angry
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Our last ESP growled at the vet when she hurt her when giving an injection - she didn't snap or bite, just growled. The vet recorded it on her record. After a claim from our pet insurance company they removed all third party liability cover because our dog was aggressive - the vet had submitted the full report including the growling :(
Thats ridiculous and it doesn't make sense to me at all. A vet clinic is never a calm experience for a dog, they are vulnerable, placed on a table in a room full of weird smells and poked and prodded in rather private locations by someone they have zero experience with. You'd think a vet would have the most understanding of all people about things like that!

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
My dog growls when he's playing, it's his "I am having fun" noise. Vicious beast.
Hahaha same here! Our older doggo (Scottish terrier) used to growl as a past time.... Admittedly, if you hurt her or played with her feet in a way she didn't like she'd hurt back (I have some scars on my hand when I trimmed her claws to remind me of that....but I'm actually quite fond of them)...but even in her least happiest daft moments she used to roar for the fun of it.... She could be anywhere and you could give her a specific look and she'd start with a very deep but low volume growl... depending on what your next moves were would depend on whether she'd increase the volume, then you could throw your arms wide and call her name and she'd hop over wagging her tail..... absolutely bonkers.

Reactions: William_Montgomery
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
That's absurd. It sounds like she growled out of fear rather than aggression. You would hope a vet would be more sympathetic in that situation.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be fair to the vet, they are now required for H&S and duty of care reasons, to record all responses from animals; they did not consider her dangerous at all. It was the insurance company that insisted on a full record of the treatment and over-reacted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE