Lanarkshire/Central meet ups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I'm up for a meet on lomond sometime,there does not seem to be anyone in Fife doing any thing,so I don't mind the trip over.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
if any of you know a good spot just put up a date and location, if you book them they will come lol. im kinda new to the bushcraft thing so i dont know what makes a good site. what ticks your bushcraft boxxes? if you dont mind a bit of a trek and a few wind turbines i recon there is a good bit in Ae forest, im bissy for a quite a few weeks so cant set any dates.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
sounds good to me:D, will be a few weeks before im free. do you know any were you want to go, i fancy a crack at tinto or gray mares tail if its not icy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See if you're heading up Tinto ? then if you go the back route from Wiston, then you could speak with the folks at Wiston Lodge.
They have a camp ground and woodland area. We've organised a meet up there before, and Tam and Colin camped over there in, and I jest you not, -12degC :) one Winter. The rest of us cried off that one :eek:
Good people, lovely site, and they're not expensive, but are helpful.
Just an idea :)

Mary

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
thanks Toddy looks like the start of a plan.

guna do some googling for wiston lodge. let's get christmas out the way then we all can plan this out.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
tinto looked great a day or two ago, was a bit snowy but didnt last. how about a wonder up on the 16 or 17 of this month.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
i dont know the area around tinto very well so i would be happy with a day hike unless anyone else knows a good camp spot.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wiston Lodge is a really good campsite. Around a fiver a night. It's pretty much a 'dry' site though, and many of the folks who work there live on site, so for a quiet meet up, maybe with a specific focus, it's great.
For a huge get together where folks get very well oiled, it's the wrong place.

If there's a few would like the former, then I have a huge stash of fomes needing processed into amadou. It'd be an ideal activity for those who don't want to climb Tinto (not likely I'll do that again, not with this damned arthritis, though I must have been up it over twenty times) and to spend the evening working at. It needs the fire on for hours to simmer it properly. Any craft activity works for an overnighter like that really though.
It can be Baltic up there, and the weather closes in fast. It's also kind of short on daylight at this start of the year.
They do have cabins now though as well as the woodland areas.

Happy to contact Wiston and suss out what's available if folks want, but they're very approachable if you want to do it yourself.

M

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I'd be happy to climb Tinto and then spend a night at Wiston Lodge as a small dry meet if folk were up for it. Would be great to see you again Toddy :)
Otherwise if folk can't do an overnighter then a wee day hike up Tinto is fine too. I'll go with the flow.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :)
I think it's time we had a quietish one. Something for the active folks to do (climb Tinto :) ) and stuff for the craftwork minded ones too, and in a good place to chill out.

I think then I'll contact Wiston tomorrow and see how things are with them. Might not fit into the 16/17th that folks are having a hike, but we'll aim for soon.
I have a chute and a firebowl set up (thanks Russ :) ) so at least we'll have some communal cover if it does turn sodden wet :rolleyes:

If anyone else would rather do the contacting/recce, just let me know ? I have no ego on this. I've done it before is the only reason I'm offering :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE