Lanarkshire/Central meet ups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pinerevolver

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 17, 2010
N.Lanarkshire Scotland
:lmao: I did'nt realise theres alot of folk from around the Lanarkshire Area
Hopefully next time ill attend one of the meetings or gatherups should be good fun meeting and talking to other Bushcrafters in my local area !

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
I'm brand new to the site and to bushcraft in general but (work permitting) should be up for meets in the future.

The Mrs is getting a bit miffed at me trying to drag her off into the woods ;-)

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Firstly welcome to the site mate, i joined the forum last year, and so far have been to about 4 meets and the BCUK Arctic trip and havent regretted one of them, there are so many nice like minded and welcoming people on this site who are only too willing to share their skills and may i add "Drink" with you.

So next time you see a post about a trip, send the guy a pm and im sure you will be most welcome to pop along and meet some of the guys..

Col...

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
Thanks for the welcome mate :)

Already jumped in the deep end and if I can sort a lift I'll hopefully make the archery shoot on Sunday (always wanted to give it a go :-D)

So what was the Artic trip like?? is there a review on the site??

Hi John,
just read a old post you posted and was wandering if you still are doing bushcraft in the area still? i am new to the bushcraft forum and bushcrafting and was interesting in getting started in the subject. Any help would be great.
nightmair

- Lanarkshire/Central meet ups - Brownlee Pond

Hi all,

Anyone interested in regular bush days/nights out in Lanarkshire/Central area. Me and Gerry (Gerry1965) are out every week at least one night usually either a hill walk and camp out or Clydeside just tarping and living out.

Get in touch if you wanna meet up.

John
Motherwell

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oi! :rolleyes: :)

It's been too long; we need a Scottish Meet up.

The weather however is not exactly conducive to chilling out other than utterly sodden wet and icy :sigh:
Fun's fun, but the hell with nonsense, kind of thing, tbh.
Drying out drookit clothing and kit kind of puts the dampeners on things at this time of year.
If it were icy cold and bone dry, it'd be a different matter though.

What we need is a barn somewhere with woods and water on the doorstep :D
Space to wander, forage and space to work dry even if it is cold.

This sodden wet damp's a pain in the neck; I had to compost two sheaves of dried iris leaves because they'd gone mildewed :( I had ten metres of rope made from it too :( but when I went back to it to do a bit more the bunches were half rotted and sending up more spores than a puffball :rolleyes:

M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Oi! :rolleyes: :)

It's been too long; we need a Scottish Meet up.

M
I'm up for it. Just thought i would bounce in and let you guys know my locality. I agree, The damp is killer right now, dont mind 3 feet of snow but wet everything just makes me want to cry. If a central Scotland meet is arranged could someone PM me if i miss the thread on it. Not adverse to traveling a bit further though.

Cheers, Stevie..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a cracker of a site at Comriecroft, but it's a heck of a trail for a lot of folk. Thing is though that it's about near as central as we can get for North and South, iimmc.

There's Wiston at the foot of Tinto, it's sound too.
Brownlee's a pain for folks to get to and park safely (JohnC got the back window of his van smashed there)
The Crannog centre's really awkward but it's a beautiful place and the folks are very friendly. Again though, it's sodden wet at this time of the year.

The eight hours of daylight mean that there's another eight of dark that we have to deal with unless folks can sleep for sixteen....there's only so long you can sit frozen at the back and roasted at the front next to the fire. Space to work out of the worst of the weather means that skills sharing, etc., is really possible and it's a great way to learn, join in the company, etc.,

M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I dont have a Car, not had one in over 5 years, (dont actually want one either)

I usually just Bus it to wherever i want to go. Bus stop across from my house takes me to Glasgow then it's walk a couple of yards and onto another bus and maybe another after that, then maybe get the thumb out if i'm trying to get to some remote places up north, but i've never found it a problem, you get to meet some cracking Humans as well and quite frankly i enjoy not having to drive as i get to ogle the scenery for a change.

I think i spent a total of £55 last July on transport from my house all the way up to Morar and all the way back home a week later, and that included a Taxi from Fort William to Loch Morar, I didn't pay the taxi, the bus company picked up the tab because they were late and i missed my connecting bus. got the thumb out a few times if i wanted to go certain places and got a lift no problem.

People in remote parts are more obliging than most. As long as you dont look like Rutger Hauer that is.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT uses the bus too.
I get up some mornings and find a post-it note stuck to the kitchen door saying, "Gone to Fort William/Aviemore/Arran", and expect a phone call to let me know he's gotten there and when he expects to be home.
The bus company even feeds him coffee, sandwiches and shortbread too.

There's a wee bus from Lanark that goes to Wiston, so that one's easy enough, and Comriecroft is on the road between Crieff and Comrie and it's on the bus route too. The Crannog's not, but the post van/bus does a route from Aberfeldy to Killin and it goes through Kenmore.
I don't know about Wooplaw....could ask Stuartf about that.

M

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Wiston is certainly a guid one, i just slept in the woodshed last time, did i tell about the time me and col were the only ones to camp there when it was -14 celcius?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tam, you and Colin ended up the stuff of legends :D

We had intended a New Year meet up, but Peter went up there and said the snow was rapidly making it impassable; I phoned friends who live on the estate and Rachael said that she and Si were following the tractor that was clearing the road, they were off to her Mum's and it really was bad, so it mostly got cancelled.

However the bold Hoolit and the Iceman decided they were going anyway.....and they did ;in -14C they camped...and Colin didnae even put up a tent :rolleyes:
At the foot of Tinto in the middle of the Lanarkshire uplands it's perishing cold anyway, but they kind of set the mark there.
I stayed snug at home under the duvet :)

It was this Winter we're talking about; Hogmanay2009 and it was still freezing solid into 2010.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51043

M

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
are people still meeting up if so im up for it I usually go to loch Lomond or down the woods by me I also do browlee woods I've got my own canoe as well so if anyone fancy's exploring the island let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE