lamb to the slaughter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why arent her superiors doing anything?

Head teachers do not grow on trees.

(As Vegtable lambs may well do)

My kids have grown up knowing where their food comes from - lamb chops/pretty lamb gambolling in the field = same thing.
They eat "pig and pomme" sausages ;)
No such thing as fluffy bunnies chez Beaky - both the kids refer to "long-eared varmints" :lmao:

oh and i'd like to add i'm a member of Peta - People for the eating of tasty animals.

Badge design competition? :pokenest:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
It's news today(yesterday) because there has been a protracted internet/facebook campaign to get rid of the head teacher, and after threats to herself and threats towards the school, she [the head teacher] resigned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8508975.stm

It seems only three parents (and two kids) objected from the school, from a school with 250 students. The majority of the support against the Teacher is from outsiders, and from overseas, protests groups, and anti meat eaters.

yup, there's no justice like mob justice. :(

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
I personally can’t see the problem.

Marcus had a good life, better than most, he was bought to be slaughtered in the end.

The kids named him, fed him and looked after him, now its time for slaughter!
This is a valuable lesson to the children, as stated before meat isn’t grown on plastic trays bought in Tesco’s, Emotional Yes, But a Valuable One, I think….

If the experience was a bad one, maybe the children will think before eating meat, where it came from, and how it lived

This lesson wont be learnt by my kids, unfortunately.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
When I was three we had a pet (pest) lamb called flossy. It disappeared one week and two weeks later we were eating lamb for our Sunday tea. Growing up on farms tends to give you a sound knowledge of where your dinner comes from!

I think what the school did was a good way of educating the kids on the food chain, I hope they included information and teaching on the huge amount of effort it takes to produce meat. I think that is very important for our generation, their generation and any to follow.

It will also allow the kids a very good opportunity to make an informed decision on their own diet.

I haven't read the whole bit about the protestors, they seem very narrow minded to me.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
And the real 'legal point with this is always forgotten and overlooked.

All these so called animal rights people, always use threatening baviour towards others. Something somewhere just does not add up.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Why do people object to me being born an omnivore?

I don't object to them making a concious choice to become herbivorous in their eating habits whilst remaining biologically omnivorous and missing out on proteins, oils and minerals that are extremely difficult to gain from vegetable matter and creating the potential negative global impact of the intense and often chemically aided farming required to produce enough vegetable matter to offset the equivalent nutrition gained from meat.

then again, maybe i should :)

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
This goes way back.
I was working in a nursery in Lydd when this story broke in the papers.
Most of the people I spoke to backed the headmistress.
A couple of other people and a social network thought otherwise. :(
I'd rather my children know where the meat comes from.My opinion.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why do people object to me being born an omnivore?

I don't object to them making a concious choice to become herbivorous in their eating habits whilst remaining biologically omnivorous and missing out on proteins, oils and minerals that are extremely difficult to gain from vegetable matter and creating the potential negative global impact of the intense and often chemically aided farming required to produce enough vegetable matter to offset the equivalent nutrition gained from meat.

then again, maybe i should :)

While your sentiments might be admirable, feeding livestock for meat production has a greater impact on our environment that crop production for human consumption.
Read "Diet for a small planet", it's quite an eye opener.

As a loooooong time vegetarian, I can assure you that the diet is easy, healthy and nutritious.

Back to Marcus.........

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I disagree with people calling parents who objected `idiotic` I dont see what is idiotic in disagreeing.

While I feel children should see where meat comes from - this lamb looks like they raised it as a pet. If you run a farm and do this kind of thing on a regular basis, the animals become part of a whole process, and you do not see them as individuals. To take one lamb, let kids give it a name and bottle feed it, is to allow an emotional attatchement to an individual, which you then kill? No Im sorry they might as well have killed a dog to drive home what happens to pets that wind up at the RCPCA.
Also with a school, we have to remember some kids will be vegetarians from the outset. Were they allowed to raise the lamb to, and object in vein to its slaughter? Dont they have a right to their opinion to?
As for the voting, I simply do not believe it. Its too easy to sway kids, I cant even imagine a `panel of children voting` without some adult influence on the final decision, I remember that crap at school!
I believe kids come-to when they are ready for it. As a child I would have been deeply deeply upset at the idea of the lamb being slaughter. Id probably have broke in at night and attempted to rescue it. My world view as a child has shaped my emotional repetoir as an adult, and I believe myself to have turned out well rounded and balanced. I could easily slaughter an animal as an adult, whats the big concern with `teaching kids` everything. you know sometimes they actually just learn without us ramming everything down their throats to make them see the `real` world through our own perspective alone.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
That is not the case, from the start the kids knew that the animal was going to be sold for food. they called the animal "Marcus", because he was going to the Market, and the student council was made up of 14 kids, I doubt that there is an adult on the planet that could convince all but one to vote in a way that was against the their nature, and they voted for taking the animal to market to be sold so they could buy more. My daughterand her friends are of an age where they are deeply passionate about things being ‘fair’, and had the teacher not told the kids repeatedly about the end of the school project, then that would have been unfair, and the kids would react negitively but from the very start, all the kids knew.
Truth be told I think the kids were fine, but a couple of overly sensitive parents forced their child in to a heightened emotional position, by repeatedly banging on about how “animals were barbarically tortured” before being “murdered”, and that is what has unset the two kids mentioned as having sleepless nights. If you read the facebook site, the emotive nonsense that most of the posters are writing you can easily see just how conflicted the kids would end up, if a parent or care giver was spouting on about animal right and PETA bullspit.

Meat is not murder, and whilst it may not be the best choice for all, telling the truth and educating kids as to where it comes from and how is it raised, is better than lying to kid about the shrink-wrapped bland insipid foam tray meat that the supermarket do their utmost to disguise as having nothing to do with the animals that kids enjoy watching in the fields as they drive past at high speed on the motorway, for that is as close as most kids get nowadays to the meat that they eat.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I get so tired of hearing the crap that people come up with. If we chose to eat meat or not it is a personal choice and should be respected. Humans have eaten meat for millons of years. And will continue for many more. You never hear people say how unfair it is when a conivore such as a lion kills to eat why is it any different if I do? My middle daughter raised a pig in school in Florida. When it was ready to go to slaughter my exwife let her buy it at the auction. The pig died after a few years and they buryed it What a waste.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
What is it with this strange minority of people who are obsessive about so called animal rights, and want to inflict there obsession on the rest of us? What happened to live and let live? They even threatened that ice skater who had some fur on his costume. I thought issuing death threats was a serious crime? I think these folks are mentally unbalanced, it amazes me that they get away with it.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Tadpole, how come you can call the opinions of kids who agreed to slaughter it as unfluenced by adults and balanced as those who disagreed as `influenced by overley sensitive parents who FORCED their kids into a state of heightened emotion`.

I still stand by what I say. one lamb, given a name, no matter what name it is, is not a good way to introduce kids to farming. There was a school near us that had a farm attatched, all the children helped out, it was a proper farm where the animals not individualised.
also,people, animal rights extremists shouldnt be catagorised with people who simply disagree. to assume people who disagree are the same people who send death threats is the same as fearing that all muslims are terrorists.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Tadpole, how come you can call the opinions of kids who agreed to slaughter it as unfluenced by adults and balanced as those who disagreed as `influenced by overley sensitive parents who FORCED their kids into a state of heightened emotion`.

I still stand by what I say. one lamb, given a name, no matter what name it is, is not a good way to introduce kids to farming. There was a school near us that had a farm attatched, all the children helped out, it was a proper farm where the animals not individualised.
also,people, animal rights extremists shouldnt be catagorised with people who simply disagree. to assume people who disagree are the same people who send death threats is the same as fearing that all muslims are terrorists.

Are they not?

:D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, according to our Government...

...Well, We dont have to take them seriously, do we?

I guess they are just against teetotal people who have proper values and sent their kids to Scouts whilst running the corner shop and playing in the village cricket team?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why on earth not name it and enjoy its company? As said above, there is no incompatibility between compassion and consumption. The creature had a good life and was consumed. Were it not for meat consumption it would never have existed and had no life of any type. The idea that "ickle kiddy widdys" cannot cope with the realites of life is utter bunkum - any upset at the despatch and consumption of food is down to poor parenting. Watch a farm kid despatch a chicken at five years old some time. They don't want it to hurt but they know where a chicken dinner comes from. Wishy washy parents however will pass on their own prejudices to their offspring.

Utterly ridiculous - to pretend the world is something different than it is is simply telling lies to kids

Red

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE