lamb to the slaughter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
This is why kids think meat comes from the supermarket,

Marcus the lamb

"Parents at a Kent primary school are angry that a sheep hand-reared by pupils is to be slaughtered for meat" :tapedshut

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Well done to the head teacher, pupils and school council for seeing this through.

Most folk are far to removed from the food chain and this will e a valuable life lesson for all concerned.

Simon

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
The kids voted for it to be slaughtered, the evil bar stewards! Not newsworthy, and indication of our times and quite how detached from reality a lot of people are. Ho hum, never mind, there'll be a story about Katie Price next! Who, you ask? Exactly!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A minority of small minded idiotic parents - good work to both the school and kids (no pun intended :D ).

Sadly that group of small minded idiotic parents and other people succeded in hounding out the headteacher with threats of violence against her and the school..... Can't say what I think of them on a family forum :mad::censored:

Story here

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
:pokenest:

I think that's a bit strong myself.
If you know you're keeping an animal for slaughter, especially when there's kids involved, for Christ's sake don't give it a name and treat it like a pet from the onset. I can see why some parents were upset.
Maybe the kiddies did vote on slaughtering Marcus, but how many of them knew what was involved physically and emotionally?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Have I gone mad, or is the original news story from September last year?
It's news today(yesterday) because there has been a protracted internet/facebook campaign to get rid of the head teacher, and after threats to herself and threats towards the school, she [the head teacher] resigned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8508975.stm

It seems only three parents (and two kids) objected from the school, from a school with 250 students. The majority of the support against the Teacher is from outsiders, and from overseas, protests groups, and anti meat eaters.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Inevitably.

its some outsiders.

(says she who would not have given them a lamb in the first place. Sheep are not pets and food and pets should be kept in separate mental compartments. Zoos these days try to distance pets from wild animals, dont they?)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what rubbish eat meat eat sheep and cows oh no not in this day and age they grow in plastic trays dont you know.......

i have dispatched meany animals in as far as possible a humain way and as long as thats the case and it has had a good life not in disstres.......

whats the problem?????????

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Um, it could be the Fall of Communism. (Says she who certainly does not believe that communism failed...just modified.)

A person who had done a lot of work for the RSPCA told me that back in the early 90s.

She said that the political extreemists were looking for new places to play.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used to holiday every summer on a farm up by Inveraray. There were always orphaned lambs, and yes, me and the owners grandchildren did feed them and play with them, but we were taught to call them the Pest lambs since they were kind of a nuisance and had to be tended to. Definitely not pets.
I grew up thinking wild rabbits were pest rabbits, unlike my pet ones. :rolleyes:

This sounds like a terribly engineered fracas :( I can't see why to be honest, surely animal activists would be happy for children to see the reality of what they were eating :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Um, these people arent interested in mundane things such as reality.

Nor, in many cases, real animal welfare.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
What a fuss! - love the fact that the Mum completely disregarded the fact that it was the KIDS that voted and decided on the outcome!

You can't keep them in cotton wool - Children have to learn its a big bad world out there sometime!;)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
See a little while ago i was watching kill it cook it eat it.
they slaughtered a cow, now my 3 year old was all full of questions like "what are they doing to that cow"
SWMBO was telling me to turn it off but i thought it better to let him see and tell him how we get those hamburgers and stewing steak that he likes.
i want them to grow up with an understanding of where food comes from and how to tell if its any good or just processed rubbish!

oh and i'd like to add i'm a member of Peta - People for the eating of tasty animals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE