Kukuri or machette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
KAE1 said:
I've just ordered the cold steel kukri/machete - £29 incl post, not a huge sum and good review, thanks for the advice.

No worries! If you have a belt sander, get some 220 grit on it and you can sharpen the blade alot quicker and smoother. If not, file, axe stone and wet-and-dry... all in that sequence ;)

Also, I suggest some heavy leather, or wood to make a sturdy sheath, the cordura falls apart in less than a week, believe me.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
KAE1 said:
I've just ordered the cold steel kukri/machete - £29 incl post, not a huge sum and good review, thanks for the advice.

i was playing with mine monday afternoon, chopped up a six inch log to about 20" long, and split it to make a pair of bats to cook beer-bread on with the scouts. it's much easier to split longer peices of wood with a machete and a baton than it is to use an axe and wedges.

be prepared to do some work to it though. like many machetes and axes, the edge as supplied is pretty rough to say the least. if you haven't got access to a belt grinder, then you'll want to get a big file. clamp the knife flat on a bench or workmate. file the whole of the bevel as you would with a scandi grind till you get a cutting edge. then take off the angle between your bevel and the side of the blade. then polish with a hoodoo hone.

it's not as much work as it sounds.

edited to add: it's a shame that we have to pay so much for simple tools over here that cost so little elsewhere.

cheers, and.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
oetzi said:
For a Kukuri, nothing beats www.toraforums.com. Here you get the info, very competent. www.toratoratora.co.uk is the site for the shop.
www.valiantco.com is likewise the source for anything more machete-like.

Ooops!! just ordered one of these too - patern 2 mk5, maybe I'll see which one I like and send t'other back. Or maybe keep both. Both £29.95 (cold steel kukri/machete and tora pattern 2) so be interesting to see what turns up.
Again thanks for advice.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
:lmao: :You_Rock_

i'd be very interested to hear how the tora kukri turns out.

my new billhook turned up this morning! it's a bit rough round the edges, but i'm sure it'll clean up ok. :cool:

cheers, and.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
sargey said:
:lmao: :You_Rock_

i'd be very interested to hear how the tora kukri turns out.

my new billhook turned up this morning! it's a bit rough round the edges, but i'm sure it'll clean up ok. :cool:

cheers, and.
I will keep you posted. I need to clear some hazel, willow and blackthorn from around my high seats. As said earlier I would normally do this with a Gerber folding saw. Be good to compare.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
My tora kukri just arrived. First impressions...... well I am not really qualified to comment but it looks strong and well made, the spine is thicker than I imagined and it all feels very solid. It is pretty sharp, Simon mentioned some voodoo on the phone about concave.. or was it hollow grind...so just rub it on ya jeans to sharpen it???? I think I need to confirm that.
I will be in the woods on Saturday and will compare it's efficiency against my Gerber folding saw.
I will update with the outcome
PS one of the little knives is really blunt!

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
KAE1 said:
My tora kukri just arrived. First impressions...... well I am not really qualified to comment but it looks strong and well made, the spine is thicker than I imagined and it all feels very solid. It is pretty sharp, Simon mentioned some voodoo on the phone about concave.. or was it hollow grind...so just rub it on ya jeans to sharpen it???? I think I need to confirm that.
I will be in the woods on Saturday and will compare it's efficiency against my Gerber folding saw.
I will update with the outcome
PS one of the little knives is really blunt!

Awesome, hope to hear a good review!

One of? Isn't it a little knife and a file? :confused:

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Certainly will keep you posted, interestingly same price as CS kukri/machete, shame I couldnt really keep both.
About the 'little knife'.....wheres your sense of humour man! :lmao:

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Just got back from my first test of the Tora kukri.
Task was to clear a load of willow, hazel, ash that were obscuring my line of sight from my high seat.
I took along my Gerber folding saw for comparison, as this is the tool I would normally use (along with secetears) for this type of work.
I soon noticed that the angle of cut is very important, I was surprised that the design was really user friendly, easier than the bill hook I used to use.
I was soon chopping 1 inch diameter very cleanly.2 and 3 inch were taking two or three chops. My technique improved and by the end of the session most of the 1 to 2 inch stuff was only needing 1 chop.I only used the saw for 4inch plus.
I got the job done in half the time by using the kukri and no fatigue on the shoulder/wrist after 3 hours work.
Complaints - 1 only and thats the sharp brass shape at the bottom of the handle, this was digging into my hand, should be more rounded like a leuku.
Tip - don't chop towards your feet!!

I know its early days but seems like a great tool for £29. Any advice on tips for keeping blade sharp most welcome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE