Kukuri or machette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
:confused: i am looking at buying a machette, but i heard that a kukuri is better as it is made of hard steel and will keep sharper looker, what should i look for or go for. :confused:

I think it depends what you want to do.

I have used both extensively in the past when I lived and worked in the woods.

A kukri-well the one I had was a genuine (old) Indian Army issue one, was great, kept a fantastic edge however, the edge always bent when used on hard non green wood.

Machete's well I've used tramontina's the Brazilian ones to gollocks the army ones. In my experience most machete's are designed to be used for light brush/green foilage cutting/cane cutting and are not that great at holding an edge on uk hardwoods of any kind.
Parangs and the like may be better suited to temperate regions?

My choice is and always will be to go for smallish billhook. It will do jobs an axe can't, is easier to sharpen and will be more usefull for a bushcrafter than a machete as it's tougher than any machete and is more versatile. Handforged Dunsford Billhooks are roughly £20 each from the supplier and last a lifetime.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll second woodsmoke and say go for a decent billhook - Dunford.

Has the added advantage when wandering about UK wood that it is is a traditional tool and is generally concidered as such by most folk - never had any bad press about billhook wielding nutters.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I totally agree about the billhook, no macho image and ideal for green hardwoods, though a bit heavy on the wrist after a mornings work..
I have one question for you bushcrafters.
Excuse my ingnorance as I come from a hunting/shooting/fishing/ferretting (and kayaking/open canoeing) background - but I find it a bit strange that the 'bushcraft way' of removing scrub seems to be with big knife or machete.
I have done a fair amount of woodland management and always used chainsaw, folding saw or pruners. The reason? to always leave a neat, and preferably angled cut, to prevent rot and ensure regrowth.
I could understand if the idea was to permanantly remove the scrub - indeed when this is the case I often slash down into the trunk or stem.
Am I missing something here?

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
KAE1 said:
I totally agree about the billhook, no macho image and ideal for green hardwoods, though a bit heavy on the wrist after a mornings work..
I have one question for you bushcrafters.
Excuse my ingnorance as I come from a hunting/shooting/fishing/ferretting (and kayaking/open canoeing) background - but I find it a bit strange that the 'bushcraft way' of removing scrub seems to be with big knife or machete.
I have done a fair amount of woodland management and always used chainsaw, folding saw or pruners. The reason? to always leave a neat, and preferably angled cut, to prevent rot and ensure regrowth.
I could understand if the idea was to permanantly remove the scrub - indeed when this is the case I often slash down into the trunk or stem.

Got room in your pack for that chainsaw? :lmao:

I agree a folding saw is nice, but bushcraft spans the globe. Some places, it's best to have a long blade like a machete, where you don't want your hands getting too close to the brush (jungles have venomous snakes and bugs, some temperate areas have thorny plants),

As well, I've used my kukri machete to make shelters, clear camps and even make tools, much quicker than I could with a saw, or pruners. Speed, and a variety of capabilities in one package.. can't argue with that.

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
KAE1 said:

The billhook was the traditional tool for hedging and coppicing for hundreds of years so it must work. Also easier to make and sharpen than a saw.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Do you find you machettes/kukris leave a neat cut? perhaps the problem with the bill hooks I have used is that they were not really sharp, therefore leaving the ragged stems.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
If I were to pick one between the two, and needed big cutting power I would probably go for a 15inch angola from H.I. But my penknife Khukri has served me well for a few years now, It does tend to need work when it gets to you, but for the price I doubt they could be beat.
The edge would hold up better with a slightly thinner convex IMO, but easy to use for a variety of tasks.
I have never used a quality machette so I could not recommend one.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was on exercise once with a load of ghurkas, I was doing something with my issue machete and I looked over to see these two ghurkas chopping stuff up with their Kukris they were so adept at using them I just looked at my machete and started laughing to myself at how crap I was at using it compared to them with their kukris!

As long as you know how to use it properly I would go for the kukri - but saying that it all depends on what you want to use it for.:)

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
KAE1 said:
Do you find you machettes/kukris leave a neat cut? perhaps the problem with the bill hooks I have used is that they were not really sharp, therefore leaving the ragged stems.

My blade is sharp as a razor, snips back foliage with a drop of a hat.

I'm gonna hold to my original statement and say, Kukri Machete is the best way to go in my own opinion Dino.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
My blade is sharp as a razor, snips back foliage with a drop of a hat.

I'm gonna hold to my original statement and say, Kukri Machete is the best way to go in my own opinion Dino.

Thanks for info.I think I will be adding another piece of kit in the shape of something long and sharp.
So far I have found; a handy looking British Arm Machete at www.whipperleys.co.uk
The 9 inch Stromeng Leuku ( I've needed a good excuse to buy one of these for a while),(Attacc)
The Cold Steel 13 inch Kukri (e bay) or 11inch K bar machete (e bay).
Anyone using the above?
Hope the answers are useful for you too Dino.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
KAE1 said:
Thanks for info.I think I will be adding another piece of kit in the shape of something long and sharp.
So far I have found; a handy looking British Arm Machete at www.whipperleys.co.uk
The 9 inch Stromeng Leuku ( I've needed a good excuse to buy one of these for a while),(Attacc)
The Cold Steel 13 inch Kukri (e bay) or 11inch K bar machete (e bay).
Anyone using the above?
Hope the answers are useful for you too Dino.

When you say Cold Steel Kukri, which do you mean? They have quite a few in that size. Kukri Machete? Or Kukri, like their LTC?

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
When you say Cold Steel Kukri, which do you mean? They have quite a few in that size. Kukri Machete? Or Kukri, like their LTC?
Its the kukri machete from Elite Hunting Equipment.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
just used my HI Kukri (16.5" WWII model) to clear the garden of my new house. Mostly Rhodadendron (sp?) but a few trees including a 20' Maple and hazel. Can't recommend it enough. It out performed a folding saw, a hatchet (Gransfors tomahawk actually) and a set of shears.

To answer a previous question, if used correctly it could cut through wrist thick sections leaving a clean angled cut (it didn't happen all the time but this was down to my poor technique and it was a real shock when it did happen, never cut towards yourself with one of these)

The tomahawk was better with a few really thick pieces of the rhodadendron, it really had the chips flying off, and it would probably have been better at felling the trees but I didn't go looking for it as I already had the kukri in my hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE