Kukuri or machette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
British Red said:
Looks like it'll do the job :)

Most English ones are thicker from smine to blade and have wooden rather than leather handles but <shrugs> so?

A lot of people forget that in many hedge laying cuts you aren't trying to cut through a stem - just 2/3 through on an angle to "lay" it

Red

Tempted to see why you darned Brits are so hung up on them and purchase one.. heck I'm a subscriber to their newsletter.. could always give it a try ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For me mate - they are a great "sapling / hedging" tool. I still like saw and axe for bushcraft but they have their place for sure - you can whomp up a fire crane pdq with one :)

Red

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
British Red said:
For me mate - they are a great "sapling / hedging" tool. I still like saw and axe for bushcraft but they have their place for sure - you can whomp up a fire crane pdq with one :)

Red

Hmmm gotta test that out!

Been out testing my Kukri Machete all day, made a crane while I was out there!

I've modified my baby in a few ways, new grind (slight convex rather than the severe one it had), and an edge (not a false edge, it's razor sharp!) on the back, from the tip to about 4 inches back. The "false edge" has a severe convex, to help knock through knots, or chop bone.

Next, how to get rid of the kraton handle...

Anyone got an image of a Cold Steel Kukri Machete blade with no handle? :p

Don't wanna cut off the kraton and be left with a tiny itty bitty tang that I have to work from :D

OzaawaaMigiziNini said:

This is a SWISS billhook. It has a much more pronounced curved point and has a leather washer handle.

It's a good forged blade and holds and edge well. I don't personally like it as when I was much younger and was cuttling willow coppice (and working to a piece rate) :rolleyes: in a flooded field, my mentor gave me one to try out and as much of the cutting was at water level, and I was used to using a newton bill with less of a point, I put this one right through my waders, leggings and through my knee cap... :eek: Ouch-since then I've never been fond of them pmsl

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
w00dsmoke said:
This is a SWISS billhook. It has a much more pronounced curved point and has a leather washer handle.

It's a good forged blade and holds and edge well. I don't personally like it as when I was much younger and was cuttling willow coppice (and working to a piece rate) :rolleyes: in a flooded field, my mentor gave me one to try out and as much of the cutting was at water level, and I was used to using a newton bill with less of a point, I put this one right through my waders, leggings and through my knee cap... :eek: Ouch-since then I've never been fond of them pmsl

You mean Swiss Design, or Swiss Made? It says "Made in Italy" on the site.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
I have one, it's the one I've been talking about in this thread.. I have a review on my own site, with pictures..

Kukri Machete Review

I have alot of good to say about her, this June will be her birthday, and she hasn't let me down yet!

Thanks - good site and good review. Doesn't come very sharp out of the box then? not sure if I can match you sharpening skills. Apparently the K bar machete is very sharp from the box and deep down I still want a 9 inch Knivsmed Stromeng Leuku. Decisions, decisions!!
Really good to have the first hand opinion though, and its a great price.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
w00dsmoke said:
Whether it's made over the border in Italy or not-it's a SWISS design and was origionally made and used in Switzerland. Good steel if you can get a hold of one, but like I say...not one for me ;)

Ah okay, thanks. I think I'll order one and see how she feels. Not like I plan on doing much hedge clipping anyways :p

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
KAE1 said:
Thanks - good site and good review. Doesn't come very sharp out of the box then? not sure if I can match you sharpening skills. Apparently the K bar machete is very sharp from the box and deep down I still want a 9 inch Knivsmed Stromeng Leuku. Decisions, decisions!!
Really good to have the first hand opinion though, and its a great price.

She doesn't come out sharp, but my god she gets sharp quick as a whip. I just couldn't find my axe stone and could only find a dull file. Yeah yeah excuses excuses right? But hell, she's a tough one, and cheap! I'm sure it's under 40 quid!

A Leuku is nice, never used one, but from tests with my 6 inch Mora, I can see how a 9 inch Leuku would pull off nicely.

I found my blade, now you gotta find your's.. now of course... there's always the chance of.. well.. buying all three ;) :lmao:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
KAE1 said:
So far I have found; a handy looking British Arm Machete at www.whipperleys.co.uk

I think this one's worth avoiding if it's the one I think it is, the £15.95 one? A few years ago there was a flood of them on eBay and now I see them sold as Web-Tex. They've got a double broad arrow on them rather than the more traditional Broad arrow mark. I got one off eBay and it languishes at the bottom of a box somewhere since I found it to be pretty poor. Couldn't get it to take a decent edge.

I'm sure Sargey will have something more insightful to say about it. Of course you could give Whipperleys a call and ask them if it's got the double arrow marking.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Justin Time said:
I think this one's worth avoiding if it's the one I think it is, the £15.95 one? A few years ago there was a flood of them on eBay and now I see them sold as Web-Tex. They've got a double broad arrow on them rather than the more traditional Broad arrow mark. I got one off eBay and it languishes at the bottom of a box somewhere since I found it to be pretty poor. Couldn't get it to take a decent edge.

I'm sure Sargey will have something more insightful to say about it. Of course you could give Whipperleys a call and ask them if it's got the double arrow marking.

I think they are one of the same.Thanks for the advice.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
those pesky imitation goloks!

yes, a few guys have fallen for the brit army machete, and all the folks who've had them have been sorely dissapointed with them. the only info i have had is that they're made by the company that makes kukris for the indian army, and imported by webtex, then stuffed into an old bayonet sheath. remind me to email trading standards in the morning!

the real old style brit army machete. also known as the No2 golok by martindale is significantly bigger, and has the martindale crocodile on the side.

most traditional billhooks though lighter than khukris, are significantly heavier than your average machete. not all machetes are created equal. some like the martindale goloks, the ontario machetes or the newer cold steel machetes are a good 1/8 of an inch, or just over 3mm thick. the really long machetes are often 2mm thick, or even thinner. you definately want a shorter thicker machete for general bushcrafty purposes, avoid the long thin whippy machetes unless you're travelling somewhere you really need one..

the khukris, short stout machetes, or billhooks are all great general purpose tools for bushcraft. :cool: you might also want to consider the japanese limbing axes, or even a simple old fashioned heavy meat cleaver if you can find one. i got one from ikea for fifteen quid. :cool: :D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
what you really want is something like this wee beastie on the right. the longer custom micarta handle means you can choke right up the blade for detailed work. the balance is so good at that point that you can comfortably peel the spuds with it! :cool:

twomachetes.jpg

sorry about the photo. my camera has died so this was taken with my phone.

the coldsteel khukri machete is excellent btw. the big curve will give you penentration in big wood to rival a hatchet. but don't overdo it. if you hit too hard the machete will wedge a bit. but then, so does a GB wildlife hatchet. :rolleyes: it does share all the twisting and glancing dangers that you migt get from a poorly used khuk'

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE