Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
I have been honing my carving skills on a series of spoons and thought it was time to move up a gear. Have spent an eventful day coaxing something resembling a kuksa from a likely looking piece of birch. It is currently bubbling gently in a pan of salt water with a stone on it to keep it submerged! Will post some pics of the finished article at a later date but would welcome any comments/criticisms of my work so far. Pic here I hope.
Not sure if the pic does it justice.
There must be easier ways of attaching/inserting photos than this.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HI Toots,
No pic :( Maybe have another go.
I hate trying to insert pics, now I just post a link to a website where I've put them up.
Cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Coincidence! I was just looking at Kuksa on Google Images and thought I might have a go. Toots, how difficult are you finding it and what size have you gone for?

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
fred gordon said:
Coincidence! I was just looking at Kuksa on Google Images and thought I might have a go. Toots, how difficult are you finding it and what size have you gone for?
I didn't find it too hard aulthough my hands hurt now! Frosts hook knife in picture for size reference. Started with a section of log (burls are hard to come by!)about 15 dia by 30cm.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Good stuff!

I'm giving it a go this weekend with a bit of birch and a frosts hook knife too! I'll be sure to post up a pic of the finished article :)

That one looks good though, doubt if I'll get anything looking that nice. Is it finished or are you sanding out the knife marks? (that's not a sarcastic question by the way - some people leave the marks in for character :) )

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
That is very nice,well done matey.Anyone got a spair burl they dont want laying around? :D I would very much like to try this.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
-Switch- said:
Good stuff!

I'm giving it a go this weekend with a bit of birch and a frosts hook knife too! I'll be sure to post up a pic of the finished article :)

That one looks good though, doubt if I'll get anything looking that nice. Is it finished or are you sanding out the knife marks? (that's not a sarcastic question by the way - some people leave the marks in for character :) )
Cheers Switch.
My intention is to sand all marks out to get it nice and smooth (and also to thin the sides a bit), then some kind of oil finish for appearance and longevity. I suspect I will immerse fairly warm oil for a while. I am sure that is what I read on here somewhere recently.Good luck at the weekend.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
woodwalker said:
sorry if this is a stupid question, but why did you sink it a pan of salt water? was it for some sort of proofing method. Wouldn't this make the drinks taste salty.

woodwalker

Apparently boiling in salt water for a few hours makes the wood take on salt. This means that the piece will dry out a lot slower than it otherwise would, thus reducing the risk that all your hard work was a waste of time as it cracks or splits. Suppose time will tell though. Fingers crossed ;) .

As for the taste, I have read on here that it soon dissapears after the first few drinks (especially if they happen to be highly alcoholic). Looking forward to that bit!!!!

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I have been reading threads on these for a while and keep telling myself that I need to have a go.

Your Kuksa looks great, you should be very happy with your work, I know I would be :)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I remember reading somewhere that people used to use salt to treat the woodwork on boats to preserve it, but eventually found out that they lost more than they gained, as the salt corroded the wood. Beautiful work, by the way! I've been planning to have a go myself and I'll be delighted if my work turns out like that.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
One thing to note - if you go for the immersing in oil method of finishing, make sure that once its taken out and dried, you put a few cups of boiling waster through it before using it out and about. The wood will soak up a lot more oil than it needs to be preserved and waterproof, and you will find that the hot water drives some of this out - both onto your hands and into your cup of tea :rolleyes:

If you stand it in a bowl, fill to the brim with hot water from the kettle, leave for 5 mins, wipe off and repeat 3-5 times, you will get the excess oil out but still leave the wood waterproof. Then only a very occasioanly surface rub with more oil will kep it in good shape.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Toots

Lieberon make a product called Tung oil (not tongue oil - SWMBO has loads of that). Its specially designed for wooden eating utensils, salad bowls etc, woodturners use it all the time. Its pretty much tasteless, food safe etc. Its a natural product (also called chinese oil) that penetrates into the wood and is absorbed by it - ie a residual treatment - and easily reapplied.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
That kuksa is looking very nice.

Salt is hydroscopic, so I presume that when the wood is "salted" the cup will pull water from the air maintaining about 70% humidity in a micro layer around the cup...so less splitting.

A poor man's cigar humidifier can be made by putting a tray of wet salt in the cigar box...this maintains the high humidity the cigars need to stay smokable. So I think the "salted" kuksa essentially performs as this sort of humidifier.

I would like to see your finished cup.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Thanks for all the positive comments and advice. Despite good theory and a lot of TLC a nice looking hand made kuksa turned into this! .
Gutted!! I suspect that leaving the centre of the "donor log" was not the best of ideas!!
Now plan to do exacly the same again but with a larger diameter piece to start with, or even better a burl.
A learning expreience though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE