Austrian KAZ03 Bundesheer Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Another case of “Sam’s Fault!”

Sorry for the long post :eek:

I found this pack and though ‘I quite like that, it’s got character ... for a modern pack … ’. And having bought it (£20 ~ RTI Military Surplus* ~ or ebay ~ currently no listings) I then set out to find out a bit more about it ~ like ‘Is there a belt available for it?’ (load lugging with no belt is no fun!). Other than being having been told it was Austrian I hadn't a clue ~ and the pack itself gives nothing/zip/nill/nada away either … After ‘a bit’ of searching I found that the pack is part of the Austrian Army’s Bundesheer KAZ03 system ~ knowing the system name or model makes searching for information a lot easier and quicker! I found that there are a few odds and ends available to give a few options ~ I expected there to be side pouches but not for there to be a choice of three sizes :D . I also discovered that there isn't just one but two belts ~ and also that and that they’re harder to find in the UK than the pack or the pouches :yikes:

* No connection other than being a satisfied and repeat customer ~ By the way, their site doesn't offer general mail/web orders so you’ll need to go in in person ;) .

First impressions are good though. Well thought out and put together well … I like the tabs on the zip pulls ~ but I don't like that they're sewn on ~ because I prefer to loop zip cords in different way, a way which takes the strain off the zipper and actually eases the pull. Changing the pull system might be the first mod ;) .

Some pics and a bit of general info.

Off-set front ~ showing pocket attachment strips and compression straps. Compression straps can be used to compress the pack and/or side pouches (which can stop _some_ rattling). Attachment strips on the front are for use with a shovel pouch (more of this strip later ;) ).

Close up of the side. The snaps on the attachment aren't standard snaps, each one has ‘Pull the dot’ impressed onto the cap (similar in use but not the same as ‘Lift the dot’ snaps) and these pop on and off in one direction only ~ and that direction probably isn't the one you instinctively want to use. Trial and error will get you there :D .

The rear of the mid-size pouch ~ there’s a piece of Velcro on each retaining strap to act as a back-up to the snap. The male part of the lower pair of snaps fastens to the snaps at the base of the side of the pack to stop it bouncing around.

Mix and match the side pouches at your fancy ;) . Pic below shows the compressions in use over the side pockets. The large-size pouch is roughly the same as the side pouch on PLCE and type Bergens and will swallow a couple of small folding camp tables with ease. The small-size will hold a Coleman 400/Peak1/Exponent in its Coleman rectangular mess tin with space to spare. And the mid-size pocket could have been designed to take my Vihe LoueII! There's also a loop and strap for an ice axe.

Close up showing how the Small and Mid-sized pouches sit together. This is definitely a pack which needs the main compartment filled (or compressed) for the lid to sit correctly. EDIT: Bit of an epiphany moment. The reason the lid sits so poorly is that it was on back to front! :eek: (What should be _the_ authority show it used both ways so I'd not considered that one would be better than the other :). Correctly oriented lid is on the right ;) (look for the webbing loop above the side release buckle ;) )

Back to that front attachment strip (the one for the shovel pouch) … It would be easy enough to use a compression strap to hold the base of the pouch against the pack. I have to admit that I didn’t consider that a pouch could go on there until I was most of the way through taking these pics ~ fortunately I’d used a second Mid-sized to pad out that little pocket at the base :cool: . So I strapped it on and took a quick pic.

On the basis that someone might ask how far down the Large-size pouches go …
See that little snap and tab on the triangular dart the shoulder strap anchors to? I’ll come back to it ;) .

No real use to me, but I’ll include the next couple of pics as an ‘out of interest’ series of shots ;)
Right shoulder strap has a quick release system ~ yank the slightly beige bit … And I’ll come back to the metal bit shortly.

… and having yanked it …

And back to the metal bit … it connects the pack to the belt (which I’m still trying to source for a good price :headbang:). Remember that snap and tab on the triangular dart? It’s what holds the bar securely in place. The idea is that you can have pouches on the belt independent of the pack ~ letting you remove the pack whilst keeping the belt and pouches in place. See that zip right at the bottom of the pack?

No idea what the pocket is actually for but it’s just the right size for a wool cap and mitts …

Snow lock, grab handle and floating lid pic ~ zipped compartment inside the lid.

Adjustable back …

Padding unzips for access. The straps are a 'Y' shape. The leg of the Y forms the loop which hold the straps in place.

Zipped rear pocket on the lid.

Detail of the top straps. Three loops makes for multiple attachment options. The top straps are sewn in place between the two loops closest to the rear zip.

Two pics of one of the two belts available ~ the high back (I'm not sure of the correct name at this point :eek: ). Intended to have pouches attached and to be utilised (with either a vest or yoke) independently of the main pack.

16358167705_28bc5fd0b3_c.jpg

16356426871_2c684e5d63_c.jpg

EDIT: How the pack attaches to the belt:

I can only assume that the L marking translates as Lang (German for long) and that different sizes _might_ be available :dunno: . I suspect that L might be too long for racing snakes ~ below 36" you might struggle ... unless you're wearing bulky clothes ;) .

Apparently Heereseigentum just means 'Army Property'.

From above:

How the pack's quick release system attaches to the belt ~ just pull the black metal dee and the snapper comes away, keep pulling and the bar disengages pack from belt:

Belt flipped up and held in place by the shoulder straps (which is how I store it between uses). The yoke straps would come out of the oblong holes and fasten onto the plastic buckles ~ the oblong holes prevent the potential for the long flap folding down and rubbing your back:

The pouches were purchased on top of the cost of the main pack. They aren’t ‘cheap, cheap’ but I consider them worth the outlay for the increase in options ~ I have 2x small, 2x medium, and 2x large pouches. The spares will be used as carry options inside the main pack.

Time will tell, but I’ve an inkling this will become a firm favourite ;) .

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or read through this rather long and wordy post ~ I hope it makes sense :eek: .

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Very nice looking pack, its the sort id have loved to have had,before I got old and went over to lightweight kit,although I do still have the old external framed sadf one for such eventualties.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
That does look like a good pack Phil.

What's the weight of it like?

Typical military load-lugger ~ Size of a small country estate and weighs as such ;)

So which university has the syllabus for an MA in packing this monster? :)

:rofl: Your Bergen's bigger :p There's still a couple of bits out there I'd like to source ~ like the much needed belt :eek: (It's comfortable, but loads are always more comfortable with a good belt).

Very nice looking pack, its the sort id have loved to have had,before I got old and went over to lightweight kit,although I do still have the old external framed sadf one for such eventualties.

Know the feeling. This is more for bomb-proof load lugging than bog trotting or hill jaunts :D

That is a nice looking pack, all those options!!

As Jimny Cricket said "... there's more!".

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> There's still a couple of bits out there I'd like to source ~ like the much needed belt <<<

Found one ~ that was quick, wasn't it! :eek: :cool: High rather than the low back version, but it'll still help spread and manage the load.

The pouches which attach to the pack will also fit onto the belt for allow for either stupid levels of load lugging or just pouches on the belt for bimbling about :D :viking:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
How did I miss this!!!!

Me likey a lot, what a great combination of old school and modern pack......might have to add this to the ebay alerts :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
...might have to add this to the ebay alerts :)

Just searching on KAZ03 on ebay should through up a few results from a couple of sources ;) . One* of the sources, Army-Warehouse, has a web shop (link) as well as an ebay presence ~ the pack's on their own site but I couldn't see one in their ebay listings

* And possibly more, I haven't bothered to check :eek:

EDIT: Be aware that this isn't, in any way shape or form, a cheap or bargain basement set up ~ well not unless you strike it extremely lucky (as I did :D ).

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A quick update.

It turns out that this bit is slightly more than inaccurate ... :eek:

Close up showing how the Small and Mid-sized pouches sit together. This is definitely a pack which needs the main compartment filled (or compressed) for the lid to sit correctly.

... the lid sitting askew is nothing to do with how full it's packed, what's in it, or whether it's compressed or not ...

... you just need an epiphany moment when you look at the shape of the lid and suddenly realise that it's on back to front! :eek:

The two pics don't look too different. But look at the position of the webbing loop ~ in the top pic it's above the shoulder straps ;) .

But, in my defence, that's how it came and what should be the absolute authority, shows the lid fitted both ways round in their promo stuff so I'd not considered that one way would be a better fit than the other ;)

For ease of information access I'll edit the corrected lid pic into post #01 :eek:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Will it weigh a ton wet?

Wet? It's a surplus pack, it weighs a ton dry! :rofl: Well, until you put it on ... and then, as if by magic, the weight disappears*.
Massive build quality though :D .

* Just my opinion, others might not agree (but my experience is based, amongst other things, on lugging kit in it on several >5km runs and a >20 mile day hike with it). It works for me.

Or is it like the same type of material on British webbing?

The pack and its webbing strappage, is synthetic ~ even the bits which look like old timer canvas webbing are synthetic.

As to any water resistance ... :dunno: . A pack cover is always a good idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE