Help me save my doomed Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The first kuksa I carved, I carved from a fresh whitebeam log spilt in two. It started to split really badly. I put it outside in bucket of in cold for until the splits healed then kept it outside in a bag for a couple of weeks in cold weather. Ended up really sound.

yours looks very nice, i dont think you will have too much of problem looking where the heart is, the wall looks thick enough.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
So here it is after sanding and a coat of Walnut oil. So far there's a tiny crack coming from the pith at the front of the bowl, on the left in the first pic. It's not as long as it seems in that pic....

47d797f7-360d-473a-b7c5-8d421970d68b_zps00d779ed.jpg

This shot shows it clearly. It's been that size for a few weeks without growing...
6b62779b-9c39-4b25-9b24-e812568ac054_zps5ed93c27.jpg

The same crack from the outside. Again it hasn't got bigger in a few weeks of drying...
73fd7e08-1f46-4674-9988-a4191b0f3e65_zpsbdc949f7.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed with it. Perfection it isn't and I'm happy with that...
eb01a003-103e-4bd8-a079-bc0883f616f5_zps497619b7.jpg

I'm thinking I'll continue to let it dry in a bag in the drawer for a while unless anyone has more tips at this point. It felt pretty dry today and sanded easily. I still have no idea what type of wood it is but the grain is nice...
fcfe20ad-2d5f-46ee-8402-123096db6b71_zps237a609f.jpg

Thanks for all your help. Coffee cup or plant pot? I'm still a bit anxious about the answer to that one. Time will tell.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Cool! It seems to hold up great for a kuksa with pith. Defying all rules there :cool:. I think the biggest risk is behind you now, but in these cases there is no too slow drying I think, to be safe.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
That looks great.goodjob I'm going to have a stab at cherry. It's either cherry or someone will correct me (probably as I type).

It probably sanded easilly as the outside was dry(est). I think wood is supposed to take a year per inch to season. That's for a log so a 1" thick bit would season from both sides taking 6 months.

You'll need to give it the hot coffee test and see what happens. I just sealed a small crack in mine (after 5 years of leaking) with cheap epoxy as it dries clear.

If you're like most kuksa makers I believe you'll be making more. It's quite addictive.:)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
My only comment on the first shots would have been keep it damp as described above but also carve it thinner as its less likely to split.

I see it is thinner and looks good well done.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Cherry? I had a look and saw some images which looked familiar. My log was pretty pinky red when freshly cut. It looked like this pic taken from the web...
th
Pinky red heartwood with white sapwood.

Thanks for the comments. I'll continue to let it dry slow and resist the temptation to fill it with coffee. ;)

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
My only comment on the first shots would have been keep it damp as described above but also carve it thinner as its less likely to split.

I see it is thinner and looks good well done.

Mate I read in a few forum to leave it a bit thicker while drying then thin it later, which is how I did it. Waddaya reckon for future reference?

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Thanks Hugo. I wanted it big enough to use as a coffee cup at home.I used Walnut oil for the first time. I like the outcome. It leaves a nice sheen and a wee bit of colour and is cheap as chips. Nice nice. :)

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Cheers Bert. If I was drinking Brandy and using knifes I would be in prison. I'll stick to coffee me thinks. Yeah I must be growing up.

th

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Well done. Bet it tasted great:)

The spoon looks nice as well. Remember not to wash the kuksa. I started drinking coffee black so that the milk wouldn't sour the wood (not washing) but apparently the milk helps preserve it (so I read somewhere).

There was also a reference to milking products made of wood and not going off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE