Kuksa Problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ahoy Bushcrafters!

I am currently carving my second kuksa and just like the last one, it has split. I store it in a half open plastic bag in the garage where it seems to be fine at the start of carving, but once you get most of the bowl carved out it always seems to split. I have heard of boiling the kuksa in a brine solution, can you do this before finishing carving the bowl of the kuksa out? and what exactly is the brine solution, salt and water of course, but is there any proportions of salt to water etc.? Anyhoo its good fun and practice even if it splits and it can be 'ornamental'. All help appreciated.
Cheers

outdoorpaddy

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Well, it isn't exactly cut from the tree, I use logs from a felled birch tree which has been sectioned and has been sitting for a while on the ground. Beyond that I just split the log where needed and get to work lol. The log used this time was about 5-6 inches in diameter. I hope you can derive something from all that lol.
I would select the wood properly if I could, it's just that I get from my local forest where you're strictly not allowed to harvest any live wood which really sucks but it's the best I can do.
Thanks

outdoorpaddy

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Sounds like you are leaving the very centre core (the pith) of the tree in the piece. The trouble is that the wood wants to move, but the very centre can't, so it tears itself apart.

The solution is a bigger log and/or a smaller kuksa and get rid of the pith.

I would try splitting through the pith, then axing/planing a few growth rings from the pith (say 1/4 inch, maybe more depending on the size of the log), then shaping.

Cheers

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I looked for recently felled Birch with a larger diameter than yours.

Split that log and it does away with any pith issues.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm working on a sycamore Quaich at the moment. I've adzed it back to nearly the core of the branch - might take it back a bit further now. It's semi-seasoned - came off a tree about 2 months ago. Hasn't split at all while it's been stood on end in my garden in that time (5" log, bark left on, about 5ft long).

I thought the sycamore would be bland and white, but the exposed wood is taking on subtle purple and brown hues. I only get a half hour or so to work on it every few days, so it's sitting out in the rain in between times.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Trick as Ian says is look at the end grain, look at the growth rings and make sure you do not have the centre of the tree in you bowl anywhere or it will crack. Better make a small nice bowl than a big cracked one. 2 month old sycamore left with bark on is not really semi seasoned, it will move as much as a green one and needs treating the same.

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
The Pith rule is one of the few rules worth sticking to in green wood carving, though it can be broken by seasoning the wood first. I am more and more inclined to carve at least partially seasoned timber.With sharp tools, most woods are easy enough to carve when you get through the outer,most seasoned surface. If you carve a wood that is very wet ( think that cut in the spring or summer) it is all most impossible to get a finished cup in one session. You will need to let it dry a few days to get a good finish. The longer you let it dry( weeks or months), the more oil it will absorb. I often hear people ask about a white, or grey bloom on the surface of the cups. This is moisture trapped by an oil finish but on to soon,. I agree that Birch Burr is beautiful, possibly my favourite timber for cups but most timber is fine, I am surprised that we don't use more Willow ( still used in Eastern Europe). It follows that a wood that holds a lot of water will, if thoroughly dried, absorb oil well. I am very much looking forward to seeing the Sycamore Kuksa. A traditional wood for us Welsh despite the fact we are all removing it from our ancient woodlands.

A lot of timbers split, because the damage is already in the wood, due to clumsy processing.If you saw a log in two without supporting the two sections, the lower half of the split log might have the equivalent of stress fractures in it. When we select a branch that has been blown down, we often go for the section with the widest diameter. Invariably this is next to the traumatic break where the wood split as it broke. You might not see these checks and splits in wet wood , but they might well will open. The clumsy use of an axe, a blunt axe or the wrong type of axe often creates unseen problems, where the wood has been compressed or bludgeoned leaving unseen damage.

If your cup has cracks that radiate outwards from the centre of the front or rear wall, you probably have not removed enough of the wood either side of the pith and your cup is doomed. If the cracks are around the lip of the cup, this is often from traumatic harvesting or processing.The good news is that if you remove the damage, then rub some oil around the lip, it is unlikely to split again. In fact with difficult woods I often rough shape a cup, then oil the lip to prevent it splitting.

Nature of course does her own thing and cups will split for other reasons. At The Bushcraft Show, our birch cups were splitting as we could carved them . Wet wood on a hot sunny day.At the Wilderness Gathering, I was trying to carve some Silver Birch from Dorset. If I had not carved tons of Birch before, I might have never carved it again....it was impossible

To play safe I always roughly carve a cup then pop it in a paper bag for a few days. I don't think you need to put shaving in with it, they only delay thing more. The same applies to plastic bags, except they also often encourage mould.As my cups are for sale, I wouldn't want to risk mould in a cup, though 9 times out of 10, you can sand it away.
I reckon a paper bag or even one inside another bag keeps all sorts of trouble at bay.If I have run out of bags, fine cotton cloth does the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE