knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a double slip reef knot at least twice a day.....other than that a round turn and 2 half hitches is mega usefull!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I use a double slip reef knot at least twice a day.....other than that a round turn and 2 half hitches is mega usefull!

I sometimes use a different knot for my shoelaces, depends on the shoes. Sometimes it's a double slipped reef knot, or "bow" as some people like to call it! :)

Round turn and two half hitches already mentioned is a great knot which I often use to fasten guys to tarps. Very easy to undo after being tensioned. The other knots I like for the same reason are the Zeppelin bend and Zeppelin loop.

Other knots often used by me:

Clove hitch
Constrictor knot
Sheet bend

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Clove hitch virtually every time I'm out. Ditto with square and diagonal lashings.
Sheet bend, probably tie this a couple of hundred times a day, so can do it with my eyes closed no problem.
Fishermans knot-Occasionally.
Reef knot not that often but sometimes.
Round turn and two half hitches often.
Timber hitch occasionally, but not that often.
Prussik loops a few times.
A few fishing knots whos namews I can't remember a lot of the time.
Bowline occasionally, triple bow sometimes as well.
Figure of eight often, and the double as well.
Sheepshank- I like this knot, but don't use it that often.

I'm sure I've forgotten some.

Mang

Settler
Clove hitch

Sheet bend

Reef knot

Round turn and two half hitches

Timber hitch

Bowline occasionally

The prev mentioned Constrictor knot is a sort of advanced Clove Hitch but it can seize to the point of having to be cut away.

A Sheet bend is similar in layout to a Reef but more secure.

A RTATHH can be made more secure by making the first half hitch by passing the cord between the round turns and whatever you are securing to (can't recall this knots name at this time of the morning!)

A Timber Hitch is smoother if a half turn is put around the log in front of the knot. This then becomes a Killick hitch.

A Bowline can be a two loop one, simply pass the cord through the first loop (the ''Bunny Hole") twice.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
A RTATHH can be made more secure by making the first half hitch by passing the cord between the round turns and whatever you are securing to (can't recall this knots name at this time of the morning!)

Ashley calls it the Fisherman's Bend but it also seems to be called the Anchor bend

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE