Knife law change?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The ones i've seen have folding blades. Though looking closer... they do seem to have some way to lock the blade in place.

They don't have a way of locking the blade in an open position, only a "safety" so the can't fall open. The only lock is the way the handle folds so your hand is in essence the lock

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
The ones i've seen have folding blades. Though looking closer... they do seem to have some way to lock the blade in place.
There are a few different types I know of:

They all have edges under 3" but as far as I can see they are either fixed blades or locking folders. My opinion is that they all should require good reason. That said, most coppers couldn't care less unless you're waving it about in a drunken rage threatening to slice someone up! :)

Airport security can be a different matter, even though you will find the rules say you can take as hand luggage a knife with a blade up to 6cm. The signs at baggage check in suggest that all knives are banned from being carried as hand luggage. Unfortunately many airport security staff appear to be poorly trained and believe this is law.

I have carried an old model Leatherman Kick multitool with a 2" (ish) non-locking blade (with the blade "inside" the body of the tool) as hand luggage through security at quite a few UK airports. I tend to inform the baggage check in staff I have it in my laptop bag. On a few occasions they have claimed I cannot carry it onboard and I have pulled up the site linked to above. Most have accepted that this is the legal position and allowed me to carry it in most cases. Where not it has gone in to my hold luggage.

Some airlines have their own conditions of use which prohibit the carry of ANY bladed/sharp item as hold luggage, let alone hand luggage (yes, I am looking at you Easyjet!). That is their right (as stupid and overly cautious as it may be) and these days I avoid them where I can. If I can't avoid them the Leatherman goes straight in to my hold luggage.

That said, I have never been stopped from carrying my Leatherman Squirt on my keyring.

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
They don't have a way of locking the blade in an open position, only a "safety" so the can't fall open. The only lock is the way the handle folds so your hand is in essence the lock
Interesting! Got a link? I wouldn't mind one of those for my wallet (if I can squeeze it in with the duct tape, CPR mask, Fresnel lens and get lucky condom!)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Interesting! Got a link? I wouldn't mind one of those for my wallet (if I can squeeze it in with the duct tape, CPR mask, Fresnel lens and get lucky condom!)

PM sent with a link. They're actually not bad

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Thanks Mick. I had a look at the link and I have one. It's what I called a "flat pack" in the post above. They're a handy little tool but the risk is you need to unfold them to get back to the card form. The definition of a locking knife refers to a "mechanism" (IIRC) which needs to be used allow the blade to fold and that when the blade is in the usable position it must be immediately foldable. My worry is that many coppers would see this as a form of locking knife and would either offer you the chance to hand it over for disposal or (as one police acquaintance of mine said) make an arrest for every knife found and let the CPS sort it out. I leave mine in my rucksack lid pocket with the first aid kit as a backup.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Didn't see that link sorry for the repeat. To stay on the safe side I usually only carry my little spyderco grasshopper mini. Simple fact is though most of the time if you aren't doing anything wrong the police will air on the side of common sense. So long as you have a reason to have one they're in my experience normally ok with it

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I just took a look at these credit card knives and they look pretty cool and very handy but.. I would class the mechanism as a locking one :(

Wouldn't be much point in having one for the amount of carry it would get being a locker.

Very cool design though.

This was the first video i come across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IWSPHiuyok

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I just took a look at these credit card knives and they look pretty cool and very handy but.. I would class the mechanism as a locking one :(

Wouldn't be much point in having one for the amount of carry it would get being a locker.

Very cool design though.

This was the first video i come across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IWSPHiuyok

The older ones don't have that external lock that's where my personal confusion arose

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The article does say blade, and discression by the judge, I wonder what happens if your caught twice thrice or more with a small screwdriver that you forgot, forgetting is not a good enough reason!
Apparently it's a warning on the first offence and your nicked on the second offence with a possible prison sentence, which means that when we want to practice our Bushcraft I think this could cause us a bit of a problem......or have I got this completely wrong?
You can't argue with a warning, like a caution. The police dish them out without trial and straight onto the police computer. Then the next time you are a repeat offender, you have been warned,prior record "he's got form Gavna", and you will get railroaded with a criminal justice system with no course for reply, one that is controlled by the accusers.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The older ones don't have that external lock that's where my personal confusion arose

Had a quick look again at the videos and it looks pretty much like a lock to me in both. The handle acts as a lock in both cases. Like a Butterfly knife or a gravity knife.
Always thought the definition was that you had to engage a mechanism to release the blade for it to be a lock knife, be it a liner lock, frame lock etc.
Where as a slip joint needs nothing another than pressure on the blade.

Happy to be wrong.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Had a quick look again at the videos and it looks pretty much like a lock to me in both. The handle acts as a lock in both cases. Like a Butterfly knife or a gravity knife.
Always thought the definition was that you had to engage a mechanism to release the blade for it to be a lock knife, be it a liner lock, frame lock etc.
Where as a slip joint needs nothing another than pressure on the blade.

Happy to be wrong.
I have to admit that was my understanding too hence why butterfly knives would be named specifically as opposed to be a non locking folder.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
The article does say blade, and discression by the judge, I wonder what happens if your caught twice thrice or more with a small screwdriver that you forgot, forgetting is not a good enough reason!

You can't argue with a warning, like a caution. The police dish them out without trial and straight onto the police computer. Then the next time you are a repeat offender, you have been warned,prior record "he's got form Gavna", and you will get railroaded with a criminal justice system with no course for reply, one that is controlled by the accusers.

A screwdriver is not a bladed article under s.139.

You don't have to accept a police caution, you can refuse and have your day in court.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE