Knife cleaning in the field?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Might be slightly off topic but couldnt think of anywhere else to put it. While out fishing last week I bagged three trout of between 2 and 3 lbs. Good times. Anyway, I clean and prepare fish as soon as they leave the water more or less but was a bit apprehensive about using my new Helle Fjellkniven for the job. I know I am being a bit precious about it but did not want it smelling of fish guts and so on,especially going back into the sheath. Any tips on giving it a good clean out in the field? Any tips greatly appreciated. No jokes about me being soft please, I know how silly I now look. From your ocd suffering fellow bushcrafter, Tim.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Lots of water and grass to wipe it down with,then dry it on your trouser leg.Once you get home a bit of warm soapy water should do the trick.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I think the helle's are pretty well finished so a good wash off in water and a wipe with a cloth should be fine.

Personally I have a stainless mora clipper I use for food prep - I'm happy that I can wash / boil etc it and the sheath if necessary and occasionally bung it in the dishwasher if I feel the need.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Helles are fine for this kind of work.
Just a quick rinse in the stream/ river and a wipe.
Make sure it is dry before re-sheathing .
Great knives!
Chris.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
great knives!
If you are realy paranoid you could always carry a packet of anti-bac wipes....but I am of the water/grass/trouserleg cleaning train of thought:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sphagnum moss does a good job at cleaning a manky blade.

I'm another one though who carries a second knife for game prep, a little Fallkniven TK4.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Carry some bio degradable soap buddy if you know your going to be game prepping, if not you can use birch leaves big hand full wet them and rub your hands together to get a lather up and clean the blade thorougly and then dry off, id never wipe my knife on my trouser leg its bad practice imo, you risk cutting your self and if its not clean you impart bacteria into your clothing and after a few days your putting baddies back on your blade and if you use it for food you could end up with a dodgy belly better off pulling your T shirt out if tucked in and drying it off while your looking at it proplerly or using something else. Your very right about not getting bacteria into your sheath, or any food residue..Being out for a week or weeks you need to keep your knife very clean and sharp, a small bottle of alchohol gel is worth its weight in gold and weighs next to nowt, wash it and wipe a little gel on it. Hygene in the field is something often overlooked, and should be thought about just as much as any other skill, ive seen people even on a weeks course go down hill rapidly and ive had to badger them to keep clean, dry/air their doss bags in the morning, not sleep in their clothes they have had on during the day etc. err i digress lol ;). good post buddy, one to make folks think...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When I stop to prep food I nearly always brew up so I always make sure I boil a little extra and use that to clean my knife. No need to dry as the metal heats up so fast that it evaporates it off seconds after.

ATB

Tom

Thanks for the tips guys! I always use moss to clean my hands after prepping game so why I didnt think to use it to clean tools is beyond me! The alcohol gel is another good tip too. Jonnie Drake stated he put his knife over a flame. Sounds good in theory but can it have any damaging effects long term to the metal? Thanks, Tim.

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
Depends how hot you let the knife get. If you pass the knife through flame quickly and the knife never exceeds 100 celsius you'll be ok for sure. If you let the blade get hot for long you'll effectively temper it, thus ruining it.

Dave

Being a wipe on the trouser leg type also, I've been wondering recently wether there's a health hazard with fire steels? I tend to use just one knife, often light the fire with a fire steel, quick wipe and then on to prep some food. The knife does get coated with beige powder from the steel, which is probably not part of your recommended 5 a day?
Separate stainless food prep knife seems like a good way forward.

Last edited:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I always rinse it in the river after gutting my trout and then wipe with a cloth, then clean properly at home.

If out in the field for any length of time then i'd probably favour rinsing as above and then dunking in some boiling water for a few seconds to kill any bacteria.

xylaria

Baby wipes. They burn when dry so germs are dealt with and they have enough solvent to remove the smell of fish from a blade. For short stays I have used them to replace wash kit. for long stays a bar of carbolic soap grated will clean anything and remove any smell.

Jun 15, 2010
nomad
I use sand and water to clean my mora , sand helps to clean fat , works well for clean hands also ,if its no sand near, i use ground that are available .
just take ground with few fingers make it wet and rub slightly flat side of knife ,wash with clean water after

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
bit of alcohol gel might do the trick too, even better alcohol gel then a quick lick of flame and let the alcohol burn off. Thats pretty much a bio lab procedure!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE