The Best Survival Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
by Leon Pantenburg

Bring up a subject around the campfire, like the best caliber for a deer rifle, best salmon fly or the best all-around survival knife and you will get opinions!

But the survival knife topic begs to be explored. Of all the tools needed to ensure your survival in an emergency wilderness situation, a good knife would have to be ranked number one. Then the debate begins!

First, you have to know what you need. Your survival knife must be lightweight, convenient and easy to carry, do the job for which it is intended and be adaptable to the situation. Probably most importantly, it needs to be tough, durable and easy to sharpen.

Over the years, my preference in such knives has changed.

On my 1980 Mississippi River canoe trip, a Buck folder rode on my hip from the headwaters at Lake Itasca, Minnesota, to Venice, Louisiana. The folder, with two, 3-1/2 inch blades, worked well for cleaning fish, sharpening wiener sticks, whittling kindling for the fire and spreading peanut butter. The knife went on backpacking trips on the John Muir Trail, through Yellowstone National Park, and on many canoe trips.

Folding hunting knives were the rage at the deer camp I belonged to in Mississippi in the early 1980s, and a Buck or Schrade was standard. We killed man deer and the folders worked well for gutting, skinning and cutting meat. But we were hardly in a wilderness situation, and seldom far from a road or vehicle. In retrospect, our folders were great, effective hunting knives, but as survival choices, they had a built-in design problem.

Any folding knife’s weak spot is the hinge. When that breaks, you end up with two pieces. So, as well as my Buck had performed, it was retired two decades ago when I moved to Idaho. I was hunting elk and deer in the mountains, deep in the wilderness, and needed a sturdy hunting knife, in addition to a survival tool. That was when I chose my current hunting/survival knife: a Cold Steel SRK.

Now, after several decades of on-the-job testing, I have narrowed my survival knife choices down to three:
Swiss Army Knife Classic. I was given a Classic in 1994. Immediately, I went from wondering what good the dinky little knife could be, to wondering how I ever got along without it!

Measuring 2-1/4 inches long, and weighing one ounce, the Classic contains all the classic Swiss Army tools, including a small blade for cutting, a pair of mini scissors, a nail file with a screwdriver tip, a toothpick, tweezers, and a key ring. I ran into a through hiker on the Pacific Crest Trail last summer, near Elk Lake, Oregon, and the only knife she’d carried since Mexico was a Classic.

The Classic goes everywhere with me, including hunting camps, but it is definately not the only knife I carry. Along with a bigger sheath knife, the two knives can handle everything. Of the tools in the Classic, you’ll find yourself using the tweezers and scissors the most.

Fixed blade Mora: The current favorite among survival schools seems to be the four-inch, fixed-blade Scandinavian Mora style knives. I love the design. It looks like a paring knife with a sheath, and works well for peeling potatoes, cutting rope, and other camp chores. The Mora style is a superb choice for cleaning fish, upland and small game, and it rides in my hunting vest when I’m after birds.
I ordered six different models several years ago to test the steel for fire-making potential and their use with the Boy Scouts.

My favorite Mora ended up being a knife recommended by wilderness expert Peter Kummerfeldt: a Kellam model M571 fixed blade. The knife weighs 2.5 ounces, and the sheath, wrapped with about six feet of bright duct tape, adds another 2.5 ounces. The forged blade holds an edge and is easily sharpened. It’s another of those knives I wouldn’t want to get along without.

Cold Steel SRK: I bought my SRK in 1991 to use as an all-around general hunting/survival knife. The blade is 3/16″ thick and 6″ long; the Kraton handle is 4-3/4 inches long; overall length is 10-3/4 inches. My SRK, without sheath, weighs eight ounces, and 10.5 with sheath wrapped in duct tape.

For what I need, the SRK is perfect. The knife has field dressed about 50 deer and been used on several elk. In one instance, I field dressed and quartered three deer without it needing sharpening. The handle never gets too slick to hold safely, no matter how messy the field dressing job gets. The knife’s performance is so impressive that two of my elk-hunter friends also bought SRKs.

Another good choice is the Cold Steel Master Hunter. For folks who want a little less blade, but the same none-slip handle and good design, the Master Hunter might be the best choice. The blade design works particularly well for skinning.

My SRK still gets a lot of hard use, since most of camping I do these days is with Boy Scout troops. The SRK is pounded with a wooden baton to split kindling, and that allows us to leave the hatchets and axes at home.

A multi-tool frequently goes along on my outings, because a set of tools can prove to be invaluable. I hike and hunt the desert frequently, and find my multi-tool works well to pull rusty barbed wire off abandoned fences.

My favorite multi-tool is the Leatherman Wave. I got the Wave for Christmas several years ago, and so far, it has done everything I ever needed it for. In addition to pulling barbed wire, the Leatherman has also been used to remove hooks from a toothy fish, repair a radiator hose, saw wood etc.

The most appreciated use occurred one morning on the Umpqua River in western Oregon. A buddy and I were fly fishing for steelhead trout when his glasses came apart in his hand. Luckily, the Leatherman has a screwdriver that fit the hinge, and we were able to keep fishing.

Like survival knives, your multi-tool should be chosen carefully, based on your individual needs. They come in all shapes and sizes, with a variety of blades and tools. Most knife manufacturers also make multi-tools, so find a reputable company you like and start looking there.

I am a knife accumulator. In my cutlery accumulation, I have the Hitler Youth knife, and Nazi SS dagger my dad brought home from Europe in World War II, and two Samuri swords he got in the Pacific. I designed and had made a custom, hollow handle survival knife that was given to my brother Mike. I still look for knife deals at gun shows.

Maybe I have way too many knives… 20 years ago I never needed to buy another. So based on experience, and enthusiasm for the topic, here’s my take: the best survival knife is the one you have when it’s needed.

Don’t be concerned about the current fad, or how pretty or cool a knife may look. The knife you have along is the only survival knife you have!

Last edited:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
for a survival knife, EG a one tool option, id go for a fallkniven A2, a bushcraft knife, i go for somthing like a BG Bushcrafter, Enzo Trapper or a Northwest bushcraft Knife BCNW01 and a mulltitool i take my Leatherman juice KF4 everywhere.

Quoted for truth!

Exactly.

While opinions do vary as much as, or even more than, geographic locations I have my own thoughts. If there is any one thing I have learned in all my studies of survival, which includes a lot of urban survival studies, is that the knife you see as a "survival" knife has to fit the current environment....i.e; the location you dwell in and spend the most time. In my experience it is best to get really familiar with the capabilities of the knife you are able to carry the most, or access in the most places, as the odds are much higher that this will be your "survival" knife. I learned this as an abstract necessity in my time living on the streets as a teen but only found the means and the words to express this in clear thought in the past couple of years thanks mainly to coming to this forum. I still train with my larger knives don't get me wrong, but I have truly come to understand the value of the smaller knives and have spent a couple of years in serious studies of techniques with smaller knives.

Of the three I see listed in the original post the SAK definitely fits this bill. There are stronger folders available but few, if any, offer such a well made saw and that's a worth while trade off for me.

As for the Mora I will only ever be able to view a Mora as a "survival" knife if I were to find myself with one as my only knife during a "survival" situation (which I truly hope never happens).....and only if I live through it. Personally I find all of the ones I've ever handled as far too weak and much too flexible for my styles of knife use. I'd much rather have something along the lines of the Woodlore, (and I'd much prefer one styled like one that British Red made some time back) even if it were one with a shorter blade.

As for the SRK...part of my opinion depends on the steel type as to whether I'd think it's a bad choice or a really bad choice. The Carbon V models tend to be hard and brittle with a spine hard enough to throw great sparks using a flint stone to ignite tinder fungus or char cloth. I'd much prefer the spine of any knife I'm perceiving as a possible survival knife not be so hard. Secondly I don't like the all encompassing handle. I like a protruding tang if I need to baton my knife through ice to get to water, into frozen ground to dig up tubers, or into wood for whatever reasons...reaching punk, digging out grubs whatever. I am personally thinking the Fallkniven A-1 is going to fill this role for me...I'll know shortly after Monday or Tuesday as I have one on the way.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
For me, my ideal "survival" knife would have to be the most durable thing I could find as everything else wouldn't matter much if it broke!

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
For survival purposes a Fallkniven F1 or similar, for bushcraft or hunting well that’s a different question.
Or any knife I suppose that would stand up to hard use.

PREPER.............. :)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Like the original post, the best one is the one you have with you. Whether it's a Woodlore, Bailey knife, Parang or something from your cooking kit.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Or the one you make on the spot from available materials...like the old Abbo who made one out of a broken bottle and some spinifex (sp) grass.....

I don't mind the idea of making cutting tools from available materials but I'm still hoping I don't have to :)

Just got the A-1 in today. Haven't done much with it yet but I already know I'd take it over an SRK anyday. This thing is sweet.

IMG_7821.jpg

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7818.jpg

IMG_7819.jpg

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
for a survival knife, EG a one tool option, id go for a fallkniven A2, a bushcraft knife, i go for somthing like a BG Bushcrafter, Enzo Trapper or a Northwest bushcraft Knife BCNW01 and a mulltitool i take my Leatherman juice KF4 everywhere.

Machete, or camp sized knife of any kind, if we are talking survival and being able to take a tool into a survival situation (the likely hood thats ever going to happen is verrrrrrrrrry remote) A wood carving pukko sized knife would be on the bottom of my knife list, that A1 would be the smallest id want its a bloody good tool that, a leuku would be my choice personally, or perang if jungly. You look at any indiginous peoples and the knives they carry to undertake their day to day tasks (or whats known as bushcraft) and none are of the small type (or few if any) The 3 / 3.5 inch blade is usually used for Carving or food prep. Id deffo not if i had the choice want a juice on my hip, but if thats all i had it would be my prized posession, as truly said "the best survival knife is the one you have when it’s needed".....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE