Kit that's allowed to be carried on the outside of a rucksack...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
LOL! No! They were neatly engraved into little wooden posts - or printed onto little metal discs, lovingly screwed to the fence posts designed to stop said sheeple wandering off the newly tarmaced path so rendering it possible they may have to remove the map from the weatherproof envelope and work out how to use their compass - all within ear shot of the main road, carpark or souvenir shop.

What's a compass?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I didn’t know there were rules, for what you could take, carry, use.
:werd: The last rules I read about was concerning “proper camping”, and that was if’n you can’t carry it on you, ie wearing it, or carrying it in your pockets, or in a gentleman’s red spotted handkerchief, it was not “Proper camping”. So by even thinking about taking a rucksack, you’re breaking the rules.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
falklands_241393k.jpg

if the royaal marines want to put flags on the outside of there packs there more than welcome cos anyman who can say he would die and fight for his country and does so has my up most respect and can put flags and what ever else he likes on the outside of his pack and i am not going to argue why well he has been to war for my freedom so who am i to argue

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
It might be a skink... In which case it needs to be inside the pack... Newts also need to be stored inside preferably a lid pocket to prevent damage from falling objects....

this is much complicated than i first thought!

35b8thj.jpg

so what we reckoning then people, skink? eft? gecko? will it be ok on the outside or do i need to think about some way to keep the little bugger safe and sound and out of sight, either for his own safety and/or to prevent offending the eyes of non-knobbers?

more kit worries, i've never going to fit in with the cool kids at this rate

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hmm! Years ago, the first time I went, I had all sorts strapped to the outside, everything snagging and clanking! Since then, I have learned better.

I don't like huge rucksack & I like flexibility of packing options. I now have a modded golite jam. Everything fits inside apart from underneath, I have put straps on and attach a drysack with my sleeping bag & UQ or peapod inside.

Don't care if some people think I'm a knobber! It's a versatile setup, practical, comfy, easy to access my gear if needed in a hurry & its lightweight. Will post a pic later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
if the royaal marines want to put flags on the outside of there packs there more than welcome cos anyman who can say he would die and fight for his country and does so has my up most respect and can put flags and what ever else he likes on the outside of his pack and i am not going to argue why well he has been to war for my freedom so who am i to argue

pssst.... some of us aren't taking this thread seriously....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those who aren't "knobbers", take heart, perhaps one day you will meet a nice girl who will take pity on you, and you can lean how much fun it is :rolleyes:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

well said drew (well sort of anyway, the thought's there :) which is the important bit)

stuart

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
this is much complicated than i first thought!

35b8thj.jpg

so what we reckoning then people, skink? eft? gecko? will it be ok on the outside or do i need to think about some way to keep the little bugger safe and sound and out of sight, either for his own safety and/or to prevent offending the eyes of non-knobbers?

more kit worries, i've never going to fit in with the cool kids at this rate

It's a Gecko - and you're telling me you carry this on the outside of your pack!?

Oh the humanity...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
so , to clarify;

this is acceptable
ramblers3-700x570.jpg

but this isn't?
falklands_241393k.jpg

Ha ha, I like that comparison! I run my sleep mat on the outside of my Berghaus ROC the way it was designed to be used. I'll have to settle for never being as cool as some in this game. I think I can live with that though.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
pssst.... some of us aren't taking this thread seriously....

are you not?!?!?!?!?!? well! in that case i shall take my overly impassioned views elsewhere, there's bound to be a prepping site out there ready for an argument about the best kind of loo roll to stockpile, or maybe some primitive skills site for an good heated debate about which tastes better, frogspawn or moose eyes. i don't know what this website's coming to when we can't have a nice fall out about matters of personal taste!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
are you not?!?!?!?!?!? well! in that case i shall take my overly impassioned views elsewhere, there's bound to be a prepping site out there ready for an argument about the best kind of loo roll to stockpile, or maybe some primitive skills site for an good heated debate about which tastes better, frogspawn or moose eyes. i don't know what this website's coming to when we can't have a nice fall out about matters of personal taste!

shhhh, I was only saying that to calm drew down - OF COURSE I'm taking it seriously - we have lizard infringement happening here!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
shhhh, I was only saying that to calm drew down - OF COURSE I'm taking it seriously...

you had me going for a second there, i thought all the politeness on the recent conspiracy thread had turned us all soft!

......we have lizard infringement happening here!

surely it's like great crested newts though, you're not doing anything wrong by handling them unless you know about it? but then again, i know about my gecko storage/transportation sins now, that's got to make me guilty. why oh why did you have to tell me, i'll be crying myself to sleep tonight. any ideas how i can make this better, or have i already stepped way too far over the line to find a way back?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
To be honest, I don't know or care how the porters carry my gear, as long as camp is set up and tiffin ready when I arrive..........

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
you had me going for a second there, i thought all the politeness on the recent conspiracy thread had turned us all soft!

surely it's like great crested newts though, you're not doing anything wrong by handling them unless you know about it? but then again, i know about my gecko storage/transportation sins now, that's got to make me guilty. why oh why did you have to tell me, i'll be crying myself to sleep tonight. any ideas how i can make this better, or have i already stepped way too far over the line to find a way back?

OK well you are fortunate - there is a way you can carry the Gecko on the outside of your pack. In the rules, section 32B, paragraph 102, subsection 12, line 4 it clearly states.

Geckos can be carried outside of a backpack, bag or other kit trasnportation device only if (and notwithstanding) the correct teddy bear (ref. p123) is affixed to the front (hereby to be defined as the back facing element) of the pack. The colour of said Teddy Bear is subject to the seasonally defined clauses as detailed in paragraphs 10, 12 and 14 in sub section 12 of the second manual.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Geckos can be carried outside of a backpack, bag or other kit trasnportation device only if (and notwithstanding) the correct teddy bear (ref. p123) is affixed to the front (hereby to be defined as the back facing element) of the pack. The colour of said Teddy Bear is subject to the seasonally defined clauses as detailed in paragraphs 10, 12 and 14 in sub section 12 of the second manual.

ah well, we're alright after all then, here you go;
21l1thl.jpg

(apologies for the knobber's roll mat and karabiner dangling from the outside of the pack, i'll go and have a quiet word with myself immediately)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE