Keeping my feet dry!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 25, 2010
Scotland
Looking for a recommendation for some decent footwear as one of our pooches has taken a liliking to my boots - and has scoffed a pair of 12 year old Salamonds and a two-year old pair of Brashers in the past week or so. I'm now reduced to wearing a pair of antique Hoggs of Fifew sprung soled horse leather variety.

Since I seem to spend half my life in wellies ( yes it's tough down on the farm)
it woulkd be great to know if there was anything out there that could cover work use as well as walking etc. (They would need to be able to cope with cow-dung as well as the other solids and liquids encountered in daily life!)

Any suggestion welcomed, cheers.

PS Haven't got round to shooting the dog yet ( not sure which one of the seven was responsible!)

Sep 25, 2010
Scotland
Thanks - I've wondered about bamboo carbon - would they be tough enough? Had apair of Tay muckboots last year - great in the snow, kept my feet pretty warm and had good grip in the white stuff. Only trouble was I'd worn them out before summer arrived - sole started coming off and the neoprene lining at the heel had worn right through, mind you I had lived in them for about five months! I'll check out the Berghauses on the web. Thanks again.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Another vote for Muck Boots. I spend a bit of time on dairy farms too. I wouldn't want to do any serious hiking in them, but like Shewie I sometimes wear little else for days on end and they cope just fine. I have the Tack Classic Hi and the Muckmaster Hi. I find the Classic more comfortable but the grip in, er, muddy conditions is nothing like so good as that of the Muckmaster. I spray them inside now and then to keep them a bit sweeter (on the inside:)).

Just another thought, Alt-Berg do some decent footwear and I do do some serious hiking in their kit. Some of the products are waterproof but I'm not sure that they'd be entirely suitable for farm work. I prefer not to have Goretex in my footwear, it seems to make my feet smell terribly.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2010
Scotland
Hi Ged - yup as you say the muckboots are pretty good but I agree they'ré not for hiking in -which isn't too good as we keep sheep -and this invilves a hike round our hill three times a day at lambing time (usually WET).

Altbergs look good too but I think they might be a bit pricey when guttering about in cow poo.

Guess I'll really need to invest in a pair of wellies and a pair of boots as well. where's best to take out a mortgage|?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
dont know what there called of recall the shop but in the shooting mags there is a camo boot very high leg good sole to. looks like a walking / well boot would be awesome for what you want i would think. im sure they where a bit pricey though, but i think they are gortex and totaly water proof......

will try and have a look for you.......

chris

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
sorry cant find them on the net but im sure they are advertised in one of the shops in sporting gun magazine........

hope this helps......

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
I just hiked for 9 days in Karelia, through old growth conifer forest, sedge marshes, sphagnum bogs, pretty much every wet terrain, plus along reindeer lichen covered rocks and up fells.

I wore a pair of Grubs Stalkers the entire time, and had absolutely no problems!! http://www.stalkersuk.com/product_info.php?products_id=309&osCsid=89cae9186321c9a4c558403c61933c85

The Vibram sole gives a great amount of grip and sturdiness, to be honest they were as comfy and 'grippy' to walk in as any of my walking boots, and more so than some!! I am a big convert :D :D :240:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE