Keela Belay Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I haven't used that particular garment but my mountain rescue team uses Keela waterproof jackets and if they are anything to go by then Keela kit is good quality and well made. I also have a Montane belay jacket that lives in my rucksac at all times. So I would say a belay jacket is well worth having and I use mine all the while so I would guess the Keela one would be a good buy.
Hope that helps.
Chris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had the Munro since it was first launched, it's quite a heavy coat but it's built like a tank and still as waterproof as the day I got it. It was also recommended to me by a MR friend who used them in his work.

I think Keela have really got it sussed and I've never worked out why that haven't made it big.

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
Hi,
I purcahased mine from Nordic Outdoor at the Scone show earlier in the year and highly recommend it.
It's the same Primaloft that you would pay twice as much for from a more known maker.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I was in a mountain rescue team for 3 years and we used Keela Munro jackets and the salopettes. However I do not agree about it's quality. I found it heavy, not very breathable and generally a crock of ****e. I certainly wouldn't buy it personally, but that is of course my own personal view and they may have got better of course.

Sam999

Dec 2, 2010
South Wales
I use the Keela Belay jacket for casual wear and for Technical Rescue stuff in work and it's fantastic. Cheap(ish) purchase price, better than the Rab and Snugpak belay jackets that I've had before. Warmer and lighter as well and good in the wet. Can't recommend it enough.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Keela is some of the best outdoor kit around, you won't be dissapointed. It doesn't have the marketing hype of the big names (berghaus, Rab, mountain hardware etc) but the quality is WAY better and tough enough for most British mountain rescue teams.

monty

Dec 19, 2010
UK
I agree. Keela Belay is an excellent piece of kit. Been using it for a couple of days now, along with the Keela CADS polo shirt (wicking/ breathable). The combination worked a treat in this cold weather - kept me warm, dry and seemed to help maintain a regular temperature. I tend to overheat quite quickly, but the Belay/ CADS combo performed really well. Better than anything I've used before. I think the Keela Munro or Spectrum jacket is next.

Keela is owned by Armel, who apparently invented the tape seam sealing machine for waterproofing garment seams. Here's an article I found, which shows their extensive fabric testing - probably the reason why my Keela kit performs so well: http://lightweightoutdoors.com/?tag=ardmel

Knowing that Mountain Rescue teams use Keela is a good enough recommendation for me. I tend to steer away from big brands anyway. Still don't know why it's so cheap compared to North Face. Lack of advertising/ marketing hype maybe? Not complaining though!

Bought my Keela gear from TacLight (http://www.taclight.co.uk/tactical-clothing.html), along with a couple of torches that have been recommended on Bushcraft UK. I think delivery was included and service/ advice was excellent - highly recommended.

So yes, invest in Keela and don't believe those people who say it's just like Regatta gear - that's what I was told. Chances are, those people haven't tried it. Keela is highly recommended by me also.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Don't take the fact that because some mountain rescue teams use Keela gear that it means it's good stuff. All that means is the team were given a good deal by Keela. Due to mountain rescue teams being charities they have to take what's offered to them. The main teams I know of wear either Paramo or Slioch, Keela doesn't tend to be a first choice , but sometimes the only choice fir teams.
If it works for you then that's all that matters.

And yes, i have used it for a number years in a mountain rescue team

Last edited:

soldmac

Jul 17, 2012
Belgium
Hello,

could someone help me for the size. I hesitate between a M or a L, I measure 1m73 for 78kg (chest size 104 cm). I want to use it over a aclima net + a woolpower 200 (and if is it possible, sometime, over a british smock for information it's a size 170/104 and it fit me well, I just have the room for a thermal jacket).

Sorry if my english is bad (I'm Belgian)

Thank

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi guys. Anyone ever used one of these for bushcraft or military purposes? I'm thinking of investing...

Cheers,

Rich

Well, not military, but I do have one and rate it highly. It's featherlight and packs down very small. Once lofted it feels like a very worthy layer without inhibiting movement in any way. I keep it in a 0.5 ltr Alpkit dry bag bag and just chuck it in my pack. It's come in very handy at times, but is made of very soft material so used as a mid layer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE