Budget merino wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Isobaa via Sportspursuit

Be aware of not only the mulesing issue on cheap merino (and Australian) but cheap stuff isn't made from the ultra fine grade.

To get it to a fine fibre the cheap coarser wool is chemically treated to descale it etc. That is why some cheap merino itches - it's no different to any other clothing grade wool.

Good quality ultra fine 19ug or there abouts is another thing all together

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
I have some EDZ merino fingerless gloves and they are good. Warm, not itchy (even for my ultra sensitive skin).

There's quite a bit of merino wool stuff on the Varusteleka website. Does anyone have any experience of their merino wool clothing? Now that they are shipping to UK again like.....

GC

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have some EDZ merino fingerless gloves and they are good. Warm, not itchy (even for my ultra sensitive skin).

There's quite a bit of merino wool stuff on the Varusteleka website. Does anyone have any experience of their merino wool clothing? Now that they are shipping to UK again like.....

GC
I have a few bits of merino from them. Seems well made and comfortable. FYI they never stopped shipping clothing to the UK

Toby1

Aug 29, 2022
Sussex
Merino wool - army surplus and Go Outdoors

I must say I have continued to buy army surplus stuff for a long time. I recently started again a couple or more years ago and found that the vast majority of stuff is great quality, especially if you go into the store and select it and get to know the owner. Merino wool stuff is available on occasions from Forces Uniform and Kit online and it is very good if you can get it. I also got a merino wool base layer top from Go Outdoors about 3-4 years back and it is great.

I visits army surplus in most areas I travel to for work and there are some great ones and some not so great but well worth seeking them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Not Marino, but I bought a few pairs of the Swedish army ribbed long john form Military Mart, which I think are fantastic for £1.50 each. I also bought 15 pairs of their Dutch army wool socks which were less than £2 a pair which I also think are fantastic, but they appear to be out of stock of the wool socks, currently.

I gave them all a wash before wearing but honestly, the majority of the socks looked like they'd never been worn.

I've used the long johns for 2 winters now, and the socks I've worn right through the summer as they're comfy with boots on. None have worn through on the soles and none even look close to wearing through.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I have a few bits of merino from them. Seems well made and comfortable. FYI they never stopped shipping clothing to the UK
I have two of the Merino Henley tops, very well made, not itchy, and the sizing guide is accurate. The fabric is, as a rough guide, about twice as thick as the merino base
layers in Mountain Warehouse. I was tempted by the full zip top they sell, but have decided on a Woolpower instead due to the Terry knit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE