Karrimor Predator Tecmac 50

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Righto firstly a little waffle about myself.
Usually I use a 120litre web tex bergen when out and about which results in me putting everything plus the kitchen sink in it as it has the space then trying to carry it a short distance from drop off point to my permission campsite.
I want to get a bit more mobile and stop taking so much ''Vital'' stuff that is only ''Vital'' because I have space to fit it in. so when Beer monstor posted a link to this new pack and then said that soldier of fortune were stocking them I took the oppourtunity to abuse my credit card,solve my kitchen sink packing,get a new bit of kit (always a winner) and maybe get a bit more mobile and hopefully(very hopefully) loose a bit of wieght due to moving more.

Anyways enough about my thinking/excuses for buying this pack and time for a bit of technical specs courtesy of http://pri.lemmin.com the manufacturors of the pack.

Code: M010
Sizes: 50 Litre

Predator Technical Multi Adaptable Carrier (TECMAC) 50 draws from our experience of load carriage design for equipment carried into combat such as the C4i and ECM. The removable adjustable internal frame allows many different types and sizes of equipment to be carried securely. The lid and kit bag are removable allowing the back system part and mounted equipment to be carried alone. The hip belt can also be concealed when not in use.
● Palm back system
● Concealable waist belt
● Quick release belt buckle
● S-shaped shoulder harness
● Sternum strap
● Removable lid
● Removable main compartment
● Adjustable equipment carriage
● Compatible with side pockets (PLCE)
● Lid pocket
● Stuff pockets
● MOLLE webbing front and sides
● Ski guides
● Compression straps
● Carry handle
● Rotproof thread
● Reinforced with bartacks
● Durable water repellent (DWR)
● YKK zips

Now for my own testing, Bedfordshire especially the part I live in doesn't have huge mountains or miles and miles of rugged wilderness :( so I have been a little creative finding testing conditions.
First of all an hour long walk with the dog around Deepdale and the sand quarry. Deepdale is primarily pine woodland with assorted trails from horse riding,dog walking and generations of BMX riding children so interesting ground conditions, it also has a few nice steep up and down bits so made for a nice test.
I only used the pack without adding the side pockets at first, it was packed with sleeping bag,jumper, infla mat and FAK to add a bit of weight for the test and see how the pack sat on me.
After the initial putting on I hardly noticed I was wearing the pack. The belt of the pack is more a belly belt than a hip belt which I personally prefer. another good feature is that the belt closure is not a male female clip but a thread through buckle as hopefully visible in the below pic of Lady of Tanith kindly modelling the pack
predator011.jpg

The Pack sits mainly on the back without anything rubbing anywhere, on the side of the pack is an elasticated pocket which takes one osprey waterbottle so water is easily accessed without having to unload the entire pack
predator010.jpg
(these can also be accessed when the side pockets are attached but more on those later :))

The closure for the main body of the pack is a snow lock which folds several times before clipping over the main compartment. a further clip from back of the frame to front of the pack secures it very well whilst leaving space sufficient for a tarp underneath it.

The Floating lid has one large pocket with plenty of storage capacity to get to witohut having to open the main pack. it would easily hold waterproof jacket map or in my case tea hot chocolate and sugar. I have never used a pack with a floating lid before so I am still on a bit of a learning curve here but so far I can see the merits of one.

MOLLE webbing is another new thing to me and I own nothing else with MOLLE but it is compatible with ALICE clip fittings which my FAK has so I can mount it on the front and have it easily to hand without having to rummage through the pack and bleed everywhere should i or anyone else have booboo. It also takes the web tex utility pouch fixings (I am not sure the term for the fixings I suspect its plce but I may well be wrong.) to allow an easily accessed brew kit and accompanying gubbins
predator002.jpg

Side pockets are two ammo pouches and one omni pouch both of these have velcro closures and male female clips to close. The velcro also has coverings attached to the pocket to cover the velcro fixings allowing silent openings (helpful for sneaking munchies when no ones watching)
The Ammo pouches take one large FFD a small FFD and a small badger UCO candle lantern small trowel, tobacco pouch and pipe(not in one that was what i fitted in all four of them)
The omni pouch will take crusader cup and osprey water bottle upright with space to spare or plastic osprey cup and three rat pack boil in the bag meals
predator012.jpg

Another good feature is that the back of the side pockets is one large pocket that runs the length of the side pocket with space for GB hand axe, camp knife bahco laplander saw allowing for easy access when in camp but not visible to the general public to cause them distress.

Overall this is a good pack with ooodles of well thought out features plenty of ooh thats clever extras with hard wearing manufacturing behind it.

predator008.jpg

predator009.jpg

I dont think the web tex bergen will get many outings until winter at the very earliest

I'm still waiting for the seperate omni pocu to be delivered.

Sam

Last edited:

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Good review thanks

Just a couple of questions.
what sort of back adjustments does the pack have or is it a fixed setup?
how tall care you?
Is it possible to post some picc`s with the pack removed just showing the frame, as this is what has attracked me to this pack in the first place and finally can you get some accurate weights of pack,frame and complete setup please?

Sorry about all the above but i cannot find anybody near me who stocks the product??

Many thanks

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Good, honest review. Thanks for taking the time.

I'm not after a new pack at the moment...but those side pockets are PLCE compatable so I'll get one soon!

Simon

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Good comprehensive review,thanks and arrgh(thanks for the review and arrgh co's i like it and i really should'nt as ive got enough sack's)
In some pics it looks huge,and in others quite small, is the frame size and back that of the sabre 45l.

Glad you all like the review i was sweating bricks bout it.:thankyou:

UK Dave i am approx five foot ten in height if that helps and i shall get some more pics up for you in next couple of days
Andybysea i havent seen a sabre 45 in the flesh so i cant comment tho the predator does seems to have tardis like qualities.
Simon M one of the things i like about the pockets is that they arent just effectively micro packs and are more organised it really saves having to scrabble around looking for something and i suspect i shall end up with an almost OCD level of arrangement of my smaller items.
Nat whats wrong with a webtex bergen? :pokenest: :D

Lurch get em in mate even if only so you can nab one yourself!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Build a fire from scratch, in the rain... No problem!

Build a shelter from scratch, in the rain... No problem!

Source and make potable, water... No problem!

Resist the temptation to buy new gear...
happy0009.gif

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
why cant i sea lurchs post or is it on a diffrent thread to this and sam my mum, my credut card officially dispise you due to me wanting one and trying to get the idea past mum and probably going to buy one in the not so distant future. lol only joking cracking review though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE