Karrimor Predator Tecmac 50

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Been deleted and I've had my legs slapped for advertising where I shouldn't have.
:rolleyes:

Bad lad :D

Great review, you've sold me. The side pockets look way better than I thought. Cheers for turning a 95% interest into an obsession.

Mark, mine will be ordered from you in the coming weeks when I find more money goodjob

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The question is, is it worth paying the extra for the 50 over the 45?
I'm not sure if I want the removable sac. I've been able to do that for years with my external frame packs.
How many times have I taken the pack off to use the frame to carry something?
Never.
Might be a bit of a gimmick for me.
However, I am liking those side pockets, I may pick up a couple for putting onto my sabre.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
glad you like the review
youll love the pack

Would it be possible to fix these new side pockets to the back of the Predator by the MOLLE webbing and have two standard PLCE pockets on the sides. The new pockets only give 5L and the standard ones 15L which would be a loss of 20L

Last edited:
Would it be possible to fix these new side pockets to the back of the Predator by the MOLLE webbing and have two standard PLCE pockets on the sides. The new pockets only give 5L and the standard ones 15L which would be a loss of 20L

could probably be done with a bit of strapping i should imagine

I've never had an external frame so i couldnt comment on if it is gimmicky but i figured as i was expending a fair whack of cash and probably retiring my other pack i decided to get the bigger of the two.

i intend to experiment with the bergen i had prior to this with the predator side pockets to see if i can still have the bigger pack to hold buky winter sleeping bags but the ocd friendly kit organising side pockets

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
could probably be done with a bit of strapping i should imagine

I've never had an external frame so i couldnt comment on if it is gimmicky but i figured as i was expending a fair whack of cash and probably retiring my other pack i decided to get the bigger of the two.

i intend to experiment with the bergen i had prior to this with the predator side pockets to see if i can still have the bigger pack to hold buky winter sleeping bags but the ocd friendly kit organising side pockets

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to receive mine on Monday and looking for the best combination:You_Rock_

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Nice review, and thanks for the bump as I missed it the first time round after seeing your initial posts on the bag.

I like the look of the side pouches especially and although I initially balked at the price of them, I'll see how I feel pay day :D

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i bagged meself one of these second hand off an airsoft forum for the princely sum of 35 quid posted!
my rucksack is the bowman radio carrier which is basically the same as the tecmac 50 but with a different lid and minus the molle loops.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Considering the vertical distance from the waist belt to the shoulder-strap attachment point, this bag must have been designed for someone the height of an oompa-lumpa???

Looking at the photos, the waist belt is too far above the hips to be effective and the shoulder-strap is way down the back whereas it should be level with the top of the shoulder. Even the Sabre 45 with it's limited back length isn't as bad as that!

I'd be interested (from anyone who finds it comfortable) why such a short back is preferrable? (my apologies if I've inadvertently offended any oompa-lumpas reading... :) )

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
It's designed for the military and is high so you can wear combat webbing with it.

Considering the vertical distance from the waist belt to the shoulder-strap attachment point, this bag must have been designed for someone the height of an oompa-lumpa???

Looking at the photos, the waist belt is too far above the hips to be effective and the shoulder-strap is way down the back whereas it should be level with the top of the shoulder. Even the Sabre 45 with it's limited back length isn't as bad as that!

I'd be interested (from anyone who finds it comfortable) why such a short back is preferrable? (my apologies if I've inadvertently offended any oompa-lumpas reading... :) )

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
That is what I'm asking I guess - if it is not worn as intended (ie with webbing), how comfortable is it? (assuming the wearer is of average height)

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Personally i find rucks like that comfortable, probably because i'm used to wearing webbing. Even though, i prefer a high riding pack to a low riding one when just out hiking and not yomping.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
That is what I'm asking I guess - if it is not worn as intended (ie with webbing), how comfortable is it? (assuming the wearer is of average height)

If you fill it with a full load of outdoor kit and add on a pair of PLCE pouches that'll be approx 80 ltrs of kit ( 50 ltr pack with 2x 15 ltr side pockets)

I agree if you have a average or long back the waist belt will have minimal value so you'd be carrying the weight on your shoulders.. .

It depends how far and over what terrain you're carrying the weight...

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Thanks chaps :)

I saw this pack in a shop in Exeter last week, it looked great but I think I will have to go with a Sabre 75 to make sure I get the right size back.

Very handy to see the photos here as I didn't try it on in the shop, so thanks again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE