Is this knife any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
F

FreshMint

Hi
I do some hiking in the wicklow mountains and I'm planing a longer 4 day tour.
I was looking for a knife and since I cannot find a good link for a fixed blade (what I would prever, If somebody can specificly recommend me a not to expensive fixed blade that deliver to Ireland I would very much aprechiate this)

But i found this knife from gerber on militarykit.com as far as I can see it is not a fixed blade, still do you think this will do me ?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I don't know which Gerber you are referring to.

What do you plan to do during your hike? Will you be fishing? Will you need a knife for food prep? Will you be doing any "bushcraft"? In other words, in what ways do you intend to use your knife?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
A cheap fixed blade has got to be a Frosts hasn't it?

£4.99 from Bushwear last time I looked (plus P+P)

F

FreshMint

Hoodoo said:
I don't know which Gerber you are referring to.

What do you plan to do during your hike? Will you be fishing? Will you need a knife for food prep? Will you be doing any "bushcraft"? In other words, in what ways do you intend to use your knife?

Food preperation Yes
Fishing : Maybe

But mosly i need the knife for if (hopefully not) get into trouble and need a good tool

I was revering to this knife

Gerber LST Magnum Knife - Standard Blade

gerber_knife_lst_magnum_standard_blade.jpg

Hi,

If it were me i would go for the Frost mora:

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nested-products.php?prod_brand=Frost

It is really sturdy, holds a good edge, and let's face it - you won't scream if you lose it!

It is similar in design to most of the all round knives that a lot of us use and a brilliant starter knife.

I think that last time this knife was discussed, the P&P from bushkit was only a quid too!!

Just to say - i've got no affiliations to the above company - i just like a bargain!!!
:D

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
To be honest it looks a tad too comlicated (finger grooves, folder etc.). I'm with Buckshot, go for a £5 Mora either from Frosts or KJ eriksson. It is a fixed blade which are better suited for bushcraft and it's excellent. Don't let the price at 5£ fool you, they're very good. ;)

F

FreshMint

This one here right ?

FR1.jpg

If i have the cash would the second one be any better ?

FR2.jpg

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Really - go with the £4.99 one. It is an excellent first knife, you can make mistakes with it, damage it, sharpen it badly etc. and it only costs you a fiver. Once you know exactly what you want the knife for you can make a more informed choice on buying a more expensive knife - but there's nothing worse than buying a expensive knife and then finding it doesn't suit your hand or the tasks you would most use it for.

Once again - the green handled frosts mora is an excellent tool. Bushwear will also throw in a ferro rod with it for a tenner + £1 p&P if you say you're a BCUK member. Given that a ferro rod on its own is normally a tenner you can look at it as though the knife is free! :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
HTML:
This one here right ?
Yep thats the Mora, I just got one as a first knife and was suprised at how sturdy and good it was. People dont believe me when I tell them the price, it feels and looks like it should cost a lot more!

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi FreshMint

I'll often say that folks should look at a handmade knife when they talk about spending the big pounds, but if you are looking for a good knife that will do anything and everything you ask of it then the Frost Mora is as good as you can get. They handle well, throw good sparks off a firesteel and are pretty much bomb-proof.

:D

Of course, after you buy one and if you spend some time here, you may just feel the urge to spend a little more on something handmade...........

:rolleyes:

Danzo

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I agree with everyone else that the Frost will be a better choice. Once you get a good feel for using a knife and have handled a few that belong to others, you will learn what you like an dislike and can make a more educated decision on buying the more expensive custom.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That Gerber has too many finger grooves (and too deep) for my personal preferences. For a pocket knife, you might consider a Swiss Army knife. Maybe one with a saw blade. For a fixed blade, the Mora is a great choice but the sheath leaves something to be desired. But the knife is worth having a custom kydex or leather pouch sheath made for it. A lost knife is not much good to anyone, eh? Any of these three moras will do you well on a hike. My favorite is the M2K, on the far right.

moras1b.jpg

The knife you posted with the bolsters is a bit handle heavy and pricey to boot. I don't see what you gain with that. I do have a similar model, the Lapplander, but the scales are custom with no brass bolsters so the knife is lighter and has better balance. It's a great choice but you would have to buy the blade blank and have scales put on.

fulltangscandis3.jpg

If you want something more heavy duty in a scandi grind, Allan Blade's bushcrafter or the WS Woodlore are good choices. There are lots of others if you shop around over on British Blades.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Just wanted to add that bushwear.co.uk are a good supplier in my short experience with them, so if you were going to get a mora they'd be a good option :).

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hoodoo where did you get those Kydex sheaths done? They look really good.

I was going to make my own leather one but those are better than anything I could do.

Cheers

leon-1

Ed W said:
Hoodoo where did you get those Kydex sheaths done? They look really good.

I was going to make my own leather one but those are better than anything I could do.

Cheers

They look very much like they have been made by Allan Blade and I have heard that Allan has done Kydex for Mora's before now. :)

F

FreshMint

Thanks guys :) I apprechiate all your help, I will go with the Frost 5 Pounds and see when I get really used to the knife and than maybe buy something "better" in a couple of years.

F

FreshMint

I deff will buy the frost, bit I have found a knife I want very desperatly alredy :D

symfoni.jpg

i think I will buy this knife in the near future but keep it at home untill I'm "ready" and have some training as in outdoor bushcraft courses under my belt.

What do you all think about this knife ?

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I run a weekend wilderness survival course here in Brazil several times a year. I searched high and low for a suitable "starter"knife on the market here with no luck at all. I was in the States last year and ordered a few of the Mora knives for T&E. I picked up a red handled #1, a Clipper, and green handled Swedish Army Knife (SWAK). AS soon as i opened the box I went to the computer and ordered a few more of the SWAK. At $10 each i couldn't believe the quality.

I set them up with a length of paracord as a lanyard. I also put a BSA Hotspark on the lanyard. I dressed the blade spines with a mill file so they are perfectly square. Now they spark the ferro rod very well. As a general purpose knife they can't be beat for the money.
To every pair of students I issue them a 14 inch Tramontina machete and a SWAK. This has worked out very well so far.

My only complaint is that every student that takes the course asks me to get him a SWAK! Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE